Foot activated ON/OFF switch - Good idea or safety hazard?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tfrayne
Gold Member

Foot activated ON/OFF switch - Good idea or safety hazard?

Post by tfrayne »

I recently purchased a 1998 Mk V 510 that had been upgraded with a 520 fence and rails.

It came with LOTS of extras. Most were ShopSmith items and some were not (got a cool dovetail jig in there.)

One item I’m not sure about. It’s a foot activated ON/OFF switch. It is activated by stepping forward on the pedal and turns off by stepping on the back of the pedal.

It seems to work fine and I have it installed. I’m still learning about the machine so I’m not ready to use it per se, but I do turn it on and off as I’m using the drill chuck with a wire wheel to help clean parts.

I’m wondering if this foot pedal is something offered by ShopSmith or an aftermarket item; and whether or not more experienced SS users think it’s a good idea.

It seems to me that in normal operations one would be moving around the tool. If it were plugged in and accidentally activated, the machine would power up.

Thoughts?
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

AND I JUST THREW YOUR STINKIN PALM TREE OVERBOARD!!
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Foot activated ON/OFF switch - Good idea or safety hazard?

Post by Hobbyman2 »

My thoughts are it would depend on the application ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Do you plug your Shopsmith into this foot pedal and the switch on the headstock is still operating? If that's the case you should only plug the machine into the foot pedal when you want to use it. You have to make sure to turn off the main switch on the headstock when not in use because the foot pedal is dangerous if it could be accidently kicked or stepped on while the main switch is on.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RonKlein
Gold Member

Post by RonKlein »

If this is the foot switch that Shopsmith sold, I believe that was intended to turn on the shop vac (dust collector). It is not heavy duty enough to operate the Mark V.
Ron--K6VPV
510, upgraded to 520, now PowerPro, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, jointmatic, scroll saw, strip sander, pro planer, OPR, DC3300, and more.
tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

Thanks. That seems to make more sense. I haven’t delved into the dust collector yet.
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Yes there is a potential for inadvertent operation(both on and off).

One should be very careful using it(regardless of what is being controlled).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Post by SteveMaryland »

I had thought that a foot switch could improve safety but maybe not. My thinking was that if operator got into a jam during an operation, he (she) could shut the machine off faster and safer with a foot switch than having to reach over and find that toggle switch. It has happened...

As for the current teeny tiny toggle switch, it is tough to find in a hurry if operator has his eyes on the work. Maybe what is needed is one of those big red pushbutton emergency shutoff switches found on industrial machinery. Where would you mount it?...
Attachments
switches.GIF
switches.GIF (151.66 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

On the floor! Seriously that IS a decent idea.

Big red mushroom head like 210 x 210 above.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Shopsmith has and still does sell a remote Foot Switch. It can be found under the Dust Collection section of the online catalog as seen at the link below.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... switch.htm

I do not believe it was ever intended to be used for the Mark V or any Mark series Shopsmith. I have one and it is rated at 13 amps which I use on my Dust Collector. It works great for that.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

Here is a photo of the foot pedal. It looks to be the same as in the link provided. THANKS!
Attachments
Foot Pedal
Foot Pedal
IMG_6238.jpg (80.47 KiB) Viewed 1618 times
Last edited by tfrayne on Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!