Using a Shop Smith Mark V on a Chris Craft Roamer refit

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

It's been a while, but I'm slowly getting back to where I was before the theft. I'm still not too enthused about writing articles, because I can't get anything done because every time I try I find that I need a particular tool that was stolen.

Anyway, here's the latest update. Hopefully, I'll be back into the swing of things soon. 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Alarmed

Cheers,
Q
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Oh, and I've been wondering--does anybody know a source for large shaper blades? I need to make some corner pieces that have a 1-1/2" radius, but I can't find anything remotely near that size on the shopsmith site. I can knock off most of the wood with a couple passes down the table saw, so the final milling operation shouldn't be too strenuous for the machine.

Thoughts?
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

GREAT ya got an alarm system now, since ya have to buy all NEW tools.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
beatnik
Gold Member

Post by beatnik »

Thieves forced me out of my last house, was afraid to leave and worried anytime I wasn't there. Boy I wish it was a perfect world.

Anyway, nice project ! Have you looked at insert tools ?

http://www.amazon.com/CMT-692-078-19-4- ... B000P4NP9O

A local shop can get you something, In use these guys here.

http://www.drsawtool.com/
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Thanks, beatnik. I'll look into those cutters/moulding heads.

I won't be splashing the boat this year, but the swim platform is one of the bigger exterior items that still needs to be installed. The timing was right, so I fixed some bad patches and epoxy coated the whole thing using West System resin with their UV resistant 207 Special Clear hardener. After all of the BS since May, it was nice to start a project and see some real progress.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: The Swim Platform

Cheers,
Q

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

roamer46 wrote:Oh, and I've been wondering--does anybody know a source for large shaper blades? I need to make some corner pieces that have a 1-1/2" radius, but I can't find anything remotely near that size on the shopsmith site. I can knock off most of the wood with a couple passes down the table saw, so the final milling operation shouldn't be too strenuous for the machine.

Thoughts?
Are the corner pieces configured such that you could turn the radius using the lathe function? In other words, could they be made from a 3" cylindrical piece?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Draw knife/Spoke shaver!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

roamer46 wrote:Thanks, beatnik. I'll look into those cutters/moulding heads.

I won't be splashing the boat this year, but the swim platform is one of the bigger exterior items that still needs to be installed. The timing was right, so I fixed some bad patches and epoxy coated the whole thing using West System resin with their UV resistant 207 Special Clear hardener. After all of the BS since May, it was nice to start a project and see some real progress.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: The Swim Platform

Cheers,
Q

Worked in a marina for many years in another life. We usually oiled those teak swim plaftorms. If you did not put any non skid on the platform, it may be 'slippery when wet'. ;)
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:Are the corner pieces configured such that you could turn the radius using the lathe function? In other words, could they be made from a 3" cylindrical piece?
Sorry for the delay responding. I've been super busy.
These corner pieces are 7' long, so unfortunately they won't fit on my ShopSmith.

The project hasn't stopped, but I haven't been faithfully blogging as I did before.

Over the summer, I got my hydraulic steering installed. This article covers the first part of that effort.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Hydraulic Steering

Cheers,
Q

idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

Hey Roamer,

I was wondering about this project just last week and had feared that you needed still more time to rebuild your arsenal.

It’s great to see you back at the helm and moving forward.

Cheers! :)