Insurance whoa's

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

Ed in Tampa wrote:My insurance company and me are at war.
They insist I must replace my roof or they will not renew my insurance. Last year they insisted I have a roof inspection and the inspection said my roof was in good shape and had 4-6 years of life.
Now Insurance company is saying the inspection was last year so now my roof on has only 3 years and they don't insure houses with roofs that only have 3 years of life.

What a crock.

Checked with other companies and they won't write a policy on a house with a roof older than 15years. I asked about 30 year roofs and they said tuff they won't insure an over 15.

Anyone heard of such craziness. They want to replace a perfectly good roof. No leaks, not missing shingles, general condition is good or better.
I think the roof is good for 10 more years or better.

It was 20-25 year roof put on 20 years ago.
I have exactly the same problem. This year when my son purchased his first home the outfit we'd been with for 16 years, American Family, wouldn't insurance his place because it had a fuse box instead of breakers.

So now that my homeowners policy (and cars) are due for renewal - I decided to shop around. My roof is 20 years old and in good shape but I had two places who refused to write a policy because of the age. And one who wouldn't insure it because I have a wood burning stove and can't prove it was professionally installed.

I have 3 quotes on my desk that I need to go over.
New Leaf Custom Woodworking
Berry Conway - Chief Dust Maker
eagleta2
Gold Member

Post by eagleta2 »

[quote="dusty"]I think I would consider moving to some place where the winds are just winds and not tornadoes or hurricanes and the ground is stable enough to not become a sink hole. This probably would not relieve you of insurance cost issues though]

Hey Dusty

Out here we have a different set of problems... we do not have many natural disasters in az, but we do have heat that many just cannot cope with. ( I am happy to, though) .a

Also, the cost of water and sewer is incredible here compared to others areas that I've lived in...

Every place has its own set of problems...

Thanks
Geo
frank81
Gold Member

Post by frank81 »

eagleta2 wrote:Hey Dusty

Out here we have a different set of problems... we do not have many natural disasters in az, but we do have heat that many just cannot cope with. ( I am happy to, though) .a

Also, the cost of water and sewer is incredible here compared to others areas that I've lived in...

Thanks
Geo
I moved from the coast in NC to the Midwest, and my town has the highest elevation in the state. No more hurricanes or floods, and utility rates are less then 1/3 what I was paying before (makes you wonder). But now I have snow and tornados to deal with. I think that's a good tradeoff.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

eagleta2 wrote:Hey Dusty

Thanks
Geo
Yes, we do have our own set of problems simply because we are in Arizona. As you mention, the heat can be devastating to some. In our case here, it devastates the budget via the electric bill for air conditioning.

I don't have a big problem with the heat but she who controls the thermostat likes it really cool. My monthly electric bill is $224 (we pay based on average monthly consumption).

The heat and low humidity also takes a toll on anything rubber or plastic. Automobile window moldings, gaskets, tires, etc. and batteries.

Then there are all of the critters that live here but not elsewhere like the tarantulas and rattle snakes. I don't mind the tarantulas at all but I do what I can to avoid the rattlers. We don't see many, anymore, but they are NOT GONE. I see one or two every summer and I wear my high top leather jump boots whenever I spend much time out in the back yard.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

dusty wrote:Yes, we do have our own set of problems simply because we are in Arizona. As you mention, the heat can be devastating to some. In our case here, it devastates the budget via the electric bill for air conditioning.

I don't have a big problem with the heat but she who controls the thermostat likes it really cool. My monthly electric bill is $224 (we pay based on average monthly consumption).

The heat and low humidity also takes a toll on anything rubber or plastic. Automobile window moldings, gaskets, tires, etc. and batteries.

Then there are all of the critters that live here but not elsewhere like the tarantulas and rattle snakes. I don't mind the tarantulas at all but I do what I can to avoid the rattlers. We don't see many, anymore, but they are NOT GONE. I see one or two every summer and I wear my high top leather jump boots whenever I spend much time out in the back yard.
We have our share of snakes in Florida but I could not / would not live in a place where I had to wear snake boots to go out in the back yard. I just don't like snakes. The only good snake is a three piece snake. Carefully made into a three piece snake by the careful application of a hoe.

