skou wrote:Who is this guy?

And, what is he doing with such a SWEET ER?? That thing looks brand new! :D

MickyD, good to see you!

steve
When new, it was not 'polished'!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I think my one disappointment with the Sawsmith so far is just the lack of information and community. There's a Yahoo group, but it doesn't seem very active. There's a couple badly photocopied manuals that can be found at the Yahoo group and at VintageMachinery.org. There's the Tool-Hunter blog page (which has probably been my favorite resource so far with all the old advertisements) and the date chart for serial numbers on Shopsmith's web site. A couple brief mentions on a couple forums. And that's about it.

It seems that I have rather quickly exhausted all of the web resources regarding the Sawsmith and I still feel like I don't really "know" my RAS. When I first discovered Shopsmith 10ER, it was like a whole new world of information and resources opened up to me. Active discussion forums, lots of documentation, analysis of the production variations through the years, etc.

When I do my restoration on the Sawsmith RAS, I think I'll try to document and post everything here. Something akin to what MickyD did with his Mark 5 and 10ER and what JPG40504 is doing with the old Mark VII. I wish something like that already existed for the RAS, but I can't find it. And I if I wish it existed, then I bet other people do too.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
henecle
Gold Member

Post by henecle »

you're not alone... I've picked up two recently along with some of the more elusive plastics parts from a third. Planning to use two and a half to make one. The Yahoo SS RAS group is probably the best source for assistance/data. Replacement belts and bearings seem to be the biggest impediment to restoration. :(
Leif

1981 Mark V Model 500 "Shorty"
1981 Mark V Model 500 "Drill Press"
1987 Sawsmith 2000 Ultra
2005 Mark 7 PowerPro Model 520/Bandsaw/Jointer/Pro Planer/Belt Sander/Scroll Saw/Jigsaw/Strip Sander/Universal Tool Rest/Speed Reducer/DC3300/RingMaster/Mortising Package/MiterSled 5000/Biscuit Joiner/Grinding Wheel Guard/Nova G3 Chuck/Lathe Duplicator/SS Air System
2010 Lumber Smith sawmill
CarveWright CNC

"I wish I could remember everything my Dad taught me"
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:Hi
MickieD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whatchu say you young whipper snapper you? Tings good? Tings good here.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:Whatchu say you young whipper snapper you? Tings good? Tings good here.

I am running out of places to 'store' parts for WIP!:D Soon to be revealed, a Mark 2 hybrid(some orphaned parts anyway).

Patience Grasshopper!;)

Lord knows we have been quite patient awaiting yer 'second coming'!:cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I was planning on spending some good quality time with the RAS today, but a make-up tee ball game this morning that we only found out about last night, a migraine that started developing on the way back that is just now starting to subside, and a dinner party tonight at my wife's sister's tonight means I've lost out on a day to work on it or any of the projects I'min the mmiddle of.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

heathicus wrote:I was planning on spending some good quality time with the RAS today, but a make-up tee ball game this morning that we only found out about last night, a migraine that started developing on the way back that is just now starting to subside, and a dinner party tonight at my wife's sister's tonight means I've lost out on a day to work on it or any of the projects I'min the mmiddle of.
Dang it! I just hate it when life gets in the way of woodworking. Happens to me all the time :rolleyes:

Case in point, I just got home from my niece's wedding. Outdoor evening wedding, and Mother Nature was not kind. I have a 4WD SUV that I bought 10 years ago, and have never once needed to lock the center differential. Until tonight. To get through deep mud, and then climb a mud-slicked hill to leave a wedding! But hey, at least that part was pretty fun, and I even got to rescue the wedding photographer from her stuck "crossover" vehicle! :D. Wanna see a photo of all the the mud caked on the cuffs of my best suit?
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

mickyd wrote:Whatchu say you young whipper snapper you? Tings good? Tings good here.
MickeyD, I just re read your 156 page rebuild of the ER. (well, only 56 pages, but who's countin'.)

I'm simply AMAZED!!

I've got the base of my old FrankenSmith ER that went through a trailer fire. (Base, headstock, MkV headrest, and ER tailstock. I'll get this mess running, soon. It does have a Skip-built DC motor and controller. (if anyone needs a GOOD power unit for the E or ER, talk to Skip!)

Yes, Skip's motor is still alive.

It's good to see you back here.

POST MORE!!

steve
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I just picked up this rust bucket, merely for parts. It's in rough shape, covered with rust and oxidation. I don't know if the motor works because there is no power cord. But for $25, I couldn't resist.

It will also give me something to perform "experimental surgery" on so I don't have to fear messing up my production Sawsmith.
Heath
Central Louisiana