Plexiglass Problem

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

idcook
Gold Member

Plexiglass Problem

Post by idcook »

Working on a project using frosted plexiglass and having a devil of a time trying to drill holes in the stuff without the bit getting stuck at one point or another.

Anybody here know how this can be done?

Thank for your help.
ddub

Post by ddub »

I use plunge router bits, not drill bits. They do make regular drill bits for plastic also. I have heard of running a std bit in reverse but never tried it.

I also drill polycarbonate, not plexiglass. They do have different cutting/drilling characteristics.

http://www.eplastics.com/Plexiglass_Lexan_Plastic_Drill_Bits/DB-375?gclid=CjwKEAjw8O2hBRDKur2lseLW6C8SJAC-r1J3meweMTFTmOOmAsrzL9K_zxp2IxcMnqzOss8xVVzj7RoCPG7w_wcB
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Slow RPMs.

Slow feed.

Well secured.

Keep it all cool and steady.

I think (Sharp)brad point bits work better.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wrdavis
Gold Member

Post by wrdavis »

I use drill bits for plastic. The tip is ground at a much sharper angle.
ddub

Post by ddub »

JPG,
I could see where those would work well.

idcook, how thick of plexiglass are you drilling?
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

ddub wrote:JPG,
I could see where those would work well.

idcook, how thick of plexiglass are you drilling?
Sorry folks; I found myself asleep before checking here. Thanks for the answers and info supplied so far.

ddub, I was hoping I hadn't failed to include the thickness; alas!

They're a tad shy of one inch thick.

I found a bunch of the stuff at a local junkyard. Been buying slabs, roughly 25" x 35", at five bucks each for the past few months. I'll likely wind up buying all he has.

He called it plexiglass so I say the same whenever he and I do a deal. However, the stuff cuts pretty easily on a tablesaw. Producing consistent, snowy chips but begins to melt after two minutes or so. It doesn't stick to the blade but builds up behind it.

It also drills pretty easily, but when I stop it immediately cools and hardends onto the bit.

I'll run some tests for speed before drilling the final pieces.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

idcook wrote:Sorry folks] it immediately cools and hardends onto the bit.[/color]

I'll run some tests for speed before drilling the final pieces.

SLOW it down!!!!!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

JPG wrote:SLOW it down!!!!!!!!
Got it chief: Slooooooooowwwwww.

Will do. :)
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

Thanks again all.

JPG – slow going was definitely the shot. A cordless hand drill produced a nice clean opening.