What gives me joy is the six foot long black racers that love to wait until I'm about a foot away before they more enough for me to spot them. WoW! What excitement as my feet do the happy dance and I try to get my heart back in place and in beat again. Love those guys. However I know if they are around most other snakes are else where so I leave them pretty much alone unless they want to fight or something.:eek:
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

The Woodlands TX is being required to switch from ground water to surface water in the coming few years. Their main source of water will be Lake Conroe. Two years ago the lake lost 1/2 of it's capaticy due to lack of rain. My sailboat got stuck in the mud. I know what's going to happen. The cost of water is going to go through the roof. In fact it has already doubled in the past 2 years. So, I just installed rain gutters on the back of my house last night and ordered 6 50 gallon rain water collection barrels to install in the back yard. I will use these to collect water to water my plants and trees. I hope there will be enough rain to keep these barrels full. I will be checking into leasing solar panels to be installed on my roof. I have cut out 16 plywood panels and installed storm clips which I use to protect all my windows and doors when a big storm approachs. I have purchased 5 large rolls of plastic sheeting and several boxes of roofing nails which I will use to patch up any holes in my roof due to storm damage. I have puchased 2 storm generators. I have a several months supply of toilet paper and bottled water. I'm trying to think of everything I can do to prepare for the worse and reduce the damage to my house in the event of a direct hit from a big storm. I have flood insurance even though it wasn't required. I'm only 154 feet above sea level :) Am I overreacting?
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

fredsheldon wrote:The Woodlands TX is being required to switch from ground water to surface water in the coming few years. Their main source of water will be Lake Conroe. Two years ago the lake lost 1/2 of it's capaticy due to lack of rain. My sailboat got stuck in the mud. I know what's going to happen. The cost of water is going to go through the roof. In fact it has already doubled in the past 2 years. So, I just installed rain gutters on the back of my house last night and ordered 6 50 gallon rain water collection barrels to install in the back yard. I will use these to collect water to water my plants and trees. I hope there will be enough rain to keep these barrels full. I will be checking into leasing solar panels to be installed on my roof. I have cut out 16 plywood panels and installed storm clips which I use to protect all my windows and doors when a big storm approachs. I have purchased 5 large rolls of plastic sheeting and several boxes of roofing nails which I will use to patch up any holes in my roof due to storm damage. I have puchased 2 storm generators. I have a several months supply of toilet paper and bottled water. I'm trying to think of everything I can do to prepare for the worse and reduce the damage to my house in the event of a direct hit from a big storm. I have flood insurance even though it wasn't required. I'm only 154 feet above sea level :) Am I overreacting?
I would use the word 'Prudent".:cool:;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

fredsheldon wrote:I have puchased 2 storm generators. I have a several months supply of toilet paper and bottled water.

Why knot let the storms develop naturally? :rolleyes:

What no FOOD supply?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

[quote="fredsheldon"] I have puchased 2 storm generators. [quote]

I have looked into generators and frankly it isn't worth it. Unless you have a gas station within walking distance and it has a generator to pump the gas you will probably run out of gas fairly quickly.

Also here in Florida after I think it 2008 everyone went and bought generators, for the first few years they ran them every few months and changed oil, then they began to slack off and now after 5 years or more most would not start if you primed them with gun powder.:eek:
They are all over the craigslist in my area since it has been 5 years of taking up space not to mention the purchase price of a thousand or more without a storm.

If you are going to get a generator go natural gas get a huge tank and install one that automatically starts up and runs for few minutes every few months.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed in Tampa wrote:
fredsheldon wrote: I have puchased 2 storm generators.

I have looked into generators and frankly it isn't worth it. Unless you have a gas station within walking distance and it has a generator to pump the gas you will probably run out of gas fairly quickly.

Also here in Florida after I think it 2008 everyone went and bought generators, for the first few years they ran them every few months and changed oil, then they began to slack off and now after 5 years or more most would not start if you primed them with gun powder.:eek:
They are all over the craigslist in my area since it has been 5 years of taking up space not to mention the purchase price of a thousand or more without a storm.

If you are going to get a generator go natural gas get a huge tank and install one that automatically starts up and runs for few minutes every few months.
With all that many abused generators and a viable set of potential customers, you ought to be buying up and reconditioning generators. Normally all they need is to be cleaned properly and maybe a new start switch (badly pitted from repeated unsuccessful attempts).

Same thing in areas where there are a lot of RVs. Most RVer's do not properly care for their generators.

BTW Propane generators are not immune from being damaged by neglect. When I was laid up with my bad knees, I ignored the RV. When I needed it, I had to rebuild the generator. I have a schedule, the first week of every month (bigger of the paydays), when I do chores like "start the RV generator".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.