little personal win

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

eagleta2
Gold Member

little personal win

Post by eagleta2 »

Hi all

I considered not posting this here...but just can't help myself.
After 28 years of smoking about a pack a day...sometimes as many as two and a half packs a day for a short while...I'm happy to report that I haven't smoked a cigarette since last Wednesday.

Now is the time for me to openly admit I wasn't strong enough to quit...but I did manage to change. I'm thoroughly enjoying an e-cigarette now. In my simple mind, its a better solution(at least for me). I can do it anywhere, no offensive odors on or around me, no nic stains on fingers, teeth no yellowing, no bad breath, zero tar, should save over $100 a month...

4 days in and feeling great. Thanks for letting me share! :D

Geo
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

Good for you.
Its has been 29 years since I quit.
I look at all my tools and it would have been smoke instead.
The health side is also important.
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

eagleta2 wrote:Hi all

I considered not posting this here...but just can't help myself.
After 28 years of smoking about a pack a day...sometimes as many as two and a half packs a day for a short while...I'm happy to report that I haven't smoked a cigarette since last Wednesday.

Now is the time for me to openly admit I wasn't strong enough to quit...but I did manage to change. I'm thoroughly enjoying an e-cigarette now. In my simple mind, its a better solution(at least for me). I can do it anywhere, no offensive odors on or around me, no nic stains on fingers, teeth no yellowing, no bad breath, zero tar, should save over $100 a month...

4 days in and feeling great. Thanks for letting me share! :D

Geo
Congratulations. This is certainly an accomplishment to be proud of.

My mother and father both attempted to stop smoking. Dad succeeded but Mother did not. We all thought that Mom was the one who was strong willed.

I never smoked but my little brother did. He quit about three years ago and as far as I know has not had a cigarette in that time.

Again - Congratulations. Job Well Done. Be Strong.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
lightnin
Platinum Member

Post by lightnin »

I'm a cigar smoker..
I quit for five years once...
I wanted to smoke every single day for those five years.
I started again in an extremely stressful time in my life.
after thirteen years I've quit again for about a month now
I'm going to try to only smoke one cigar a month...
I'll have to wait about six months before the one a month starts...
If I have one to look forward to maybe that will be enough.
Bonus.. I can afford to smoke the very best if it's only one a month.
Bruce

I didn't know what a Shopsmith was...
Three days later I owned one...
One week later I was rebuilding one...
Four months later I owned two....
Ok Ok, I'm up to four now...
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

Congratulations. I gave it up 25 years ago after smoking for 30 years, and do not miss it one bit. I had to use the patch after tiring nicorte for about 6 years, it got to where I was chewing nicorte and smoking at the same time. I just wonder what they will say the e-cigarette does to you?
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
saminmn
Gold Member

Post by saminmn »

Congrats!!

I took lots of walks when I quite a 3-pack-a-day habit back in 1983:D They really helped. After a couple of months success I tried a cigar. It taste too good. I gave the rest of the pack to a brother that could enjoy them. It was a smart move for me.

The dreams where I thought I had regressed did go away a few years back:D :) :D :)

I really just quit buying them and never really thought of buying more. I knew I would not bum smokes because an ex-boss had quit and then bummed from me whenever he was in town:mad: :eek: Even at 1983 prices it was not cool.

Lots of luck to you.
Sam in Northfield, MN
A day without beer......could have been better :p :D :p
Mark V 500 - S/N 100990, Mark V 510 - S/N missing, SS Band Saw, SS 6" Belt Sander, SS 4" Jointer, SS Scroll Saw, SS DC3300
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

Good for you. You will have your good days and your bad days. On those bad days, go take a long walk. The only down side to quitting will be you might gain 20 to 30 pounds. That's why you need to start walking or riding a bike, you will gain an appetite for good foods that you will actually taste for the first time in years. Hang in there, you can do this. Your body will thank you in the long run.
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
eagleta2
Gold Member

Post by eagleta2 »

I appreciate the congratulations guys... thank you!

So far as I can take all the e-cig doesn't have any I'll side effects other than still containing nicotene. The way I look at this...no matter the unknown I'll effects, it must be better than smoking cigarettes.

So far the only issue 4 days in is that my sense of smell is returning...with a vengeance. I keep smelling cheeseburgers with fried onions whenever I'm within two miles of an IN N OUT burger :D

Thanks

Geo
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Post by wlhayesmfs »

It has been 25 years for me, I did 4 packs a day for almost 20 year and then set them down on New Years Eve. Told everyone for 6 Month was going to quit that night when I got home. Had to or would have looked like a lier. But stay off of them even with my wife smoking 2 packs a day for the next 20years now she laid them down and quit cold turkey also. So no smoking a this house for the last 5 years and she is still going.
Congradulations on you stopping will save money and your health.
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

Good for you. Still addicted but not so dangerously (so far as we know). By the time the research is in you won't care because you won't be here. And the addiction providers won't either because they will have a different product.

I gave up sex 15 years ago (with a LOT of help from my wife). I'm sure others on the forum know what I'm talking about but won't admit it. Get your wife involved and she may get you off the e-cigarettes entirely.:eek: