little personal win

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

eagleta2
Gold Member

Post by eagleta2 »

LMAO... reminded me of the old joke...how do you paralyze a woman from the waist down?"

By the way...my 20 yr wedding anniversary is Wednesday.

Thanks for the chuckle.:)

Geo
berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

Congratulations, well done!! But you can do better. No need to substitute another habit.

I smoked Lucky's for 26 years with a 2+ pack a day habit. I think I know something about quitting. Let me offer a few pieces of advice for you or anyone else trying to kick the habit.

1. (Unfortunately this info comes too late for you.) Don't tell anyone you're quitting. Everyone wants to know how you're doing and all those questions and attention just adds pressure to the process of quitting.

2. Even though your quitting do the same things you always do - continue with your daily routines. When I quit I continued to go to the dock (the smoking lounge in our building) at the usual times of the day.

3. Don't waste your time/money on some program from the Cancer Society or the Heart Association. All those programs are taught by people who've never smoked and have never been addicted and think quitting is like crossing the street - it ain't.

4. Write down on paper a list of 50 things in your life that would be better if you quit. Keep the list with you at all times. Quitting is a process where you quit one cigarette at a time. Don't think about quitting forever. When you have the urge to smoke - stop what your doing read and think about the items on that list. You must confront the urge and decide for yourself I'm not going to have this cigarette. You might have to do that 40-50 times a day. So each time you have the urge you need to stop and confront it. It gets easier as time goes by.

5. One of the worst times for smokers is when they can't smoke e.g. on a plane. Have you ever run out of smokes camping and gone through the garbage looking for a butt? Or driven 30 miles to town for a pack? To minimize that feeling keep a pack of smokes handy all the time. You'll know if you choose to smoke it's easy and it will make choosing not to smoke easier. Remember you arechoosing to quit.

6. Don't substitute. Don't eat or drink or chew gum or whatever.

7. If you're having a difficult time with a real urge, sometimes it helps to have another person who has quit to talk to. It doesn't need to be a good friend, just someone who get it and doesn't mind talking to you.

You can do this!
New Leaf Custom Woodworking
Berry Conway - Chief Dust Maker
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I quit twice. Both times the procedure was quite simple.

a) Decide to quit.

b) Quit.

c) Do not start up again.( screwed this up the first time:rolleyes:)

i.e. Tis a mental thing. Make up your mind, then be stubborn about changing it.

All you have to worry about is the first one.

Last one was over 30 years ago!

Yes tis far easier said than done.

P. S. Many years later start taking COPD 'medicine'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

JPG40504 wrote:I quit twice. Both times the procedure was quite simple.

a) Decide to quit.

b) Quit.

c) Do not start up again.( screwed this up the first time:rolleyes:)

i.e. Tis a mental thing. Make up your mind, then be stubborn about changing it.

All you have to worry about is the first one.

Last one was over 30 years ago!

Yes tis far easier said than done.

P. S. Many years later start taking COPD 'medicine'.

JPG. you have such a way with words ...
What is COPD medecine ?
I do not understand abbreviations so I have to ask every time and most of the time forget about them, because I do not "twit" or use them in my emails.
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

camerio wrote:JPG. you have such a way with words ...
What is COPD medecine ?
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,