Cart for Special Purpose Tools

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wingman2010
Gold Member

Re: Cart for Special Purpose Tools

Post by wingman2010 »

I'm trying to make an SPT cart. To hold each SPT, I've stacked 2x4s and drilled 1 1/4" holes. I can't get the hole spacing right so it's too snug for the mounting tubes. Is there a trick to drilling the hole spacing just right? I'm using a portable drill and a 1 1/4 spade bit.
My method is: drill a hole, then use the lathe tail stock as a pattern. Put one leg in the hole i drilled and trace the other leg on the 2x4. Drill the second hole.
I've tried this 3x and I'm getting frustrated. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wingman2010 wrote:I'm trying to make an SPT cart. To hold each SPT, I've stacked 2x4s and drilled 1 1/4" holes. I can't get the hole spacing right so it's too snug for the mounting tubes. Is there a trick to drilling the hole spacing just right? I'm using a portable drill and a 1 1/4 spade bit.
My method is: drill a hole, then use the lathe tail stock as a pattern. Put one leg in the hole i drilled and trace the other leg on the 2x4. Drill the second hole.
I've tried this 3x and I'm getting frustrated. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Try drilling holes slightly larger than 1 1/4".

1 5/16" oughta work.

BTW the spacing is 7" c-c. Hope you are using a drill press to drill the holes.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

Is it at all possible to use the drill press (or at least horizontal boring) mode?

Because the tubes on the SPTs are parallel, any deviation when using the hand held drill is magnified. One degree makes a big difference! :eek: So if you are off perpendicular to the 2x4 by the smallest amount, the error shows in the next hole (which is probably off a bit, too). Remember you can vary for and aft and side to side compounding the error.

When using the horizontal boring, as long as you set the speed lower for the spade bit and don't force it, it will work fine. Slow and easy is a very good thing at this time.

If there is just he tiniest of binding problems in the holes that you drill, a rasp generally will remove enough material to allow a reasonable fit. There was a time when I would wax the side hoping the SPT would slid out easier until I figured out it cam out fine it was just my reduce upper body strength that was making it more difficult. :rolleyes: :o

The larger the hole, the larger the chance the SPT will set at an awkward angle.

If it makes you feel any better, most who have made stands for the SPTs have found the same frustrations.

Be well,
Ben
joe_cool
Gold Member

Post by joe_cool »

Found this Document Thought it might help.
Attachments
compactsptcart.pdf
(704.49 KiB) Downloaded 2779 times
delong94
Gold Member

Post by delong94 »

Here is one I found on the net last year from Popular Mechanics too.
Attachments
SCaster.pdf
(591.71 KiB) Downloaded 2299 times
wingman2010
Gold Member

Post by wingman2010 »

Y'all are great. Thanks for the tips. I'm glad to know others have experienced this. I can't wait for this weekend. If I finish, pictures will follow.
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

Compact_SPT_Cart.pdf
(704.49 KiB) Downloaded 1133 times
I happended to have a copy of the file and was looking for it. Here you go to any who would need it