drilling steel with a 510

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mgbbob
Gold Member

drilling steel with a 510

Post by mgbbob »

Hi, I am not sure where this goes so I will start here. I have used my 510 for drilling wood project but never on steel. Is there any reason it would not perform as a metal drill press for light duty use.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: drilling steel with a 510

Post by Hobbyman2 »

What size hole / bit are you talking ? Drilling steel involves oil , are you sure you want oil on the tables ? this being said drill speed is everything when it comes to drilling steel . most steel drilling should involve a vice of some sort to keep the steel from becoming a safety hazard . my guess is the SS has the capacity and power to drill up to a 1/2 inch hole through most steel 3/8 thick or less with no problem . JMO if it is all I had and had to drill a hole it would fast become the tool I would use . JMO
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Yes, you can. There is a section on it in the manual so I suggest reading that first for things to be aware of. Because of RPM range I would not exceed 1/2" or so. It's very important to keep bits sharp and use cutting oil. This will help you avoid excessive downward pressure which could damage your table. And clean up thoroughly and frequently, neither the shavings nor oil mix well with woodworking or the machine. IIWM I'd also use plywood or similar between the metal and table.

- David
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

P.S. The 'left' side of 510/520 tables has less inherent stiffness than the right, especially the black tables. And no part of the table is anywhere near as strong as a traditional vertical drill press table. I avoid that weaker part for anything that applies much point pressure to the table. I'm sensitive to this because my first 520 table (used) was seriously warped to the left of the insert. I don't know what the PO did, but something bent the table enough for a permanent set.

- David
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I've drilled plenty of steel up to 1/2". The lubricant/coolant cleans up with a rag and helps keep little bits of steel from flying around everywhere, and those little bits of steel clean up quickly with a magnet, which makes steel better to work with than other metals. You don't have to use simple cutting oil though, there are coolants specifically for drilling like Cool Tool. Keep the speed down, and you just need to get used to the right pressure on the quill feed to keep the bit cutting without creating excess heat. Go slow, up and down over time to keep the metal and bit cool.

I think for 3/8" and up you should get a carbide drill bit. Those are less expensive than ever now and will last a long time. Remember that are different steel alloys and grades. Typical mild weldable hot roll steel is much softer than cold roll and for all operations you are better off with the mild stuff whenever that's feasible.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Post by SteveMaryland »

On December 14th 2020, I emailed Shopsmith with the following question:

Question: i own a shopsmith 510 with a shopsmith bandsaw.
i need to cut some stainless steel shim (.008"). i do not see a steel-cutting blade offered in the catalog. can shopsmith sell me a suitable 72" steel cutting blade?  does shopsmith endorse using the bandsaw for any steel cutting?

And here is their resopnse:

Mr. _________:
The Shopsmith is specialized as a woodworking machine and cannot be used for Metal materials.

And this is not the first time I have gotten bum info from Shopsmith, as follows:

October 30th 2021, Question: i have a mark 5 with a 514865 motor (115 vac) and i think i will need to be replacing the brushes soon. please advise if shopsmith can sell me replacement brushes for this motor or at least advise where i can get brushes. thank you.

Mr.__________,
We do not sell the brushes for the motor by themselves, you'd have to purchase the whole motor itself.
But I would recommend looking at a local motor store which will have them!

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask!

Have a good day!
-K________

Per the above, the Shopsmith motor HAS NO BRUSHES, but apparently their (authorized?) spokesperson didn't know this...

I don't want to start a word-war with Shopsmith, delightful company that they are, but sometimes they deliver bum info and that's not good. They can do better I hope.
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

SS is not alone in this regard.

Opinions seem to be pervasive in responses these days rather than knowledge based.

Sorta like can accuracy be obtained with a multi purpose thingie.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

edma194 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:42 am I've drilled plenty of steel up to 1/2". The lubricant/coolant cleans up with a rag and helps keep little bits of steel from flying around everywhere, and those little bits of steel clean up quickly with a magnet, which makes steel better to work with than other metals. You don't have to use simple cutting oil though, there are coolants specifically for drilling like Cool Tool. Keep the speed down, and you just need to get used to the right pressure on the quill feed to keep the bit cutting without creating excess heat. Go slow, up and down over time to keep the metal and bit cool.

I think for 3/8" and up you should get a carbide drill bit. Those are less expensive than ever now and will last a long time. Remember that are different steel alloys and grades. Typical mild weldable hot roll steel is much softer than cold roll and for all operations you are better off with the mild stuff whenever that's feasible.
===========

Looks like some pretty good stuff .
when I was doing a lot of pipe threading by hand we used old motor oil .
LOL boss was too tight to spring for cutting oil that would just be wasted .

Then I got a job where the new boss had a cutting threading machine , he was very picky about the oil that went into the machine .
I also worked for a fella that used wd4 on the drill press for drilling holes . he didn't like motor oil or cutting oil .
One of the articles above seems to be concentrated on cutting metals on the band saw , I have also been asked if my band saw could be used to cut meat ?
its for wood not meat , it will cut it , but clean up would take longer than cutting the meat and I have never looked for stainless steel blades for the SS . my blades have residue and pitch on them and do not believe I want the extra flavor in the meat .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

mgbbob,

You have received several opinions already. David mentioned table flex and you can add additional support with the 27" Connector Tubes and Telescoping Legs. I have used my Shopsmith's to drill metal. I use scrap wood to protect the table when doing so. I have also made several wood table inserts that can be used for drilling or other uses. Below is a picture of a Mark V 500 table that the owner didn't use anything to protect it. No matter what material you are drilling through do protect the table.

_
IMG_0040r.jpg
IMG_0040r.jpg (146.54 KiB) Viewed 3341 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
mgbbob
Gold Member

Post by mgbbob »

Thanks, I think I have my answer. I do not intend for the SS 510 to be my everyday drill press but nice to know if I get in a bind it will work. I may pull my old drill press down and try to replace the bronze bushing. If I do I need a back up and I think the SS will do that no problem.