Health Insurance Premiums Going Up

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

dusty wrote:..
The insurers expect premiums to rise because that is part of their plan.
Maybe. Maybe not a choice.
Insur. co.'s take in money for premiums and then invest it, hopefully to make more money to pay claims and shareholders and make a profit if possible. When they can't make money on their investment, say when the market's going rate if interest is like near zero, like now, they have to raise rates. And when that doesn't work they close down, like some really Big ones have done and are about to.

I'm no fan of the Big Insurance industry, generally speaking, but this slant I read just today was something I hadn't thought of before.
Bottom line, Again, it is our own government that is the root cause of all this, and not really the insurance guys, and oil, and gas, and energy, and food, and,,,,,,,
{Look at ethanol! Perhaps the biggest "energy" fraud ever, responsible for the prices of almost EVERYthing going up & up, all tied together...for ex.)
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

joshh wrote:...y. For example: we are 39th in infant mortality.

That's not health care. That is infanticide. Baby murder. Legalized homicide. Thanks to the '63 Supremes, the Democrats in general, Obama the Red and the x-rated generations.
Over 50 M I L L I O N slaughtered babies.

And the attitudes that say it is a "right", and worse, that it is 'all right'. (Who cares" is the Anthem.)
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

joshh wrote:I'll agree with all of that. My concern is when any family has to choose between getting destroyed by an illness vs. getting destroyed by medical bills. The current system works well for a lot of people, but it also doesn't work for a lot of people who have done exactly what they were supposed to. There are many people who paid their premium only to have it cancelled when they needed it most, and as a result died unnecessarily.

It's a travesty how the government treats out vets. The VA should be a shining example of quality healthcare. While I feel everyone should get tax-funded healthcare, the vets deserve it more than anyone. I also believe that if someone serves in combat, they and their immediate family should have free, quality healthcare for life. This should include mental health.

I don't think any country has healthcare just right. There are many better than the US and many worse. What I do know is that as long as politicians are involved...we are screwed.

The VA is just one shining example of what happens then the government controls medicine. George Washington and the first Congress fundamentally disagreed with you about the VA. I completely agree about politicians screwing things up, $1,000,000 for two nights in a hotel in Paris for our VP we should all be outraged. What the Federal Government can and should provide is spelled out in the Constitution and everything else is left to the States. We are a very long way from that today and it has not helped the people at the bottom. We have a permanent dependent class and virtually a monarchy with politicians being above everyone else.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

fredsheldon wrote:As I have said many times here before, let's see how things look in 4 years. I have a feeling things will look much better. I suggested the stock market was going to break 14,000 sometime this year, which is an indicator of the health of businesses. I would have never guessed that it would hit 15,000 or maybe even 16,000 by the end of the year. Only time will tell as to where it will be in 4 more years. :) I believe the current administration is trying to make things better, but I'm not sure they are getting all the assistance they could be getting in their efforts. Time to go turn another bowl in case I need to sell it to feed my family.:D

The stock market hitting record highs is about inflation, companies paying dividends to avoid taxes and low interest rates, not what the government is doing right or wrong.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

Actually, companies pay their taxes and then pay dividends out what remains.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

keakap wrote:That's not health care. That is infanticide. Baby murder. Legalized homicide. Thanks to the '63 Supremes, the Democrats in general, Obama the Red and the x-rated generations.
Over 50 M I L L I O N slaughtered babies.

And the attitudes that say it is a "right", and worse, that it is 'all right'. (Who cares" is the Anthem.)

Wait, generation X has been in control this whole time? We are barely old enough now to even consider running for president.

Also, how are babies dying from lack of healthcare access the fault of the left? Oh never mind, you are talking abortion... Maybe a new thread should be dedicated to that.

My point on infant mortality was to show babies die all the time from lack of healthcare access. Darn these poor people, don't they know they would have healthcare if they had just been born into royalty? They should have chose better parents :rolleyes:
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

Seems like we're going around in circles. Lack of health care (not necessarily access to health care) is ONE of many reasons for infant mortality. Perhaps another reading of the Wikipedia article on the subject is in order -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infant_mortality

If you think FREE prenatal care ISN'T available in your area, call your local health department or even try Planned Parenthood. Or, do a Google search for "free prenatal care." If someone doesn't have access to the internet, a visit to the FREE public library would solve that issue. This should be a non-issue, but unfortunately ignorance also is free.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

pennview wrote:Seems like we're going around in circles. Lack of health care (not necessarily access to health care) is ONE of many reasons for infant mortality. Perhaps another reading of the Wikipedia article on the subject is in order -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infant_mortality

If you think FREE prenatal care ISN'T available in your area, call your local health department or even try Planned Parenthood. Or, do a Google search for "free prenatal care." If someone doesn't have access to the internet, a visit to the FREE public library would solve that issue. This should be a non-issue, but unfortunately ignorance also is free.
Maybe it's different outside of Texas, but here there is an all out war on women and poor people. Texas cut all funding for planned parenthood and ANY organization associated with abortion in any form. This includes all prenatal care and any clinic that even so much as mentions abortion...even if they don't perform them. While some people may find free prenatal care, if anything is wrong with the pregnancy they are screwed.

Here are Texas facts:
&#8220]

I seriously doubt 1.2 million Texas children could gain healthcare by going to a free library...

You can also claim I am ignorant to this, but I have Bachelor of Science in Radiology (almost done with my graduate program, and will apply to med school after) and work for one of the largest non-profit Children's hospitals in the country. A huge portion of our money and resources go to caring for those who WE feel have a "right" to live (Hint: it's everyone). How anyone could possibly think healthcare is not a "right" is completely beyond me. It's not something I can possibly sway in their mind. Perhaps it's because they haven't personally held many childrens' hands while they died because someone else felt our tax money is better spent elsewhere. This whole topic has me sick to my stomach and because of that, I'll bow out of the conversation now. My energy is better spent on people I can help.
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

joshh wrote:Wait, generation X has been in control this whole time? ...
First, thanks Josh for not layin a cyber bat upside mah haid for thet bombastic bloviation of blather of mine. Dang, that subject sets me off.
I apologize to everyone for that rant, here.

but one thing: compare "x generations" to "generation X". 'Twas not my intention that they be synonymous.

Aloha!
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

joshh wrote:...
My point on infant mortality was to show babies die all the time from lack of healthcare access. ...
Undoubtedly true, imho.

Shame of shames- why can't we provide "the least of these", say under the age of 8, with a pool (and notice I do NOT say "Federally funded") of resources for any and all medical needs?
It wouldn't really cost that much. None of this ridiculous 'kids on the parents H.I until the age of 26' bizness.

That and repeal and reverse Roe, just as the case "winner" has officially requested (and been effectively illegally denied).
Infant mortality in the U.S. would drop to near invisible.