Removing Sand Paper from Disc Sander

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dvsmith86
Gold Member

Re: Removing Sand Paper from Disc Sander

Post by dvsmith86 »

dusty wrote:I have just the opposite problem.

Shopsmith offered a real good sale on sand paper (disks and belts) a long while back. Being frugal as I am, I bought up a bunch which has now turned out to have not been frugal at all. I have a shelf full of adhesive backed sanding disks with adhesive that is no longer sticky.

I am too frugal to discard it so I cut it in pieces and use it for hand sanding.
Dusty, seeing the 0devious comments makes me wonder if you could re-activate the adhesive with heat. Inquiring minds want to know.
-
Doug Smith
10E SN:10290 Dedicated drill press
10ER SN:69488 Lathe, saw, sander, etc.
Retired Machinist & CNC Programmer
Beginner woodworking
Passions: Restoring, repairing, repurposing
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

dvsmith86 wrote:

Shopsmith offered a real good sale on sand paper (disks and belts) a long while back. Being frugal as I am, I bought up a bunch which has now turned out to have not been frugal at all. I have a shelf full of adhesive backed sanding disks with adhesive that is no longer sticky.

I am too frugal to discard it so I cut it in pieces and use it for hand sanding.
Dusty, seeing the 0devious comments makes me wonder if you could re-activate the adhesive with heat. Inquiring minds want to know.
I have not tried heat. I will. I have used rubber cement will a certain degree of success.

I really need to find something that works well. I have too much invested in sand paper to cut it up like I have been.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
sidecarmike
Silver Member

Post by sidecarmike »

Have you tried Spray Trim Adhesive from an Auto Parts House? It's the stuff they use to attach headliners to cars. I use it a lot. Not only in the shop, but in the house to repair wallpaper, or a flopping corner of carpet on the stairway. Most of my sandpaper is also very old. My father-in-law had a stack of it when I got his old Greenie. That was 15 years ago and the pile still fills a butter cookie tin.
I don't even try to trust the adhesive on the paper. I spray the disc every time.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:
dvsmith86 wrote:

I have not tried heat. I will. I have used rubber cement will a certain degree of success.

I really need to find something that works well. I have too much invested in sand paper to cut it up like I have been.
How about spray adhesive. 3M is one brand. It is available in the big box stores. It comes in repositionable and permanent. My wife uses the repositionable to stick her scroll saw patterns to the stock.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
mediadaddy
Silver Member

Post by mediadaddy »

I warm the disk with a torch, with a paddle remove the used disk, spray the adhesive with WD-40, remove the adhesive, clean with acetone or spray electrical cleaner, remount a new disk and .... whalah!! I’m on my way!
joe_cool
Gold Member

Post by joe_cool »

Ran across this video the other day. I have thought about trying it on the shopsmith Disc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQf2DiBL4kc