Multi-Purpose Drill Press / Bench Vise

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bdad80
Gold Member

Multi-Purpose Drill Press / Bench Vise

Post by bdad80 »

Just wondered if anyone had this item and what they thought of it. The item # is 555994. They are on sale right now and I'm thinking about getting one. Any feedback is appreciated.
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

I bought one the last time it was on sale(March of this year)and got it in early June. Not sure what the delay was. Anyways it is made by Wolfcraft and the model # is 3410. It seems to be well built and functions like described in the ad. I like the quick jaw release and the clamp that comes with it to use on your workbench as well. Came with the T-Nuts bolts and washers for use on the SS table as well. I think it is worth the sales price.
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
S Brian
Gold Member

Post by S Brian »

What is unique about this vise that it will not work with the Model 500, as stated on the SS web page?
Brian
Mark V-500 Purchased New In 1980, SS Bandsaw (free), SS Jointer, SS 6x48 Belt Sander (free), SS Storage Station (free), Powermatic 64A Table Saw, Powermatic 1140F Drill Press, Delta 46-460 Midi-Lathe, Delta Scrollsaw, Bosch 12" Dual Compound Miter Saw, MLCS Router Table w/Bosch Router, Penn State dust collector.
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

I have a 510 upgraded to a 520 so not sure about a 500. I suspect that the 500 table has a different size for the T-track and the T-nuts that fit the 510, 520 will not fit the 500, but this is just my guess.
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

The 500 table does knot have a T-track.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

It appears to me that everything will work on a 500 except the t nuts in the miter gauge bar slot. You could clamp it as you would any other drill vise.

The miter gauge 'lock' 'screw' can be used and the vise set against the miter gauge face(lower edge).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edflorence
Platinum Member

Re: Multi-Purpose Drill Press / Bench Vise

Post by edflorence »

I have this same vise and it has worked well for years, but today I pulled it out and found that the quick release is not working. The button pops in and out as usual, but when pressed in, it does not release from the threaded rod. I squirted some oil around the base of the button as well as on the threaded rod, but this didn't make much difference. I don't recall dropping the vise and nothing appears to be bent. I don't see any way to get into the vise to see what's going on. So I thought I would resurrect this thread and see if anybody else has encountered/solved this problem.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

edflorence wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:54 pm I have this same vise and it has worked well for years, but today I pulled it out and found that the quick release is not working. The button pops in and out as usual, but when pressed in, it does not release from the threaded rod. I squirted some oil around the base of the button as well as on the threaded rod, but this didn't make much difference. I don't recall dropping the vise and nothing appears to be bent. I don't see any way to get into the vise to see what's going on. So I thought I would resurrect this thread and see if anybody else has encountered/solved this problem.
Ed,

I assume you have the older one (item #555994) that has the ability to be used as a bench vise? The reason that I ask is Shopsmith sells a different one now (item #556416). I bought this newer one a year or two ago. The quality was so poor that I returned it to Shopsmith. The quick release didn't work right on it and the screw threads were not cut properly causing a rough feeling on moving the vise jaws (should have been smooth). Recently, I saw someone post on the FB group that the roll pin had sheared on theirs and this was how they received it brand new from Shopsmith. I don't know which version you have, but the newer one seems to be of poor quality...I still haven't bought a new one, but will likely search for a decent cross slide vise.

Old Vise (item #555994):
old_vise.jpg
old_vise.jpg (11.69 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
New Vise (item #556416):
new_vise.jpg
new_vise.jpg (24.01 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

RF Guy...Thanks for the information. And, yep,, its the older version. The build quality looks good on it, and this is the first problem its ever given me. I had not used it in a year or so and I suspect rust may have started on the internal parts of the quick release. I can't see into where the issue is, but there are no obvious signs of rust on the outside. This morning I saturated around the button and the threaded screw with a solvent, which ran into the inaccessible area where the quick release meets the screw, and managed to get a lot more movement out of it. So, its usable, but the movable jaw still does not move as easily as it should with the quick release button pressed. A friend suggested either soaking in white vinegar or getting some CLR into the mechanism. Not sure which I will try.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Try evaporust!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange