Traveling Academy

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Traveling Academy

Post by dusty »

If the Traveling Academy was to be in your home town next month - would you know that?

If you were someone who has a Shopsmith and is a reasonably active user but you were NOT a member of this (or any) forum - Would you know when the Traveling Academy was going to be in your area?

The Traveling Academy has arrived in Tucson. It is great. It is almost like having a private tutor. There are five of us. The class is spectacular. The instructor is fabulous (Rick Davis).

But the whole affair is a crying shame. Does Shopsmith send out any sort of advertisement, take out a newspaper ad, or even post an announce on the forums that a Traveling Academy exists.

I just got lucky. One morning I got on the forum and "Jim in Tucson" had posted something about the TA. I checked shopsmith.com and sure enough.
Had it not been for Jim's post, I might not have known. Probably would not have known.

How many would be Traveling Academy attendees are getting up this morning in Tucson that don't even know that the Traveling Academy is here? I strongly suspect that the answer is all of them except the four that will be in class with me this morning.:mad:

SHOPSMITH are you listening? If you want this thing to succeed, you can't just hope that it will. It is going to take some effort beyond the Sawdust Sessions, and the Tips and the intermittent e-mail annoucements.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
psf513
Gold Member

Traveling Academy

Post by psf513 »

:mad:
GOOD MORNING! I am a new Mark V owner and new to this site. I just read Dusty's posting with dismay. Then I went to the Owners site and discovered that there are no scheduled academies within the State of Virginia where I live. I gotta agree with Dusty that, if this is to truly work, there is going to have to be some effort on the part of SS.
Len
Gold Member

Post by Len »

First, let me welcome you to this forum, although I don't post much myself, there is a LOT of good info around here with a lot of very knowledgeable folks willing to give you tips, advice, and even opinions (Lord, help us there).
You've got a great and remarkable machine as well.
The great thing about SS is that it is like a family. The bad thing about SS is that it is like a family. Great that folks buzzing around wanting to do stuff. Lousy that sometimes the the home life is so noisy, buzzing with stuff, that not everything gets done. We are the spoiled members of the family and want our stuff now, and done right, while the hards working ones are SO busy, they can't get it together. Too bad we can't fire some members of our own family, eh?
Anyway, patience, as in any family, is a virtue, and now, go play with your machine, keep it all sharp, and you'll eventually get what you want.
:rolleyes:
psf513 wrote::mad:
GOOD MORNING! I am a new Mark V owner and new to this site. I just read Dusty's posting with dismay. Then I went to the Owners site and discovered that there are no scheduled academies within the State of Virginia where I live. I gotta agree with Dusty that, if this is to truly work, there is going to have to be some effort on the part of SS.
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Oklahoma TA

Post by kd6vpe »

Dusty,
I'm not sure how but I got an email from SS telling me their is a TA coming to Tulsa soon and it offered me a 50% discount if I enrolled early. I did enroll for the turning class. It will be in March. I got it on 1/5/2008 and the class is the first week of March so there was plenty of lead time.:)
SS 500 upgraded to 510; SS bandsaw; SS jointer
SS Oscillating Drum Sander; Universal Lathe Rest;
lathe duplicatior, shaper fence and shapers; SS Belt
Sander
Jim
www.youtube.com/kd6vpe
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Post by Greenvilleguy »

Didn't I read on this forum that Rick Davis is the only instructor left in the Traveling academy? I'm not sure the east coast has anyway covering us anymore.
Doug
Greenville, SC
warningintruder
Gold Member

Post by warningintruder »

I guess there will not be a Traveling Academy In Oregon anytime soon :(
dusty
Platinum Member

Traveling Academy

Post by dusty »

warningintruder,

Don't bank on that without checking with Shopsmith. The information regarding the TA is a bit sketchy, to say the least.

Check directly with customer service. Pay close attention to your email. Make certain you are registered with Shopsmith to receive email notices.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
warningintruder
Gold Member

Post by warningintruder »

Thank You Dusty I will indeed do that:)
dusty
Platinum Member

Traveling Academy in Tucson

Post by dusty »

I just got home after another fantastis day at the Traveling Academy.

Today we had only four in attendance. It is almost like going to a provate class. With that student/teacher ratio there is an unbelieveable amount of time to ask questions and get detailed explanations.

If one needs a detailed explanation you can't get one any better than from Rick Davis.

Problem is, it just makes one want more and more. More one on one, more equipment, more time to stay in class. Shamefully, I get gready for more info than is my fair share.

I really feel bad though. There is no way that Shopsmith is reaching a pay back on this class. This sort of showing hurts the bottomline big time.

I can't help but feel that the marketing effort is some how missing the target by a long way.

Students must be recruited. They are not going to come in off the street just because.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

I just check the schedule once a week. I like to get in on the 50% off early bird special. And yes, currently Rick Davis (author of the nicely put together "The ShopSmith Journals" volume 1) is the only TA instructor that they have. I just checked the schedule and here is what I could find. I hope that I have not left any scheduled times out:eek: .

Arizona: Yesterday, today and tomorrow.

New Mexico: 2/8, 2/9, 2/10

Texas: 2/13, 2/14, 2/15, and 2/26, 2/27, 2/28, and 3/1, 3/2, 3/3

Oklahoma: 3/5, 3/6, 3/7

Kansas: 3/17, 3/18, 3/19

Colorado: 3/22, 3/23, 3/24, and 4/7, 4/8, 4/9, and 4/11, 4/12, 4/13

Idaho: 4/16, 4/17, 4/18

Montana: 4/30, 5/1, 5/2, and 5/4, 5/5, 5/6

Washington: 5/8, 5/9, 5/10

I'll bet Rick will be back to WA, OR and CA this summer:D .
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.