Turning A 350 Pound Log On A Power Pro (Or How to Void Your Warranty)

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Turning A 350 Pound Log On A Power Pro (Or How to Void Your Warranty)

Post by algale »

I just watched this video on YouTube and still can't believe it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQbzEz0-7X0

Yes, he's turning a 350 pound log on a PowerPro equipped Mark V and using a second Mark V as the tool rest. Is this one of our forum members? If so, reveal yourself!

I can't see his face in the video but I have to wonder if he wore a face shield to protect him in case the stock was thrown. :D

Let's see some hobbiest stand alone lathe do that!
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

Man!! that took some brass ones to attempt that. A lot of planning was involved in that. Thanks for the link.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

Totally awesome.
Steve, the old Florida gator

I just love it when she says I can go make sawdust. ;) :D
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

Two things -- first, that's a mighty impressive capability demonstrated by the Power Pro headstock. Second, the guy has more nerve that me.

On a sides note though, I'd use a router mounted to a frame built above the "spindle" to turn it round and balance it before ever thinking about firing up the headstock. I'd expect it would be a lot quicker and much safer.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

He is turning the log alright, at least for now. I wouldn't bet on everything being straight and functional when he gets done, however.

This lends new meaning to "choose the right tool for the job".

I would have been more impressed with a video on the care and use of a flat axe.

PS I have just spent some more time on his site and there is no denying - he turns some beautiful work.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Can you say "LIFE INSURANCE CANCELLED"
Good advert for the starting torque of the Power Pro!!
Bill V
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

For those of you who have the PowerPro, does the built-in speed chart have an entry for turning a 350 pound log? :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I didn't post this to suggest it was advisable or safe, just incredible.

I agree with all the comments about this not being advisable or the right tool for the job and even if there is no catastrophe I suspect it will at a minimum prematurely wear the bearings and belts in the headstock and is also somewhat likely to do damage to the way or bench tubes. I would say that it is certain to do damage to those parts but, because the far end of the log is attached not to the Shopsmith but to post in the barn, the Shopsmith isn't supporting all the weight of the log.

In his comments under the YouTube video, there is a link to a web page showing him prepping the log. At least he knocked off the corners and had it roughly in balance before letting her rip. Let us hope it does not result in either him or the Shopsmith R.I.P.
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

On another portion of his web site, there's a picture of his two Shopsmiths. Note that the one on the left has been modified with an extension above the original legs, so it looks like it's about 6" taller than a regular Shopsmith. Looks much sturdier than putting it up on blocks (for those taller turners who prefer a higher lathe height).

http://timetofiddle.yolasite.com/woodwork.php

Gary
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

pennview wrote:Two things -- first, that's a mighty impressive capability demonstrated by the Power Pro headstock. Second, the guy has more nerve that me.

On a sides note though, I'd use a router mounted to a frame built above the "spindle" to turn it round and balance it before ever thinking about firing up the headstock. I'd expect it would be a lot quicker and much safer.
I think a chain saw would round it more quickly!:D

Power Pro Warranty? What about the quill bearings?:eek:

A hand plane run down those rough corners would have to be 'a better way' to 'round'.

Brass ones, yes. Forethought, yes. Crazy, no.

Wonder what 'procedure' will be used on the second one.

BTW Wonder what has been supporting the balcony the past century???:confused:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Well one thing seems apparent, he ain't no amateur!

Farmer, notice the view from the window! Chains no less!

[ATTACH]16742[/ATTACH]

That explains his resourceful and thought out method of log rolling!

Fork lift on a tractor, saw mill, pillow block- - - - - - Remind you of anybody! :D
Attachments
log turner class pix.JPG
log turner class pix.JPG (329.03 KiB) Viewed 2915 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange