SS new or used?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

woodisgood
Silver Member

Post by woodisgood »

i forgot to post pics, so i will now. i found my ss in the local newspapers classified. i was looking for a table saw and saw "mark v shopsmith and misc. shop tools". i called about the misc. tools because i knew a ss was way out of my price range. i went and took a look and couldnt believe he was selling it so cheap. $460 !! thats not even enough to buy the bandsaw ! i love it and will pass it on to my son when its time. this will be in our family making gifts for many years to come. here's a pic of my first ss project.
deathwish2

Post by deathwish2 »

I got my '83 500 for $500 via eBay a few years back. Just this year, I got a 510 era headstock and all the 510 specific parts, PLUS a complete set of blades and arbors and turning centers . . . for $75. The only thing missing from the 510 was the stand, and that hasn't changed since they started. ;)

I swapped out the headstock and carriage onto my unit, but haven't got all the tables together yet (I don't use mine as a table saw . . . ever) . . . the tilt trunnions on the table are seized with some light rust . . . one day this winter I'll get everything cleaned up.

Glad I decided to get the larger 510 cover when I bought mine from the factory. :cool:
--Mark
When it comes to woodworking and buying tools,
I always think back to my grandfathers advice on golf . . .
"it's not the arrows, it's the Indian.''
mtobey
Gold Member

Post by mtobey »

My story is perfect for this time of year. I am an active member of the Handtools Section of the WoodNet forum. I was fortunate to come to know another member here in Davenport. He has come over several times and we have really enjoyed those times. I think that I may have assisted his handtool "problem." I don't build furniture- I am in the start of building infill planes and wooden bodied planes. My stand-alone tools are in my unheated garage. One late afternoon, Bill and his son showed up at my door with Bill's 1983 basic Mark V, hauled it down to the basement shop and said "There you go, Mike. Now you can build tools all year round." I have added jointer, jig, beltsander and the OPR that has been discussed. I continue to be humbled by his kindness. mt( and impressed by the quality of ShopSmith in general; you folks seem pretty nice here too)
1983 Mark V- beltsander, jigsaw, Stripsander,jointer, bandsaw-double carriage and tables with molders and drums, Over Arm Pin Routers(Freestanding x 2)Second Mark V.:D
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

You are right - MT! That is a perfect story for this time of year!!
You are very fortunate to have such a nice club and such super friends! I'll bet Bill and his son are also satisfied from their giving!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA