Using a Shop Smith Mark V on a Chris Craft Roamer refit

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Thanks, BuckeyeDennis!

This boat will definitely get used. I have no intention of selling it, but you know what they say about never say never...

Anyway, it's been a while since I wrote a blog article on my Roamer project. Winter conspired against me, and a lot of projects got a little bit done but nothing advanced enough to inspire me to write. Gotta get back into the swing of things...

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Setting Up Shop
Cheers,

Q

roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Thanks, BuckeyeDennis!

This boat will definitely get used. I have no intention of selling it, but you know what they say about never say never...

Anyway, it's been a while since I wrote a blog article on my Roamer project. Winter conspired against me, and a lot of projects got a little bit done but nothing advanced enough to inspire me to write. Gotta get back into the swing of things...

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Setting Up Shop
Cheers,

Q

roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

In preparation for moving the engines into position, I had to clean up the wiring and organize it a bit. It's nice not having dust falling in my eyes every time I touch a wire!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Organizing the Electrical System

Cheers,
Q

teacherman
Gold Member

Post by teacherman »

This is one impressive project! Hope you have a large enough body of water nearby. I had a vision of you mounting a shop smith permanently in one of the rooms on the boat, designating it the ship's "shop smith shipshape ship shop."
Thanks you for posting pictures of your progress!
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Thanks, teacherman!

I actually considered putting the Shopsmith on the aft deck just to have all of the equipment onboard. But the thought of lifting that beast over my brand new paint job makes me cringe...I don't mind shlepping lumber up the ladder. Plus, it keeps a lot of dust off the boat. That 12" disk sander really makes dirt!

Cheers,
Q
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

At long last, the prop shafts are in! Couldn't have done it without my Shopsmith 12" disc sander to resize the phenolic cutlass bearings!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Installing the propeller shafts

Cheers,
Q

beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Did ya install that shaft yourself or did ya have help? It looks to be very heavy.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

HMMMMM! 1 3/4" SS shafting.

Wonder where that could be used on a SS?:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

Wonder why I didn't catch that one.

JPG, you'll pay DEARLY, when it comes time to go vertical with your drill-press, though. Like my cast iron head(stock) isn't dense enough.:D

steve
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

beeg wrote:Did ya install that shaft yourself or did ya have help? It looks to be very heavy.
It was very heavy! I hired a couple of yard guys to help install them. Best money I've spent in a while!

I've just about got all of my ducks in a row for the big engine install, but none of that preparation stuff is worth writing about on its own. I've had to think about installing chrome pieces, which requires a special tool to do it right (on a metal boat, anyway). Even though you might think chrome is a purely cosmetic thing you do at the end of the job, keeping out rain water will hopefully become very important later this year. Chrome and stainless parts fill many holes on the topsides of this boat.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Classic Chrome Bits & Pieces

Cheers,
Q