Poll - Do you have the PowerPro upgrade?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Do you have the PowerPro upgrade?

No
36%
No
18%
No
46%

Total votes: 131

drgonslyer
Bronze Member

Post by drgonslyer »

I have the PowerPro head stock, bought at a Lowes demo along with the caster and fence upgrades. But they still sit on my shop floor in their boxes. To many things have gotten in the way to get these items installed on my shopsmith - like work, work and more work and at night its just to cold to work in an unheated shop on cold metal.
510, updated to power pro head stock, new large casters, rip fence upgrade, SS bandsaw, Dewalt 13" thickness planer, Bosch router table, 2Hp Harbor Freight dust collector (220V), 6" Milwaukee long bed jointer (220V), 12" Dewalt miter saw
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I just received a webinar invite for the PowerPro demo. For what it is worth, the invite states that "more than 2000 Mark V owners have already upgraded to the PowerPro headstock."
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

If 2000 have been sold and the forum reports 37 does that mean that the forum ownership can be said to represent 2% of sales? In other words, are we a representative sample?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ghfaris
Silver Member

Offsetting the cost

Post by ghfaris »

I have not upgraded yet, although I really want to. The cost is the only deterrent. It has been mentioned on here already that selling off your existing parts could help lower the cost of the upgrade but that was only in terms of parts within your existing headstock. Some other parts or accessories that the PP upgrade would allow you to sell:
-Speed Increaser
-Speed Reducer
If you have them.
G.Faris
MKV w/Jointech SawTrain, All SPT's, MKV Mini, Pro-Planer, DC3300 and an EZ-One.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ghfaris wrote:I have not upgraded yet, although I really want to. The cost is the only deterrent. It has been mentioned on here already that selling off your existing parts could help lower the cost of the upgrade but that was only in terms of parts within your existing headstock. Some other parts or accessories that the PP upgrade would allow you to sell:
-Speed Increaser
-Speed Reducer
If you have them.
I would agree re the speed increasor, but not the speed reducer.

The speed increaser has a top speed limit(attained with a stock Mark 5/V that is equaled by the power pro).

The speed reducer does not have a minimum speed limit.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

JPG40504 wrote:I would agree re the speed increasor, but not the speed reducer.

The speed increaser has a top speed limit(attained with a stock Mark 5/V that is equaled by the power pro).

The speed reducer does not have a minimum speed limit.
Unless you are winding coils reducing the minimum speed from 250 to 35 RPM is not very useful. Plus the PowerPro is much easier to use as a drill press and less limiting as a lathe.

I don't know that I would operate the Speed Reducer at anything over 4,000 RPM either.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
ghfaris
Silver Member

Post by ghfaris »

I was thinking that the chances of me ever using the speed reducer after getting a PP would slim to none.
I have even considered selling my ProPlaner stand and motor to raise funds for the PP. Im just not sure if I want to go back to lifting it on and off of the way tubes again.
G.Faris
MKV w/Jointech SawTrain, All SPT's, MKV Mini, Pro-Planer, DC3300 and an EZ-One.