Turning A 350 Pound Log On A Power Pro (Or How to Void Your Warranty)

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

JPG40504 wrote:.....

Wonder what 'procedure' will be used on the second one.

He has a lathe duplicator attachment.:D
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
fiatben
Platinum Member

oh my

Post by fiatben »

Holy crap!!

Well, if nothing else, those guys who are always talking about the SS as a compromise tool or hobbyist machine should shut up. Let's see someone do that is a typical shop of stand-alone tools! haha

I'm just amazed that people even think up things like this to try!!
'55 Greenie #292284 (Mar-55), '89 SS 510 #020989, Mark VII #408551 (sold 10/14/12), SS Band Saw, (SS 500 #36063 (May-79) now gone to son-in-law as of 11-11), Magna bandsaw, Magna jointer 16185 (May-54), Magna belt sander SS28712 (Dec-82), Magna jigsaw SS4397 (Dec-78), SS biscuit joiner, Zyliss (knockoff) vise, 20+ hand planes, 60s Craftsman tablesaw, CarbaTec mini-lathe, and the usual pile of tools. Hermit of the Hills Woodworks, a hillbilly in the foothills of the Ozarks, scraping by.
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

So how many times per log does he sharpen?
Is there andy call for a detail gouge?
I wonder how much actual turning time he has on the motor for this one log??
Does he buy sandpaper in bulk?
Is his name Wylie?
The ACME log lathe
R Hart
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Reminds me of Nick's statement when asked how long a piece can you turn on a Shopsmith lathe. His answer referred to how far away is the barn wall where you can put the tailpiece.

I thought this log turning was cool, but wondered how he planned to turn the part between machines.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

charlese wrote:Reminds me of Nick's statement when asked how long a piece can you turn on a Shopsmith lathe. His answer referred to how far away is the barn wall where you can put the tailpiece.

I thought this log turning was cool, but wondered how he planned to turn the part between machines.
No doubt in my mind he will come up with a tool rest for that span. If I unnerstan his description, that is part of the gradual taper.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mgdesigns
Gold Member

Post by mgdesigns »

Not to mention the risers on the legs the SS in the back. This guy's clever as they come. Wear on the Power Pro bearings and belts, but with 2 SS's to carry the load, and not physically attach together, I doubt the way tubes saw much load. Sort of surprised the inner sets of legs did not try to buck upward, though.

250 rpms is too fast to turn that big of a piece until it's balanced. Brass ones for sure. I am so feeble trying to turn anything on the SS larger than 6" diameter.

Thanks for posting. Amazing.
Hand Engraver of Metals; Maker of Exquisite Kindling; 1955 Greenie Mark V (NOW with a 1989 Headstock); Magna Band Saw; Magna 4" Jointer; Miscellaneous Craftsman & Porter-Cable electric woodworking tools.
3D CADCAM Designs - Gemstone Facetor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mgdesigns wrote:Not to mention the risers on the legs the SS in the back. This guy's clever as they come. Wear on the Power Pro bearings and belts, but with 2 SS's to carry the load, and not physically attach together, I doubt the way tubes saw much load. Sort of surprised the inner sets of legs did not try to buck upward, though.

250 rpms is too fast to turn that big of a piece until it's balanced. Brass ones for sure. I am so feeble trying to turn anything on the SS larger than 6" diameter.

Thanks for posting. Amazing.
The driver was secured to a post on the 'tail' end, and. wedged to the ceiling on the headstock end. The second was used for a tool rest stand, and was not connected to the other(at least I did not see that it was).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
scollins
Gold Member

Post by scollins »

I took an idea from shipwright's duplicator tool and removed my tool rest from the support arm and clamped on a EWT with a carbide cutter. You can then slide the carriage back and forth to make your cuts perfectly straight and it doesn't bounce back while cutting like a hand held cutter so it's faster. I took about 3/16" off at a time while turning an mdf blank for my thickness sander drum.
scollins
Gold Member

Roughing out with a chainsaw

Post by scollins »

roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Pen blank for the new Paul Bunyan pen kits. :D