Crazy snow storm

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Crazy snow storm

Post by wannabewoodworker »

I live here in CT. and it has been snowing since 7:30 am and it isn't letting up at all. Must have at least 15+ inches on the ground and it is coming down at 2-3 inches an hour. I know many of you probably live where this is common but we don't get this stuff all that often and I can tell you that springtime can't come soon enough. Looking at a lot of snow blowing tomorrow morning and I have already done the whole place once already. I was planning on finishing my re-organizing of the shop tomorrow but after clearing all this damn white stuff I am betting is will be shot and just want to lay down and rest.
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Do not fret! The wind will fill it all up again over night. Unless you 'need' it cleared, 'ignore' it. It will self destruct in a month or so!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
burkhome
Gold Member

Post by burkhome »

My son lives near the coast in NH. We had 20 inches just before Christmas. He is pretty competitive and says they will get a lot more than that. He says looking out the window, it is pretty white.
Roger, Waupun Wisconsin
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Yes, having lived in snow country I do understand the "pretty white" comment. BUT, after shoveling your way out for a winter, "pretty" is no more. That is why I no longer live in "snow country". I shoveled out way too many times.

My concern now is for those who have never lived in this sort of weather and do not know what to expect or how to cope with it. Even short term freezes raise create a real hell if you don't know how to protect yourself.

I occasionally see that here in Arizona when every now and then the temperatures take a dip. We have had a couple hard freezes here this year and the plumbers make out like champs as do those who sell car batteries or provide service to cars that won't start (AAA Wrecker).

Then there those who would throw hot water on a frosted wind shield to clear the view. I had a neighbor who did that this year. I felt so sorry for them but just how stupid can one get. They are college graduates, too, from a big name school. (Not the School of Hard Knocks, they have not enrolled there yet.)
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ss50th
Gold Member

Post by ss50th »

dusty wrote:Yes, having lived in snow country I do understand the "pretty white" comment. BUT, after shoveling your way out for a winter, "pretty" is no more. That is why I no longer live in "snow country". I shoveled out way too many times.

My concern now is for those who have never lived in this sort of weather and do not know what to expect or how to cope with it. Even short term freezes raise create a real hell if you don't know how to protect yourself.

I occasionally see that here in Arizona when every now and then the temperatures take a dip. We have had a couple hard freezes here this year and the plumbers make out like champs as do those who sell car batteries or provide service to cars that won't start (AAA Wrecker).

Then there those who would throw hot water on a frosted wind shield to clear the view. I had a neighbor who did that this year. I felt so sorry for them but just how stupid can one get. They are college graduates, too, from a big name school. (Not the School of Hard Knocks, they have not enrolled there yet.)
I once saw a film of a guy who in super cold weather could not get his key to work to enter his car. He urinated on the area to defrost it and during the procedure guess what got stuck to the car. Ouch for him. Funny for those who saw the film.
Mixed feelings is watching your mother in law driving off a cliff in your new Rolls Royce. :) :(

Richard
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Post by wannabewoodworker »

Well I am up and it is nasty out there. Wind is blowing about 30-40 mph and we got 30+ inches of snow which is just paralyzing for us here in CT. The governor has closed all roads and they are telling people who are trying to get back here to plan on Tuesday or Wednesday. I don't even want to think about later having to dig out of this crap. I would love to be in Arizona or Florida right now.
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

We dodged this particular bullet this time. I can honestly say that I don't feel left out at all... :D :D :D

Having said that, If we had taken a snow and cold hit, I would still be working in the new basement shop and whining about the wood furnace keeping it too hot. :rolleyes: :D
Heading downstairs now...BTW, It "IS" taking shape nicely in the last couple of days. Still a lot of work to go.
I now have my "hanging strip" panels installed along 32' of the 40' east wall and have 5 Shopsmith's lined up end to end along it.
The hardest part is getting all of the stuff out of the shop that does not belong there. It is easy to pick up and carry it out but then you have to put it someplace. :rolleyes: :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

Here in middle New Hampshire, the temperature is 10 degrees and it has been snowing hard since about 5 AM yesterday. Still snowing like crazy and the wind gust are up to 55 mph. We are snowed in with drifts against all of the doors waist high. My driveway is plowed so if I wanted to shovel out the edge of the garage doors, I could get out if I wanted. But where would I go and what would I do? Most stores are closed and even the Post Offices in NH have closed for today (and tomorrow).

Our snow total can't compete with the 34" reported from Old Saybrook, CT and it's hard to tell because of the wind, but I'll guess somewhere around 24-30." We have had much bigger snow storms than that in the past so this is just another one of the big storms.

We have electricity, plenty of wood for heat (we do heat with wood), and plenty of food. So we don't have a need to go out. Our governor didn't close the roads (like Mass. & CT), she just asked people to stay off of them which most did. As a result, most of our roads have been plowed and are passable. But why go anywhere when it is warm and cozy right here. Besides, I have to make a couple of new cabinet doors for the kitchen so my Shopsmith and I will be working together later on this morning.

I'll wait until the snow stops (probably around noon or so) and then I'll begin digging out the sidewalks and doors. I have a big snow blower so it isn't that difficult. The bonus of all of the wind is that I don't have to shovel off the roofs which is routine up here for big snow storms.
________________________________________________________________________________________________
1981 Mark V 500, bandsaw, belt sander, jig saw, jointer; contractor's table saw; multiple circular saws and miter saws; and a trailer full of tools.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Abraham Lincoln
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

OUF ! ....
Not to gloat, but we in the northern part of the continent ... we did not get any of that.
But we have about 2 feet of snow on the ground right now and it is there until April or the end of it ... and we are well equipped to face that since it is a yearly occurrence.
We sympathize with you all who are suffering because of that storm.
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

As I understand it the snow is really welcomed in the face of the water shortage. Talked to my BIL who lives on Lake Michigans coast told me Lake Michigan is at it's lowest recorded level. My step FIL in SC says lake Hartwell is still down even after a 6 inch down pour last week.
Here in Florida things are turning brown and wildfires are starting to break out.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!