To buy or not

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

banjodan
Bronze Member

Post by banjodan »

Chiroindixon brought up a great point about the Shopsmith eBay scam. Every few months some guy posts pictures of a 520 and ends the auction without selling the machine. After the end of the auction he contacts all of the bidders and says that he had computer problems, etc., and offers to sell the machine at a great price outside of eBay. Well, you give him your money and you never get the machine.

Watch out for this guy and report him to eBay whenever you see his post. It's always the same. It has the heading SHOPSMITH MARK V MODEL 520 PLUS PLUS LIKE NEW, and has pictures of a 520 plus some additional equipment in water-stained boxes.

BTW, I am the host of the Song of the Great Lakes Website, and I'd like to thank those of you who made the positive comments. As you might guess, I got pretty upset about the usual anti-Shopsmith junk that one often hears from non-Shopsmith owners and I decided to set the record straight and add a Shopsmith section to my website.

One of my favorite uses for the Shopsmith is to use it as a table saw when I've got a dado blade on my contractor saw. In fact, that's how it's set up right now, and as soon as I'm finished with this message I'm going to my basement to cut some wood on the Shopsmith before moving the parts to my contractor saw to use the dado blade to cut box joints. In this case, the Shopsmith is saving me from making changeovers with my contractor saw.
putttn
Gold Member

Post by putttn »

Does the SS have wheels so one could move it around, or are they available as accessory? For $1500 could you replace most of the functions with seperates and end up better off?
putttn
Gold Member

Post by putttn »

Even more questions. Would a 95 year model have most of the features of the new ones, especially the dust collector?
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Yes you can get a caster set so the shopsmith can be moved around and the set fits all the modern models. I might add they work very well and I can not imagine my machine without them.

Yes you can spend $1500 and get a lot of tools but the quality and support are just not going to be there.... I know of no other company that is better in customer support then shopsmith. And I know that my kids will be getting my shopsmiths when I can no longer use them and they may even pass them on to there kids.... they are built that good and have support that will get them unto more generations of use.

Dust collection ports are on the shopsmith the dust collector is up to you. Shopsmith makes one or you can go to your big box store and get a shop vac. (BTW I know of people who spend over $1500 on dust collection systems alone.)

Wood working is not a cheap hobby, if you are not sure you are going to like it or have reservations you might want to check the local community college to see if they offer woodworking classes to get your feet wet... or check to see if shopsmith has a traveling class near you... or maybe a local store that offers classes. It is cheaper in the long run to learn a bit before starting to buy tools, most of us have a lot of money inversted in our tools but few of us started out with a $10K shops worth.

Also if you have not done so yet go to the http://www.shopsmith.com site and get the 1 800 number so you can have them send out a dvd and catalogs so you have a feel for what else shopsmith offers.... and the price is right, free.

Ed
putttn
Gold Member

Post by putttn »

Thanks for the information. I have the DVD on the way and can't wait to look at it. I understand from reading the other posts that a router is not the best option because of the slower RPM, so I wondered since I have a router but not a router table could I use the SS for my router table? Also the same with a belt sander, I have one but had a flimsy stand that didn't work too well so would one use his stand alone belt sander and get a mounting bracket for the SS or use their belt sander?
deanthom
Gold Member

Post by deanthom »

putttn wrote:Does the SS have wheels so one could move it around, or are they available as accessory? For $1500 could you replace most of the functions with seperates and end up better off?
You can add wheels. Some packages already come with the wheels included.

Yes, for $1500, you can replace all of the functions. Would you end up "better off"? I don't think so. I don't think you'd end up better off if you spent $4000, frankly!

Let's look at a decent disk sander, decent table saw, decent drill press, decent similar sized lathe. Horizontal boring machines are pretty arcane. It's a convenience for many things that woodworkers do. Great way to drill holes in the top of very tall poles & stuff. For this comparison, I've sought nothing in top of the line realms]
Dean Thomas
KCMO
520, jointer, bandsaw, stripsander
putttn
Gold Member

Post by putttn »

I'm somewhat the compulsive type so I'm trying to do my due diligence in researching the SS and the competition. It seems that the biggest complaint of the SS is the table saw. I guess I don't quite understand since it seems with the expansion tables you can work with a 4'8' sheet. If I was using a portable table saw I don't know if that would be possible? Also it seems the blade doesn't tilt but the table does, which for some reason causes a problem? But from everything else I read it fits the bill for me since I'm redoing my garage and I don't want to have a bunch of machines laying around unused. Don't mind a few but my 34x24 garage will be shared with the shop and two cars and a few bicycles. Have a "Tool Room" that was an unused sauna that seems to be keeping all the hand tools tucked away. Sounds like the SS takes a pretty small footprint and can do a lot of functions within this footprint. My only drawback is the table saw and that is probably the function I'd use the most. What do you SS experts have to say about the table saw complaints? Thanks for all you imput too.
putttn
Gold Member

Post by putttn »

Another question, do the units come with a vacuum system or is that extra?
rflaherty
Silver Member

Go for it!

Post by rflaherty »

Hello Putttn--
I have used my SS 500 (no upgrades) table saw for 25+ years, for everything from house remodels to small boxes. With a nice Freud carbide combination blade, I have never had a project it couldn't do. I actually prefer the tilting TABLE of the SS better than the tilting ARBOR of a standard table saw. Unless you are cutting 4x8 plywood into 1" strips, or cutting 12' 2x12s down to 11'6" every day, you should have no problem. Even if you are doing that kind of cutting, it can work...just ask my wife, my "infinitely adjustable outboard and outfeed support". My SS is one of the best investments I have every made. I have spent a whole lot more for a whole lot less over the years.

The dust collector/vacuum is a separate tool. I have the SS dust collector. It really sucks...and I mean that as a compliment! It is definitely worth having.
--Bob
rubberneck
Gold Member

Post by rubberneck »

As for age I am only 60 and bought my 500 in 1981! I replaced the jointer and have since bought a table saw too BUT I will never let my Shopsmith go. The drill press, lathe and sander are very good. I think the drill press mode with the ability to adjust the table is the best drill press out there! The newer 510 and 520 have fixed a lot of the 500 table saw difficulties. The only reason I bought the table saw was it was cheaper than an upgrade to the Shopsmith! A very strong and handy machine. As they say "often immitated, never duplicated"!
Good luck with your decision...Bill