I removed myself from all Shopsmith Facebook Groups

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I finally had enough.

I know there are very fine people here who are members there, but complex issues were creating a massive amount of email relative to My Google Drive that I update and link solely in a post in Maintenance and Repair.

I no longer can see or access any of the various Facebook Groups. I will not be able to see or answer questions there.

I was receiving massive amounts of inappropriate Facebook Messages, and selected folks were repeatedly suggesting direct bookmarks to My Google Drive.

When the link changes or security changes, those bookmarks break and I get hundreds of requests each month for permission to individual folders etc.

I periodically update the link here every month or two.

Google generates an error and emails me when someone tried to access My Google Drive by a private bookmark on their computer that is no longer active.

I created a filter in my email to select and trash these sorts of emails.

Last night I located and deleted over 8,000 emails of that type. Most had their origins in those groups. Now there’s a rule that will auto delete them.

Lord knows there’s a host of other reasons to have issues with Facebook creating volumes of content unrelated to my interests. I may well be deactivating my Facebook account.

It was not personal really but staying in those groups was simply untenable.

So if you’re there and look for me, I am not there.

All this could have been avoided if they would have set their bookmarks to the post in Maintenance and Repair Forum here and follow the red My Google Drive link on the page.

Kindest Regards,

Everett
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: I removed myself from all Shopsmith Facebook Groups

Post by jsburger »

everettdavis wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:50 pm I finally had enough.

I know there are very fine people here who are members there, but complex issues were creating a massive amount of email relative to My Google Drive that I update and link solely in a post in Maintenance and Repair.

I no longer can see or access any of the various Facebook Groups. I will not be able to see or answer questions there.

I was receiving massive amounts of inappropriate Facebook Messages, and selected folks were repeatedly suggesting direct bookmarks to My Google Drive.

When the link changes or security changes, those bookmarks break and I get hundreds of requests each month for permission to individual folders etc.

I periodically update the link here every month or two.

Google generates an error and emails me when someone tried to access My Google Drive by a private bookmark on their computer that is no longer active.

I created a filter in my email to select and trash these sorts of emails.

Last night I located and deleted over 8,000 emails of that type. Most had their origins in those groups. Now there’s a rule that will auto delete them.

Lord knows there’s a host of other reasons to have issues with Facebook creating volumes of content unrelated to my interests. I may well be deactivating my Facebook account.

It was not personal really but staying in those groups was simply untenable.

So if you’re there and look for me, I am not there.

All this could have been avoided if they would have set their bookmarks to the post in Maintenance and Repair Forum here and follow the red My Google Drive link on the page.

Kindest Regards,

Everett
These big social media sites are garbage. I don't do any social media that is not monitored in a reasonable way. No Facebook, no Titter, no Instagram. None of that stuff.

Google is also a Big problem. They feed you crap that you don't want.

I use Malwarebytes Privacy VPN on my phone and computers. I also use AddBlocker, Malwarebytes Browser Guard and Privacy Badger with Firefox.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

2C84DAF1-490F-40CD-9201-90F645E4C0DB.jpeg
2C84DAF1-490F-40CD-9201-90F645E4C0DB.jpeg (65.53 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
I understand. Besides all the auto generated email that was initiated when someone tried to use an old personal bookmark directly to my drive, I also received personal share requests that the user who was denied access could simply click on when they had been denied.

For a long time if had time I would reply to The and point them in the right direction. Eventually I saved a piece of canned text that I could paste into a reply.

I will try to attach a screenshot of one I cropped to remove requester’s name. The one I found was prior to dumping IPhone and moving to Android, but you Get the idea.

I just could not respond to these and Group Members In the Shopsmith Groups (and there was a number of them) would create and post direct links within posts ( which they would not delete of course) lived on and continue d to exacerbate the problem.

Yesterday, after specific instructions not to do this, someone did exactly that, yet again. It was the last straw.

I had remove myself from those entirely.

