Today's nature video

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: Today's nature video

Post by reible »

Bet those birds wished they had headed of to Florida after yesterdays storms. 70 MPH wind gusts, small hail, sheets of rain and going from the 70's to below freezing....

So today I went to visit the beaver dams again to see how they fared with the storms. The small down stream dam has water flowing over it pretty much its whole width.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyogl51 ... E.L.Reible

The larger dam has a breach but not all that bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1IEYBi ... E.L.Reible

If I can I would like to go back tomorrow and see if they fixed it over night.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
rogersk
Gold Member

Post by rogersk »

It will be interesting to see how they fix the big dam, and if they make any changes to the smaller dam––or just wait for the water to go down.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Got back to the beaver dam today. I'm really not sure if the beavers have made some repairs of if the water level has dropped some after peaking after the rain. I learned that the beavers leave a place where the water can over run just in case, thus saving the rest of the dam. A slush gate if you will.

December 1 through April 1 the park closes. You can still access the trails but the parking lot is gated so you have to walk in from other locations. The longer walk doesn't mean much to me but perhaps less people around will prompt the beavers to be a little active during daylight hours.

So here is the link to the most recent video, enjoy.

https://youtu.be/QDSPwaHmA94

Ed
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I do not know about anyone else but I really enjoy your photos!
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This weeks nature video is a bit of game in that I will not tell you what you are watching but you get to guess or expose what it is. If no one gets it in a few days I will expose the truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDChzpT ... e=youtu.be

Ed
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

I think it is the moon, reflected in water.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I think you are correct! Daytime moon as well?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I really didn't think someone would get this so quickly! Good eye!

Later today I will post some pictures of a beaver house, this one on a lake. Yes beavers do live on lakes and don't all make dams. Still have not seen any beavers at the dams or at the lake but they have to be there.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

A few days back there were two trucks and a couple of guys with implements of dam destruction there. I ask if they were going to take the dam out and they indicated that was their intention. I gave a few words, polity of how I wished that was not going to be. Then walked on, thinking on my return a week or so later that there would be no dam. As you can see the dam is still there, for how long I don't know. Why it was not destroyed on that day, well don't know that either.

https://youtu.be/-WgKJvXCTOY

Anyway life goes on.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I had mentioned that I located a beaver lodge on a near by lake. Now I know that this is common beaver behavior but some folks may not be familiar with this. Here are a few pictures, a couple of them are right at the sight and another from across the way. Again the house is not likely to be there for long as beavers have a tough life around here, the authorities don't seem to get the benefits but only see the worst. And yes I know that there are cases where and places that beavers just can't be tolerated, but where they can then they should be left alone. Often they soon run out of food so they self regulate in that respect, no food, no place to live so you move on.
IMG_9180sc.jpg
IMG_9180sc.jpg (467.58 KiB) Viewed 906 times
IMG_9181sc.jpg
IMG_9181sc.jpg (403.78 KiB) Viewed 906 times
IMG_9185sc.jpg
IMG_9185sc.jpg (345.58 KiB) Viewed 906 times
Ed