Re: Heads Up - Bargain 'available'

Post by JPG »

Location, Location, Location :( :( :(

Very early 10E with speed changer.

I only saw one er????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

I wish I had more space and time, I would try to get them. I’m still trying to figure out how to get my car back into my garage after getting the two I now have. They are in Riverside, CA, which is two hours north of me in San Diego. It almost looks like there are four in the photos. In the photo showing the belts and speed changer, two look to be standing on end. In the last two photos, I see another one behind the 10ER. Still being new to this, I t’s hard for me to determine their model type without seeing the name plate.
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

edma194 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:18 pm
edma194 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:44 am
lew wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:02 am Not much detail, but for $125..
https://providence.craigslist.org/tls/d ... 34673.html
I missed an alert on that one because he spelled it as two words Shop Smith. If he still has it and the motor works I'll try to pick it up today. It's half way across the state but I think I can manage the trip.
He still has it. His power is out, he's way down in southern Rhode Island and they got hit by the storm. We got lucky way up here in the northern country. As soon as he has power back I'll go down and take a look.
Got the machine and an old Craftsman horizontal bandsaw for $100. Good enough deal for me. The Shopsmith is old but doesn't show signs of heavy use. Needs a good cleaning. It will just be spare parts though.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

edma194 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:28 pm . . .
It will just be spare parts though.
Uh Huh. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Here is a bargain, a Model 500 that got a headstock rebuild in 2016 for $200: https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/tls/d ... 84829.html

In contrast, here's a similar machine, with fewer extras shown, for $1,500: https://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/tls/ ... 75850.html

A lot of Shopsmiths have popped up on Craig's List lately. However, most of them seem to be in the laughably overpriced category like that second one.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I see the same thing happening here on the West Coast, Ed. Some reasonable priced while others must think theirs is made of gold. At times I have seen buying a new Shopsmith and related extras less expensive than buying the used one for sale on craigslist. Just because the 1981 gray Mark V is over 20 years newer than the Greenie Mark 5 doesn't make it seven and a half times more valuable in my opinion.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

chapmanruss wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:09 pm I see the same thing happening here on the West Coast, Ed. Some reasonable priced while others must think theirs is made of gold. At times I have seen buying a new Shopsmith and related extras less expensive than buying the used one for sale on craigslist. Just because the 1981 gray Mark V is over 20 years newer than the Greenie Mark 5 doesn't make it seven and a half times more valuable in my opinion.
Is there any reason why I could not build up a <ark 5 casting with current version parts? Is everything compatible?

If I had done that, what would I have? A Mark xxx ??

My Shorty was built from an older headstock using mostly new parts.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

We are kinda getting away from bargains here but your questions and their answers may be helpful to buyers looking to buy Shopsmith tools.

Dusty, you asked,
Is there any reason why I could not build up a <ark 5 casting with current version parts? Is everything compatible?
Over the years changes for the Mark 5/V have been made backwards compatible so you can have a Mark 5 "A" Headstock from 1954 or 55 with current parts in it. Some can be changed individually while others as assemblies. You can replace the quill return spring with the current one going back to even the first Model 10E's. One change may necessitate another such as changing from a Gilmer Drive to the Poly V Drive also requires changing the Quill Assembly. Upgrades can be made to the Mark 5/V such as the Table System or Power Pro DVR Motor.

Dusty you also asked,
If I had done that, what would I have? A Mark xxx ??
If you only make changes to the headstock it would still be the same Mark 5/V model as all Mark 5/V Model's use the same headstock. If you change a Mark 5 or V with the original table system to one of the larger Table Systems of the 505, 510, 520 or Mark 7 what would it be called? I have a Mark V 520 that has been completely upgraded to a Mark 7 which is what I commonly call it even though the serial number (date code) on the headstock is 09-11-01 and the Mark 7 came out in 2010. You can see that in the list under my name below. That headstock is one I put together with the parts that came with the Power Pro motor upgrade and purchased parts including a "C" headstock shell. I kept the original headstock as a spare/backup. The Mark V 520 listed below was originally a 2006 Mark V 505 in which tables have been upgraded. For the Mark V it is the difference in the Table System that makes it what model it is but it is helpful to know it's history. A lot of information about that can be found at the link below.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24963
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

dusty wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:20 pm Is there any reason why I could not build up a <ark 5 casting with current version parts? Is everything compatible?
One simple but pricey step is to upgrade a Greenie headstock to a PowerPro. The upgrade kit comes with a new quill and everything else you need. I drilled and tapped a hole in the casing for a retaining washer to hold the eccentric bushing instead of relying on the cast in clamp on it's own. Too much pressure on the clamp can crack the casting.
Ed from Rhode Island

edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Here's a pretty good deal if you want the accessories it comes with, especially the Ring Master and Belt Sander. $400 is a fair price although I'd try to talk it down:
https://syracuse.craigslist.org/tls/d/f ... 11908.html

I was going to show a fantastic deal, a noce looking Greenie for $150 and the guy was willing to deliver it, but the listing is gone already. No surprise that was gobbled up.
Ed from Rhode Island