I know we get a number of repeat questions hers, but nothing like having four or five Shopsmith Facebook Groups, and even that was exacerbated by a a growing list of regional sub-groups that I was not a member of, creating and posting the same incorrect direct link.
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

Being new to ShopSmith through the gifting of a bunch of half-century-old (plus) equipment I am berry, very appreciative of all the wonderful work you have done for our community. Thank you!!! I know that John often labels you the ShopSmith historian, but being a trained historian myself, and having both volunteered for 6+ years at a community archive and used several archives in my research, I would consider you our archivist. Archivists collect, preserve, and teach about the artifacts of a specific subject, such as a nation, state, city, organization, or, as in this case, a field of interest. Archivists not only collect the artifacts (including documents), they also delve some into writing histories about some specific aspect of the items they are collecting. I also consider John to be our historian since he writes broader histories about ShopSmith, often using his own and your archival collection. It is a symbiosis that benefits the rest of us, but they are often thankless jobs, though vitally important.

I hope both of you know how much most of us thank you for your wonderful work. We are glad you are part of our community.

Also note that I have also worked in the computer industry since 1980, and I cancelled my Facebook account in 2016, it has been very freeing.

Take care!
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Everett,

I agree with you about Facebook. I have an account but rarely sign on. We are talking maybe once a year. I find it difficult to find what I want to see on their platform so I just don't bother looking there. I just haven't bothered to close the account. I don't use and never have used other social media at all. I may be out of touch but I can't see spending my time documenting everything I do for the world to follow. Was it problems with Facebook that caused us to have to sign in to Google to access your Google Drive or was that Google itself wanting to know who is looking there?

Marc may be correct about the title Archivist for you but Historian fits you too. We haven't herd lately about the progress on the book. I hope it is progressing well. As for archiving let me know when you need more material.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I've never had a Facebook account and don't want one. Usually when people post a link to their Facebook account, I can't see it because I can't log in. Even the pages that allow me in are so filled with ads and other crap that I'm lucky to have 1/4 of my screen for information. So, I just ignore Facebook and everybody who expects me to use it.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Its a good move, vote with your feet.

Its interesting that the younger generations eye Facebook as an "old persons" platform.

They will wither and die but all along the way they will be striving to rope in the youngsters.

I expect this is part of the playbook which includes the renaming the company in the coming weeks...to refresh
and make it more appealing to the youngsters.

b
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

bainin wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:57 am Its a good move, vote with your feet.

Its interesting that the younger generations eye Facebook as an "old persons" platform.

They will wither and die but all along the way they will be striving to rope in the youngsters.

I expect this is part of the playbook which includes the renaming the company in the coming weeks...to refresh
and make it more appealing to the youngsters.

b
Yeah, FB is desperate to capture younger generations. Snapchat is the favorite social media platform for teens, followed by TikTok and Instagram is in third place. Coincidentally FB owns IG now. By the way, FB is the dominant social media platform for the baby boomer generation. In fairness, this forum IS social media as well, just not a perverted form of it beholden to an algorithm and dictator leader like FB has been.

I have never liked how FB or this forum handles files and such. This is handled much better on platforms like Teams in my opinion. I greatly appreciate the efforts of Everett, and anyone else, who works diligently to maintain Shopsmith documentation, historical accounts, etc. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Facebook is for old fogies!???

Old fogies kids maybe.

But then to toungsters, them kids are OLD!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:00 pm Facebook is for old fogies!???

Old fogies kids maybe.

But then to toungsters, them kids are OLD!
YES, FB is for chronologically advanced individuals! If you don't believe me, you can look up the stats for it (see link below). I am technically Gen X, but I don't have a FB account. I have borrowed a family members account a few times to check out the Shopsmith groups on FB. ALL of my family (including parents) have FB accounts and they are all older than me. Those younger than Gen X have largely shunned FB in lieu of other social media platforms. This proves out with my kids and their friends as well. They don't use FB or IG.

P.S. IF you don't use FB then you can consider yourself a "young" person by association. :D

Teens Social Media Platform Preferences:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/250 ... ng-adults/

Baby Boomers Social Media Platform Preferences:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/436 ... -networks/

Article (one of many that discusses how Gen Z will never use Facebook):
https://www.yahoo.com/news/facebook-wan ... 47462.html
Last edited by RFGuy on Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor