shop design

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

arizstan
Bronze Member

shop design

Post by arizstan »

Hi!
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for workshop design? I'm a newby and have no idea how to set up my garage to maximize my use of that space. Is there a place to go to get ideas on design and placement of counters, cabinets and tools? I know it's a good idea to have some flow, but, that's about all I know...
Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Arizstan@aol.com
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Try Here....

Post by chiroindixon »

http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchive0 ... oprev.html

has a good review of a few books on shop design. Try one of them for a start.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

arizstan wrote:Hi!
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for workshop design? I'm a newby and have no idea how to set up my garage to maximize my use of that space. Is there a place to go to get ideas on design and placement of counters, cabinets and tools? I know it's a good idea to have some flow, but, that's about all I know...
Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Arizstan@aol.com
I find that shop design or layout is a living thing. Each time you enter the shop and use it you find ways to improve it. Since it is a garage shop I would advise everything to be movable. The few times I have made things permanent I have found after a few years I really didn't like my first attempt and usually end up tearing them out.
I have now started using french cleats (1X4 ripped length wise with 45 degree bevel one piece on the wall the other on the cabinet) on cabinets that anchor them but allow me to move them in the future.

The biggest problem in a shop is storage of wood especially 4x8 ply and the tendency to keep everything and never throw stuff out.

Right now my shop layout is starting at the overhead door on the left side
A thin built in work bench with chemical storage at one and overhead cabinets above.
A window with a woodworking bench set on a Sears metal cabinet under the window and common used hand tools (screw drives chisels and such) on peg board above and right of the window.
Then I have my compressor, and miter saw sitting atop each other.
Next to another built in cabinet (big mistake) that holds all my parts, hardware, plus all my SS accessories. Above the cabinet and back toward the window is my solid wood storage from which hangs all my clamps.
Next is the side door with a delta planer sitting on at wheels cabinet.

Then in the corner and across the back wall is my hot water tank and well pressure tank with my Dust collector sitting in front.
Then my SS with cabinets on french cleats above holding books and plans, Routers, router accessories, Saws and saw accessories.
Behind the SS I store all my sheet goods at the end of the SS is my Radial arm saw with more cabinets for assorted parts and tools, then my lawn tractor again with more cabinets for parts and things.
Next is the door to house and in the corner is a shelf unit that the wife stores her garage stuff on.

Down that wall is a tall cabinet filled with mostly garden supplies, with precious wood storage on the bottom. Next is the freezer then the shelf units for paint, plumbing parts, fishing supplies, junk then vertical solid wood storage and finally the garbage cans and hoe rake shovel storage in corner by the door.

Plus I keep a van and pickup in the garage most every night. I have collapsable saw horses and 4x5 work table.

When I'm working I roll the SS to the middle of the garage with the dust collector sitting in line and to the left. My back is to the window.
The collapsable table is in line and sitting to the right of SS

Now I have wood in front of me, work table space to my right and directly behind me. I have my planner and to my left and all SS accessories to behind and to the left with spare parts hardware and chemicals behind and to the right. Common hand tools and clamps are above the workbench directly behind me.

That layout works for me. If I finally build a storage shed I will move the lawn tractor, two spreaders, gas edger, leaf blower, weed wacker, axes, shovels, rakes, ladders and other junk out of my garage and have even more room.

Again I get in all in plus a van and truck every night.
exminoas
Bronze Member

Post by exminoas »

I find great ideas in the "ShopNotes", http://www.ShopNotes.com. The sliding-door storage cabinet for a wall and pull-out storage case to name a few, same space and mount on wall or on wheels.
bashfulbob
Gold Member

Post by bashfulbob »

Hi
A book that may be of some value to you is titled "Small Woodworking Shops" from the editors of the Fine Woodworking magazine, published by The Tranton Press, ISBN number is 1-56158-686-2. It also covers other things like heating, dust collecting, lighting, etc.

I suggest you make a scale drawing of the area you have available for your work shop, locate all walls, doors, lights, duct work, electrical outlets, and windows on the layout. On another piece of paper, draw scaled boxes of the cabinets you want and equipment you have. Label each of the boxes. Then cut the boxes out and lay them down on the scaled layout drawing of your area. Do not forget to consider the room you will need to work at the machine. If you design for mobilty, this could distort how things look:confused: on paper compared to functionaility. Move them aound till you seem to be happy with it.

There are many articles in magazines that can help you with ideas for cabinets, tool storage, keeping tools mobile. In a small area mobilty is nice. In nice weather, open the garage door up and do some work outside. Saw dust is good for the yard and garden.:rolleyes:

In fact, I just got my Workbench mag in the mail yesterday and one article is titled "Space Saving Home Shop, How to set up 5 major tool stations in just 50 square feet". (how is that for small area) It is the October 2006 magazine, vol 62 nu. 5, issue 297. The front cover shows the shop. It shows a table saw with a router station in the table saw (which part of it stores under the miter bench), Miter saw with a long bench, a planner station that is in a flip top cart that stores under the miter bench when not in use, cabinets (both floor and wall mounted), and a storage bin for cut off waste wood that stores under the miter bench.

Hope this is of some help:)
arizstan wrote:Hi!
Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Arizstan@aol.com
Life is what happens in between Plans.:)
toolguy
Bronze Member

shop layout

Post by toolguy »

Ed in Tampa is right. woodworking shops never stop evolving and changing. Its always little by little. Such is the nature fo the beast. We are always learning new things and then putting them into practice. If we don't evolve, we will never be better woodworkers. :)
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Popular Woodworking started a series on shop design in last month's issue. Unfortunately, my subscription didn't start until this month. I think the first issue talked about shop layout. It may still be available on newsstands, or at your local library. This months issue is about electrical requirements and lighting.