SS new or used?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

woodisgood
Silver Member

SS new or used?

Post by woodisgood »

just because i got a real good deal on my ss, i wonder how others got theirs. ill go take pics and post them later.
dusty
Platinum Member

SS new or used?

Post by dusty »

You are not the first one to wonder.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=295
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

I purchased my ShopSmith 510 new at a Cincinnati woodworking show in 1989 or 1990. At the time Total Shop had a display right behind the Shopsmith display and were battling it out. Got my 510 new for $1,299.00.
I own the Bandsaw, jointer, Pro planer and the new lathe tool rest. I plan in the near future to add to my ShopSmith.
woodisgood
Silver Member

Post by woodisgood »

i bought mine from a man who was moving to a condo. he bought it new in 90 for the sole purpose of turning pens. i got the 510 in perfect condition along with the bandsaw, scrollsaw, jointer, router table, dust collection and many misc. items, including all the paperwork from day one to present, many books and magazines, all the things i need to start turning pens and some lumber. i got it all for $460 !! i had heard of a ss, but never seen one til now. i love it and will pass it on to my son someday.
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

Welcome and way to go. How did you find out about this great deal? I envy you.;)
I bought mine used and upgraded it to a 510. It had been used a couple of times and the owner hit a nail in some pallet board and pushed it into the corner for 20+ years. His son took it over and used the bandsaw some but thats it. The jointer is in perfect condition also. I got the hole set up for $400.
I also picked up another for 200 that had a ton of parts.
easterngray
Platinum Member

My SS

Post by easterngray »

I bought my 1960 goldie used for 200 dollars. I must say that in spite of the rough shape it was in, the fellow that sold it to me was very attached to it - it had been his fathers, and then his, and he was pleased to know that I was going to restore it. I subsequently have purchased other SS tools, all used and at a fraction of the new price. This may not seem to benefit Shopsmith as a going concern, with the exception of parts that I purchase from them. However... My experience with this old goldie has been so pleasurable that I fully intend to upgrade to a brand spankin' new Mark V Model 520 when the day comes that I can afford it. Alec

Before...

After
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

nice restoration alec. keep up the good work and stay warm, bob

bettyt44720
1954 greenie, 1954 greenie mini, 1963 anniversary edition upgraded to 510,
1984 500, 1987 510
pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Boy, I wish my relatively new 510 looked that good!

Great restoration job!

John
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Hello easterngray,

I had seen your "Goldie" restoration on another web-site some time ago. Very nice job! This helped inspire me on the recent 1957 model 500 I worked on.
My own permanent equipment was obtained “new direct from Shopsmith.” Beyond this, I believe it helps SS and woodworking in general to get some of the older equipment restored and generating admirable projects. This is a great way for many folks to get into the work, who might otherwise be priced out of the hobby.

Best Regards,
Chris
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

I bought my first Shopsmith Mark V (Model 500) in 1979, new from the factory with an employee discount -- that was the year I came to work for Shopsmith as the editor of a little newsletter called "Shavings." (This would later become Hand On! magazine.) I bought a second 500 in the late 80s used, chopped the tubes to creat a "mini-Mark V," and set it up as a permanent sanding station -- belt sander, drum sander, disc sander. Still does a great job; better than any sanding tool I've ever tested. Shopsmith gave me a 510 in the early 90s when I began writing the "Workshop Companion" book series. I used it along with many other tools as we did the photos for the 21 books in the series. Drew is using it now to rehabilitate his home -- he just converted his attic to a second story. Finally, Shopsmith donated a 520 and four SPTs to the educational foundation I set up to work with kids building Wright airplanes in 2002. We're still using them for that purpose. Currently working on a 1911 Wright Model EX, the famed "Vin Fiz" -- the first aircraft to fly across America.

With all good wishes,