Shopsmith 10ER

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

johndorsey
Bronze Member

Shopsmith 10ER

Post by johndorsey »

I have a Shopsmith 10ER. I never thought there were so many obsessed with this marvel. My esteem for it has gone up immensely! Before I get to my questions, I would like to tell the story how I came to own it at great relative price.
My father, avid do-it-yourself guy, and I went to a local home show and saw a demonstration of the latest Mark V. Then he was 85 or older and we both had a little lust for the thing. One day, while I was I the hospital recovering from an appendectomy, he called me up and told me he saw an ad in the paper where a construction company was sell "a Shopsmith" with attachment (band saw, disc sander, etc) for $400.00 and he wanted to know if he should buy it for me, as my agent, not a a present. I, of course, was still under the daze of the anesthesia and said hell, yea. Of course, what did I know about Shopsmith and that I was about to be the proud owner of a 50-year old relic that weighed a ton and wasn't even on a classic base. Anyway, I have been using it for year only as a table saw.
I need a motor start-up capacitor since sometimes I have to get it going by using a piece of wood to spin the blade. Finally, the time has come for me to find a new home for it and I was wondering what would be a fair price to expect.
I would be happy to hear any rabid love stories also!
daddysgirl
Bronze Member

Ancient shopsmith

Post by daddysgirl »

Coincidence! I am trying to decide value on my father's shopsmith (ER) and find out the history. I think he purchased it in the early 1950s. It still runs quietly and I believe has all the parts except the saw guard (he was pretty adventurous but kept all his fingers!). It is on the base but has no wheels.
mranum
Gold Member

Post by mranum »

Over at this thread http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=1201
I wrote about the ER I had just acquired and what I paid for it and what I got with it if it helps you figure out a value, and I just posted pics there of the before and after of the reconditioning. The shape its in now I wouldn't even think about selling it for under $350. That being said there is an upper limit for such an old machine vs finding a nice Mark V for not alot more money.

Matt
mada1
Bronze Member

10ER - Input Power

Post by mada1 »

We have a model 10ER that was my father in-laws. Just began putting it together and plan to replace the power cord. However I noticed that it appears to have a 220V AC plug on the end. Can this model be ran on 120V without modification? If not, does anyone know what changes need to be made?

Thank you
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

mada1 wrote:We have a model 10ER that was my father in-laws. Just began putting it together and plan to replace the power cord. However I noticed that it appears to have a 220V AC plug on the end. Can this model be ran on 120V without modification? If not, does anyone know what changes need to be made?

Thank you
Welcome mada1,
Your question can be answered simply, but, knot knowing all of the details, it can also be complicated. Let me try to help by first answering your question the simple way: No, if it is truly set up for use on a 220v circuit, it will knot work on a 110v circuit without modification. I am knot familiar with the ER motor, but many electric motors are "switchable" to run on either 220 or 110. Usually the "switch" is a matter of where the wires hook up on the motor. Knot all motors have that ability. The other thing to consider is did your FIL really plug that into a 220v circuit? I have personally seen some crazy wiring jobs, including some that use the wrong plugs/recetacles for the voltage they are supplying. It is possible (but knot likely) that even though it has a 220 plug on the end of the cord, it is a 110 motor. If that is the case, the answer to your question wood be "Yes". Maybe an EE on this site can answer better, but I wood proceed very carefully; you do knot want to have to replace a perfectly good motor that you just burned up!!!:eek:
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

mada1 wrote: However I noticed that it appears to have a 220V AC plug on the end.
Thank you
The 220 plug MAYBE so it wasn't plugged into a non-dedicated circuit?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

beeg wrote:The 220 plug MAYBE so it wasn't plugged into a non-dedicated circuit?
Bob,
If you are suggesting that there is a possibility that the plug is intended for a 110v circuit, but uses a 220v plug/receptacle, that is exactly what I am talking about when I say "crazy wiring jobs". :rolleyes:
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

mranum wrote:Over at this thread http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=1201
That being said there is an upper limit for such an old machine vs finding a nice Mark V for not alot more money.

Matt

That sentence would be grounds for heating up the tar kettle and ripping open pillows on the "SS10ERusers" email group on Yahoo...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Over there they talk all of the time about how much better the 10-ER is than the Mark V. :)
If anyone is interested in 10-E's or 10-ER's Skip Campbell runs a really great and informative list and is very knowledgeable himself.
Some of them on that list have owned Mark V's and sold them in favor of their 10-ER.
I favor the Mark V's (and the Mark VII) but I must confess that my 10-ER weighs a whole lot more than my Mark V's. I have not used it enough to really form an opinion to compare. The 10-ER has a lot of cast iron in it. A lot of guys on that list talk about how simple the maintenance is on them. Others rave about how well the extra weight holds it down as a lathe.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Again it is location location location.

I've been looking for one as a birthday present for my older brother, to be used as a lathe, he has all the other normal tools (non-shopsmith). So I've been watching the normal outlets and have had some friends keeping their eyes open as well. This was for any shopsmith.... but the following were the results for 10er's in my area.

One ebay one came up for $199.99 ended with no bids...
Another came up for $149.95 ended with no bids...
I'm picking one up in a few hours (ebay buy) $75.00 and I was the only one to bid.

These were over the last month, and are only a sample of ones in my geographic area (driving distance). Can't say for other areas or other times.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

1) Check the plate on the motor.

2) A 120v 20A plug/receptacle look very similar to 1 230v20A version. Each has one 'vertical' blade and one 'horizontal' blade. They are reversed in position.

The important thing is WHAT IS THE MOTOR and ignore what somebody did with the linecord. Then put the proper plug on it.

I do not know if 10e/er came with a 230v motor. I doubt it but it could be 'NON original'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange