Just upgraded to a 520. . . . and need some advice

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Just upgraded to a 520. . . . and need some advice

Post by JPG »

:D :D :D :D :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As for keeping the old tables and carriage that is up to you and what use you think you may have for them in the future. If it were me, I would keep the Extension Table since it can be used simply as an extra support. You already have it which could come in handy unless the upgrade didn't come with the Extension Table posts for the 520 Extension Table. There is some market for used Mark 5/V 500 table and carriage parts since they have been discontinued if you decide to sell them.

Some of the accessories mentioned can be used with modifications while others cannot. The Mortise Hold Down needs a "T" nut & washer on the end of the post to be used on the 520 Fence. I purchased the threaded post, "T" nut and washer to upgrade one I had. The Shaper Fence from the 500 can be adapted by adding mounting holes that line up with the tables mounting holes. The Sanding Disk needs the longer arbor to be able to be used with the lower Saw Guard for dust collection. The shorter arbor Sanding Disk can still be used without changing its arbor and without dust collection, but we all know how messy that is. A short arbor Sanding Disk can still be used for sharpening Lathe Chisels or similar operations when the lower guard would not be used. The original table/500 Saw Blade Arbors 505511 for the 1-1/4" hole and 555321 for the 5/8" hole blades cannot be used because of the design of the Lower Saw Blade Guard. It is Arbors 555130 for the 1-1/4" hole and 555608 for the 5/8" hole saw blades that are longer for use on the Mark V 505/510/520, Mark 7 and Mark 4. The Lower Saw Blade Guard for those models, because of its design, needs longer arbors. For the Mark V it is the Table/Carriage system that determines which model it is. The difference between the 505/510 and the 520, Mark 7 and Mark 4 is the fence system on the larger tables they all share. There is another difference not related to the OP's questions having to do with the bench and double tilt which all current models (Mark 4, Mark V 520s and Mark 7) for sale by Shopsmith now apparently have.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

chapmanruss wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:49 am There is another difference not related to the OP's questions having to do with the bench and double tilt which all current models (Mark 4, Mark V 520s and Mark 7) for sale by Shopsmith now apparently have.
You've got me wondering it the Model 520, no "S," has been quietly discontinued.(?) I didn't see it in the printed catalog, and now can't find a link to it in the on-line catalog. I tried three different approaches, which either took me to M7 or 520S. I guess that would make sense, as the 520S with everything isn't much different than a 520 and was about the same price IIRC.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

David,

When they added the Mark 4 recently, they changed the Mark V 520 to 520S. The Mark V 520S is being made available like the Mark 4 with the base, headstock, carriage and main plus extension tables to which you add the Work Packages needed for the five basic functions as you go. If you buy all five packages which includes the Extend Your Workspace Package (floating tables and related) at the same time with the base unit, the price is the same as buying a complete Mark V 520. The difference between the Mark V 520S and the Mark 4 is the length of the tubes (bench and way) being shorter on the Mark 4. Another apparent change to the Mark V 520S is double tilt ends and is shown for the Mark 4 too.

Something I like seeing is the Extend Your Workspace Package that now allows Mark V 520 owners to add 2 additional Floating Tables, 4 additional 27” Connecting Tubes and 2 additional Telescoping Legs to expand their workspace at a price less than buying the individual parts from Shopsmith. Something I had considered but ended up getting 2 more floating tables recently. Having the extra tables comes in handy at times. I can configure my Marks with infeed and/or outfeed tables or go extra wide.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Devinsandoval
Bronze Member

Post by Devinsandoval »

Thank you this information its very helpful for me