Just upgraded to a 520. . . . and need some advice

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bgeagle
Gold Member

Just upgraded to a 520. . . . and need some advice

Post by bgeagle »

I'm running out of space and I wonder if I should keep the old tables that have been replaced by the 520 main table, the extension tables and floating tables?
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Just upgraded to a 520. . . . and need some advice

Post by algale »

I wouldn't. You won't ever go back to them.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

The extension-table base might come in handy — it’s the same as on the 520 extension table. I bought one from an eBay seller to convert a 520 floating table into another extension table, so that I’d have one for each end of the machine.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I kept the tables and the carriages when I upgraded , I have used carriages and ext tables on both sides of the headstock and used the MKV fence as a stop when duplicating long pieces . IMO they do come in handy . I posted pictures some time ago using a 12in power miter saw clamped to a main table , the 6x6 were supported by the extension tables to cut 6x6 oak beams and a MKV fence mounted to a ext table and carriage for a stop . It was not a SS function and may not be in the book but the thing sure was handy . the main table allowed me to raise and lower the saw as needed to use with the ext tables . JMO
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
bgeagle
Gold Member

Post by bgeagle »

Thanks for all the ideas. Now, I suppose the table saw inserts and arbors I have won't work with the new 520. Any ideas on those and other parts that will be obsolete and will not work with the 520?
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Router Shaper fence is different. I actually kept my old table and carriage around for a while because of this. Have since gone to 510/520 shaper/router fence.

Sanding Disc - Old ones will work, but you won't get the available dust collection benefit available by using the long-arbor version with the lower saw guard.

Table inserts and saw arbors - Correct. The insert is completely different. The new arbors are compatible with the lower saw guard, old arbors are not.

There is probably more I have not thought of. There is a difference in the M&T stuff, I think it's the mortising hold down. I never had the old version and am not sure how it worked.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

"Old" saw arbors will work (ya just need to extend the quill slightly).

All the other arbors are compatible.

The M&T holddown only differs in where/what it attaches to and how. The old one does not have a tapped end on the mounting rod.

Other than the table inserts everything else is 'usable' but may require different methods.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

JPG wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:16 pm "Old" saw arbors will work (ya just need to extend the quill slightly).
520 lower saw guard won't work with the old arbors.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Whatsa lower saw guard? ;)

I keep forgetting what did not come with mine is now de rigor(sp?).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

JPG wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:10 pm Whatsa lower saw guard? ;)

I keep forgetting what did not come with mine is now de rigor(sp?).
Without the safety/dust collection provided by the lower saw guard, the rigor mortis may set in. Not to be confused with bigger mortise.