Lan for Taekwon Do Belt Rack

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mgdesigns
Gold Member

Lan for Taekwon Do Belt Rack

Post by mgdesigns »

My son is going for his Red Belt this weekend, and my wife wants me to make him a belt rack. Does any one have plans for such a thing? The picture is one on Amazon.com. Just thought I'd bounce the idea off more experienced builder. Thanks
Attachments
tae kwon do belt rack.jpg
tae kwon do belt rack.jpg (18.34 KiB) Viewed 4462 times
Hand Engraver of Metals; Maker of Exquisite Kindling; 1955 Greenie Mark V (NOW with a 1989 Headstock); Magna Band Saw; Magna 4" Jointer; Miscellaneous Craftsman & Porter-Cable electric woodworking tools.
3D CADCAM Designs - Gemstone Facetor
mgdesigns
Gold Member

Post by mgdesigns »

Title should have been Plans for Taekwondo Belt Rack - sorry.
Hand Engraver of Metals; Maker of Exquisite Kindling; 1955 Greenie Mark V (NOW with a 1989 Headstock); Magna Band Saw; Magna 4" Jointer; Miscellaneous Craftsman & Porter-Cable electric woodworking tools.
3D CADCAM Designs - Gemstone Facetor
foxtrapper
Gold Member

Post by foxtrapper »

Let your imagination be your guide. The various ways of displaying the belts are all simple enough that they really don't need proper "plans".

The classic is wrapped belts. Tie them to a wooden slat (bit of copper wire works nicely). Figure out how many slats you will need, attach them to a backer of some sort, and affix belts as your child progresses. This is what most of the display racks are.

Stacked round is a different choice. Roll the belt tightly and simply stack them one on top of the other.

Tied is a variant of the first. Tie the belt into the proper not and display on the slats. This can be nice if your son has earned various stripes that are on the belt ends.

I wish him well on his belt test. My son earned his hapkito black belt a few months ago.
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

There are a couple things to consider here:

how many belt colors are there in their particular dojo/dojang/school/group? Every one is different. We have 6 colored belts for kids (White, Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, Brown) and then black. Most belts are 2 inches or so, but you should probably double check. Many schools have the actual black belt embroidered, so you should know/decide if you are going to get a generic one, a second one (may be expensive), or not have the black belt on there. Some schools have a single stripe, some have multiple stripes. Since we don't emphasize them at the dojo I run you would only need 7 slots (6 kyu plus one yudansha level).

Another thing that people often do is have the blackbelt certificate at the top of the rack. It can be a neat touch.

One interesting idea would be to purposely leave a space for the subsequent rank. While you don;t want to take away from the accomplishment, it can be very meaningful to remember that there is always a next step in the martial arts. Black belt is not a destination, but a step in a journey.
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

oh, and https://www.tigerclaw.com/frames-displa ... c-374.html has a few examples of belt rank racks.

Also note that depending on how you arrange the belts, they may not be the exact same size in length. If its an adult the size may go up (eek!) or down (wahoo, weight loss!), and children often go through a few belt sizes on their path to black belt.
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com