Memorial Day Remembrance

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Memorial Day Remembrance

Post by ryanbp01 »

To all our servicepeople, past and present: Happy Memorial Day. Last night after school I picked up my 83 y.o. mother and decorated my grandpa's graves (served in WW I and WWII respectively) and my Dad's grave (served during Korea). I noticed there was one grave which had no flowers: it was for a police officer who was shot and killed in the line of duty in July, 1969. I had one bunch of flowers left over, so he received some as well.

BPR
lightnin
Platinum Member

Post by lightnin »

Memorial Day... To honor those who stood on the line for all of us.
[ATTACH]17455[/ATTACH]
Attachments
MemorialDay.jpg
MemorialDay.jpg (248.91 KiB) Viewed 2060 times
Bruce

I didn't know what a Shopsmith was...
Three days later I owned one...
One week later I was rebuilding one...
Four months later I owned two....
Ok Ok, I'm up to four now...
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

Nice move.
They are in our hearts this weekend...and every day.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

This Sunday, May 27, my son's Boy Scout Troop will be setting flag poles into ground recepticals located at each grave marker of each Veteran that is buried at the Vaughn Cemetery near where we live. Before placing over 300 of these flag poles, all US Veteran graves will have a 5' X 8' US flag attached to the pole. Additionally, there are a half dozen or so Veterans resting there from other Ally countries that will also each have their national flag posted at their grave markers. This operation takes a couple of hours and then there is a ceremony held by the local Veterans group to honor all of those Vets. This troop has been doing this for years, and I and my son are proud to be a part of it. The Veteran's organization that keeps this going each year calls this The Aisle of Honor Ceremony.

As a side note, at the end of the day, the local Cub Scout Pack, of which my son used to be a part of, helps to take down the flags and poles and fold them all up properly. If they did not know before they do this, those Cub Scouts will KNOW how to fold a flag when they are done.

I know that those Scouts, both Boy and Cub, will remember our Veterans and why we honor them. I am not so sure about many other young people.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
dforeman
Gold Member

Post by dforeman »

Scouting is a great organization. It is difficult for young folks to associate and sometimes even realize the significance of our military and veterans. Scouting really promotes teaches them of the sacrifices of our veterans and these ideals.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I went to a funeral of one of my former scout leaders. He was an Army and National Guard Veteran (and a scout leader for many years). I was pleasantly surprised to see so many of my former troop members in attendance.
dlbristol
Platinum Member

Post by dlbristol »

Thanks to all of you for remembering. I will read the list of 43 names of men KIA/MIA from K company 75th INf. Rangers and the 4th Inf Division LRRPS. Some of them I knew personally, some I never met, but I consider all of them to be heros. I pray they have found peace.
Saw dust heals many wounds. RLTW
Dave
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

Thanks to all those who have served and presently serving. All gave some and some have given all no matter which war it was. :cool:
Steve, the old Florida gator

I just love it when she says I can go make sawdust. ;) :D