Nick's editorial on Plywood

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Nick's editorial on Plywood

Post by Greenvilleguy »

I found Nick's editorial on plywood http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Archives/SS112/SS112_Clamp_Caddy_files/images/Choosing_Plywood.pdf
very interesting and extremely well written. I've shown it around to others and I hope you all will too.

I really like the last paragraph.

"Especially when it makes the difference between worthwhile or not worth a damn, between done right or not quite, between leaving a legacy or simply leaving."

(I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the author of over 50 books can write so eloquently, but I was.)
Doug
Greenville, SC
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Nick's Plywood editorial

Post by wa2crk »

Can anyone tell me how to find Nick's editorial on plywood?
The links that are posted do not work.
Perhaps they have been shut down?
Nick, any help?
Bill
smredleg
Gold Member

Plywood: The Choices You Make

Post by smredleg »

Go to Hands Online #12 segment on cutting dadoes and rabbits in plywood.
Scroll down on the blackboard.
I agree it's a great piece, and a bit freightening if your working with that "crap."

w
dusty
Platinum Member

Nick's Editorial on Plywood

Post by dusty »

wa2crk, I think this is what you want to read:

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... lywood.pdf
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Just more reason to buy American. (Yes, I am still on that bandwagon:D )
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

a1gutterman wrote:(Yes, I am still on that bandwagon:D )
You are not alone there, Tim.
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

Buying American sounds good until you realize that today it means foreigners buying our homes, our land and our natural resources. I for one would like to see goods produced by Americans, for Americans and consumed by Americans. I have seen an Asian Shopsmith knockoff and it is not pretty. I am sure this sounds like isolationism, but the more we deal with the rest of the world the more we seem to get the short end of the stick. Just my opinion.
ldh
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

ldh wrote:Buying American sounds good until you realize that today it means foreigners buying our homes, our land and our natural resources. I for one would like to see goods produced by Americans, for Americans and consumed by Americans. I have seen an Asian Shopsmith knockoff and it is not pretty. I am sure this sounds like isolationism, but the more we deal with the rest of the world the more we seem to get the short end of the stick. Just my opinion.
ldh
You know that is what I meant:rolleyes: . And, there is nothing wrong with your opinion. A good start would be to place taxes on imports equal to the tax other countries put on our exports. All of a sudden you would have a more even keel price wise, and more Americans would buy the more price equal and most-of-the-time better made American product.;)
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

[quote="a1gutterman"]You know that is what I meant:rolleyes: . And, there is nothing wrong with your opinion. A good start would be to place taxes on imports equal to the tax other countries put on our exports. All of a sudden you would have a more even keel price wise, and more Americans would buy the more price equal and most-of-the-time better made American product.]

Tim
I think your wrong when you say "...more Americans would buy the more price equal and most-of-the-time better made American product."

I think what would happen would be the prices would be more and the american public would accuse the current government of not doing anything to make them rich.

Look at how some people react to the price of an American made Shopsmith. Most say I can buy 6 jet table saws for that price.
The American public wants two things less work and the ability to buy more (be it more money or less cost). Unfortunately that is not the same two things that made this country. In the past it was accepting hard work and using technology to make it better and cheaper.
Ed
paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

This is going to turn into an interesting discussion.
a1gutterman wrote:A good start would be to place taxes on imports equal to the tax other countries put on our exports.
What amazes me is how many people say this, yet how nothing seems to happen from our government. I'm not sure why. Perhaps the idea won't work?

Paul