Insurance whoa's

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Insurance whoa's

Post by Ed in Tampa »

My insurance company and me are at war.
They insist I must replace my roof or they will not renew my insurance. Last year they insisted I have a roof inspection and the inspection said my roof was in good shape and had 4-6 years of life.
Now Insurance company is saying the inspection was last year so now my roof on has only 3 years and they don't insure houses with roofs that only have 3 years of life.

What a crock.

Checked with other companies and they won't write a policy on a house with a roof older than 15years. I asked about 30 year roofs and they said tuff they won't insure an over 15.

Anyone heard of such craziness. They want to replace a perfectly good roof. No leaks, not missing shingles, general condition is good or better.
I think the roof is good for 10 more years or better.

It was 20-25 year roof put on 20 years ago.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed in Tampa wrote:My insurance company and me are at war.
They insist I must replace my roof or they will not renew my insurance. Last year they insisted I have a roof inspection and the inspection said my roof was in good shape and had 4-6 years of life.
Now Insurance company is saying the inspection was last year so now my roof on has only 3 years and they don't insure houses with roofs that only have 3 years of life.

What a crock.

Checked with other companies and they won't write a policy on a house with a roof older than 15years. I asked about 30 year roofs and they said tuff they won't insure an over 15.

Anyone heard of such craziness. They want to replace a perfectly good roof. No leaks, not missing shingles, general condition is good or better.

Are you in a situation where you are "required" to have the house insured?

If not - isn't it your decision. Buy insurance and be covered or run the risk of wishing you had.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:Are you in a situation where you are "required" to have the house insured?

If not - isn't it your decision. Buy insurance and be covered or run the risk of wishing you had.
Put on a masonry roof!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Ed in Tampa wrote:My insurance company and me are at war.

What a crock.

I haven't heard of this but I'm not the least bit surprised by it either. You could check with your state insurance commission to see if this issue is regulated
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

forrestb
Platinum Member

careful with masonry or tile roofs

Post by forrestb »

They are tough, but our daughter just had to pay $700 to replace 30 tiles on her roof that an inspector said were cracked. They aren't required by the insurance company to do this (Ed, I have never heard of anything like your situation) but are selling the house and it was a condition they accepted.
Forrest
Forrest
Huntington Beach, CA
1985 500->510->520, bandsaw, jointer, planer, PowerPro, double-tilt, 3" casters,(now obsolete) speed increaser
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

Time for a steel roof ?? That ought to make the neighbors happy :)
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I talked to the state insurance commission and they assured me the insurance company was within their stated criteria for doing business.

The problem is Hurricanes and people building on the coast. If you can see water you know you are going to get wiped out some day. It is not if but when.

Some of these houses were built in 80's costing 100K and now with the cost of beach front going up they are valued at $500k to a million. Some have been rebuild by the insurance companies two and three times.

So the insurance companies to buffer their lost are charging us who live inland to bare the cost. And in the process they are trying to marginalize how much they will have to pay. So they got the state Gov to okay their stupid roof requirements.

Now the only choice is bow down and replace a perfectly good roof or go without insurance. I know about 10 houses that don't have insurance.

Oh did I mention that once I get the roof on I will be looking at $2400+ a year insurance costs for a 3 bedroom two bath house. Add this to the $2400 a year property tax and it is costing me $400 a month without including mortage payments to live in the house.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

The roof on my house is only 125 years old and I never had trouble getting insurance (standing seam tin). As long as it's painted from time to time it keeps things nice and dry. Oh and the mortgage is now paid off as of yesterday.

BPR
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

ryanbp01 wrote:The roof on my house is only 125 years old and I never had trouble getting insurance (standing seam tin). As long as it's painted from time to time it keeps things nice and dry. Oh and the mortgage is now paid off as of yesterday.

BPR

Oh HAPPY DAY!!! :D:D:D:D

I'm looking forward to that myself as mine will be paid off in Sep. 2015. Then it will only cost about $300/month to live here. The taxes can't go up much because with our over 65/disability(wife)/and disabled veterans(me) exemptions our taxes are capped.

Insurance may be another matter - we'll see in a couple of years.:eek:
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

ryanbp01 wrote:The roof on my house is only 125 years old and I never had trouble getting insurance (standing seam tin). As long as it's painted from time to time it keeps things nice and dry. Oh and the mortgage is now paid off as of yesterday.

BPR
The roof on my house is almost 25 years old, and it keeps the house dry so long as I keep a bucket under the leaky spot. :rolleyes: The mortgage will be paid off when I am 125 years old. :eek: