Jointer auxiliary fence with featherboard and outfeed

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ryansm7
Gold Member

Jointer auxiliary fence with featherboard and outfeed

Post by ryansm7 »

Hey folks, :)

Has anyone made a Jointer auxiliary fence with featherboard and outfeed.

I am having a tough time handling long thick heavy stock on the jointer. :mad:

The size stuff is ~ 48" x 12" x 1". The table saw can get me close, but the jointer should get me closer (questionable on the "should").

The auxiliary fence height is easy.
The length is open for discussion.
Fastening to the jointer fence is straightforward.

The attachment of the outfeed is going to require some help as well as horizontal featherboards (low and high on the auxiliary fence)

I have one of the older jointers which does not have a "lip" on the outfeed.

Any help here would be hot... :confused:
~Ryan
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

I addressed jointing extra long boards in a post a few years ago. (my how time flys) I found it in a search, but unfortunately the pictures are no longer there.

The key to my success in jointing and gluing boards, up to 8 ft long, is a Veritas 50 inch straightedge. Also needed is a "rock solid" roller stand like Rockler's Heavy-Duty flip top stand. Using feeler gauges I level the Rockler roller stand about three to four feet out from the 4" jointer's outfeed table. This is actually pretty easy to do in short order.

I also use a lighter duty roller stand about the same distance away from the infeed side. The infeed is not as critical as the outfeed, but I use the 50 inch straightedge and feeler gauge there also.

For gluing long boards, a tip that I picked up from a Taunton DVD, is to take a hand plane (I use a #5) set for extremely thin shavings, clamp your jointed board on the workbench, and make a few strokes, starting in the middle, and then lengthing the cuts toward the ends. This creates a small amount of "spring" in the middle, and helps to keep the ends from separating over time.

At the one and only Shopsmith week-end back in '08, I saw a jointer outfeed extension made by Nick Engler that attached to the auxiliary fence. I made some sketches and measurements. Then realizing that I might be "stealing" Nick's idea, I asked him about it. He said that I could make one for my own use, but that Shopsmith was considering making this product. I didn't feel comfortable with that so I destroyed the sketch.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I believe nick did include that in a saw dust session. His did rely on the shoulder that an older jointer does not have.

I think a shoulder could be bolted on to the jointer. Surface roughness could make that a bit difficult.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ryansm7
Gold Member

Post by ryansm7 »

8iowa wrote:At the one and only Shopsmith week-end back in '08, I saw a jointer outfeed extension made by Nick Engler that attached to the auxiliary fence. I made some sketches and measurements. Then realizing that I might be "stealing" Nick's idea, I asked him about it. He said that I could make one for my own use, but that Shopsmith was considering making this product. I didn't feel comfortable with that so I destroyed the sketch.
JPG40504 wrote:I believe nick did include that in a saw dust session.
Yes, I did see the sawdust session where Nick showed the jointer outfeed extension that attached to the auxiliary fence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxAd-t2VBV0

So I'm guessing that it's fair-game to make one like it.

Thanks!
~Ryan