Nick Engler

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

ashbury wrote:I've tried to do extensive web searches on Nick and information is highly evasive. He seems to be really tied up in his interest of aviation from NASA to the Wright Flyer. I can't help but feel Nick has suffered somewhat of a burnout but I hate to speculate. The last time he posted anything on the forum was 08-02-20ll and that was to assure everyone here that he was not involved in a Wright Flyer crash that killed two people. The thing that confuses me most is that he at this writing is still listed as a moderator for the forum but I don't understand all of that anyway. We can all hope that one day he will find his way back because there will never be another like him. I personally think he keeps up with things here more than we might think. It's always possible too that something happened between him and the company but I would not want to speculate on that either.

I'll speculate. There was a financial crisis. Remember that. I lot of people ended up not working or not working where they used to.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
tgamel
Gold Member

Post by tgamel »

cincinnati wrote:I looked at his web page last night. If I recall correct he has not been active since Dec 2009??
True, the copyright at the bottom of all the web pages say 2009. Generally when a site is kept active the copyright notice at the bottom of the screen is updated each year. Scanned a few of the forums and there is a couple of random posts from May 2012, but none by Nick. I have enjoyed the "Saw Dust" sessions he did on this website. Hope everything is alright, I must say his website did look nice, but the forums kinda seems like a ghost town.
Todd (Canton, TX)

1962 Magna Corporation Mark V Goldie (Serial #379277); 1983 Shopsmith Mark V Model 500 (Serial #165199, w/bandsaw & joiner), Shopsmith 20" Scroll saw w/stand (Serial #030191), and Shopsmith DC3300 dust collection system. Taking my time, learning all I can and making a big mess!
letterk
Gold Member

Post by letterk »

A quick Google search shows that he has done some speaking engagements related to the Wright Flyer in March and April of this year.

If I remember correctly he was expecting to do a bit more work for Shopsmith when they reorganized. Not being on the payroll, I guess I can't blame him for not visting here often.
Nick
Platinum Member

Still Here .. and There

Post by Nick »

I'm around, guys, and I appreciate the fact I've been missed by some. Thank you for the kind words. I'm reasonably well and covered in sawdust, but presently concentrating on the aviation side of my career. As some of you know, I've built and flown nine Wright aircraft, six of which I am still saddled with. Not long after Shopsmith cancelled the Sawdust Sessions, a kind gentleman offered a secure place to store and display these aircraft -- his contribution to an educational program I am trying to bootstrap. Since he has give me a large building rent-free with the understanding that I am working on this program, I have been working on this program. When I am not working on the program, I am out showing the aircraft to raise money to continue work on the program. No time for the woodworking side of my career until the program is in the black, I'm afraid. However, I get my daily sawdust-fix building airplanes and teaching kids to build airplanes.

Will be taking three of my aircraft to Los Angleles mid-August to show at the LA County Fair, if any of you in that area are curious to see them. The planes will be there for the month of September.

With all good wishes,
Nick

beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Great to hear that your alive and well Nick. That project your doing must take a LOT of time and energy. Good Luck with it.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

Now I have another reason to go to the LA County Fair.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
lightnin
Platinum Member

Post by lightnin »

Good to hear your fine Nick ....

Is it just me or is that Darth Vader in the picture?
Bruce

I didn't know what a Shopsmith was...
Three days later I owned one...
One week later I was rebuilding one...
Four months later I owned two....
Ok Ok, I'm up to four now...
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

lightnin wrote:Good to hear your fine Nick ....

Gosh, I hope so because the other possibility appears to be Jerry Sandusky.:eek:
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

Nick, Glad things are going well for you.
Any chance you will be at the Woodworking in America conference in Cincinnati?
"Prove to all the world Metal rules the land"
-Judas Priest, Heavy Duty.
saminmn
Gold Member

Post by saminmn »

lightnin wrote:Good to hear your fine Nick ....

Being a grandpa with a 5 year old, I was thinking there was a Spiderman oserving from above.(far left):D
Sam in Northfield, MN
A day without beer......could have been better :p :D :p
Mark V 500 - S/N 100990, Mark V 510 - S/N missing, SS Band Saw, SS 6" Belt Sander, SS 4" Jointer, SS Scroll Saw, SS DC3300