Really wet here by me in IL

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Really wet here by me in IL

Post by reible »

On Ed's big adventure today I noticed the farmers were getting the big fans out trying to dry the fields. Didn't seem to be doing much good.

[ATTACH]20973[/ATTACH]

It has been sooooo cool that the skunk cabbage hasn't even bloomed yet.

[ATTACH]20974[/ATTACH]

Ed
Attachments
IMG_7486sc.jpg
IMG_7486sc.jpg (285.19 KiB) Viewed 1593 times
IMG_7493sc.jpg
IMG_7493sc.jpg (469.82 KiB) Viewed 1596 times
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Relatives down near Effingham report blooming plants already. Having lived near Rockford as well as downstate, I always found it amazing what a difference a few miles makes in climate and growing conditions.
The only good those fans do is to the developers' and promoters' bottom line! :mad:
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
frank81
Gold Member

Post by frank81 »

We've been getting it too over here in Missouri, thankfully the only thing we can grow is hay and cows and neither mind very much. The lakes are still down several feet from the scum lines on the sea walls, but moving in the right direction.

The weeds in my yard (thanks to the neighbors) are starting to bloom but my grass is still dormant. The pastures were noticeably green on the drive to work today.

70 and sunny this weekend though. As long as the winds stay down I'll be procrastinating on my project list and not feeling very guilty about it.
sawmill
Gold Member

Post by sawmill »

It is a little chilly here in northern Mich. We were on the rain snow line so we got a couple inches of snow then sleet then a little rain. Last year at this time I was fishing in the boat and the temp was in the 60's, not this year lakes still have 20 inches of ice
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

Along Florida's northern Gulf Coast, it's time to mow the second time this spring. Cut down the azaleas yesterday since the blooms had finished. Dogwood has finished with blooming. Storms last night took out most of the oak and pecan blooms. All over the ground today, so will pick up with the lawnmower. Overnight temps fell to about 58, but expected 75 again today. Was 80 yesterday with humugity (thanks for that word, Francis) about 99%

Ed, loved the pic in the OP. Thanks.;)
Steve, the old Florida gator

I just love it when she says I can go make sawdust. ;) :D
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

You mean you stop mowing??
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
frank81
Gold Member

Post by frank81 »

terrydowning wrote:You mean you stop mowing??
Heh. We had a severe drought last year and it got cold earlier. I mowed the front yard 4 times and back yard twice.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Some of the wife's flowers are up and budding out....do flowers do that? Anyway, there's signs of blooms. Fruit and nut trees are budding....I know they do that.:D Firs are just green. Some signs of cones, though.
As for grass....HA! We grow rocks.:eek:
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
saminmn
Gold Member

Post by saminmn »

Our April showers are white right now:eek: :eek: :eek:
Sam in Northfield, MN
A day without beer......could have been better :p :D :p
Mark V 500 - S/N 100990, Mark V 510 - S/N missing, SS Band Saw, SS 6" Belt Sander, SS 4" Jointer, SS Scroll Saw, SS DC3300
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

terrydowning wrote:You mean you stop mowing??
Not really! :D But in the winter months from about December 1 to February 1, I mow only about once a month. When the grass hibernates, the weeds grow taller and just as fast. Have MS walk tomorrow, rain all day Sunday, so will have to wait until Monday to mow again. Figs are producing, roses are blooming and the temps are getting close to summer. Today, bought Florida red potatoes, jalapenos, green beans and eggplant. So, it's time to get out and sharpen chisels, clean up the old SS, give it a good wax and find my fan on a stand so I can keep that hot muggy air moving. :D

Ed, I love the pic you posted. In a month, I'll be wishing I was up there.
Steve, the old Florida gator

I just love it when she says I can go make sawdust. ;) :D