Woodgears Doesn't Recommend Shopsmith

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Woodgears Doesn't Recommend Shopsmith

Post by JPG »

You would still have to pick up that 500 lb workpiece and position it on the CNC 'machine'. :D Only once though if positioned correctly. :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

Ed in Tampa wrote:If I wanted everything to be done by the machine I would buy a CNC machine, program in what I want made and stand back and watch.
Fact is that there is a place for all types of tools. I have a hammer and some nice vintage Stanley planes. I have a PowerPro 520, the Shopsmith belt sander, and a stand-alone Shopsmith planer. I also have a 24x36 CNC. Each tool has its place. In fact, I used all of the above when making these Sleepwalker beer tap handles:

(I would have also used my SS bandsaw if the bearings had not been backordered.....)

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

paulrussell wrote:
Ed in Tampa wrote:If I wanted everything to be done by the machine I would buy a CNC machine, program in what I want made and stand back and watch.
Fact is that there is a place for all types of tools. I have a hammer and some nice vintage Stanley planes. I have a PowerPro 520, the Shopsmith belt sander, and a stand-alone Shopsmith planer. I also have a 24x36 CNC. Each tool has its place. In fact, I used all of the above when making these Sleepwalker beer tap handles:
Nice CNC work!
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

JPG wrote:You would still have to pick up that 500 lb workpiece and position it on the CNC 'machine'. :D Only once though if positioned correctly. :rolleyes:

I did that once and my hicky mo shy got wacked up :eek: and I don't do that anymore. ;)
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I never heard of "Woodgears". That is his opinion. All I know is that my decision of having a Shopsmith is the best option for me. I will never be on the same plane as many of you or any of the other more famous woodworkers out there but my Shopsmith works for me and that is all that matters. Now I am going to go turn the heat up in my workshop so I can go have some fun tomorrow.
BPR
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

"Lastly, Ed, you've really jumped the shark with your latest examples. True, you can't safely put a 500 pound project on a Shopsmith."

Depends on the ShopSmith! I've got NO PROBLEM putting 500 pound stuff on my Model 10.

Some ShopSmiths can handle. Some can't!

(Although, my Model 10 is a stone beotch {sorry guys} to lift into drill-press mode!)

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

paulrussell wrote:

(I would have also used my SS bandsaw if the bearings had not been backordered.....)

Paul, PLEASE invite me to this tavern!

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

skou wrote:
paulrussell wrote:

Paul, PLEASE invite me to this tavern!

steve
We got a local pub with 32 different beers on tap. :cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

Gene Howe wrote:Some folks don't care for the Shopsmith.
Doesn't bother me.
I'm happy with mine.
Bingo!

That said ...

During my first year in High school I had a teacher who, on the first day of class, stated: "A bad carpenter always blames his tools."

As this was a graphic design class the comment didn't seem wholly appropriate at the time, but his point was well understood. Some classmates had the Creme de la Creme pens, brushes and inks; others had lesser brands. Yet all were extremely competent artists. (That's the reason we were admitted to the course).

After providing us a list of all the tools we'd need for the course, and forever after, we were to understand that no excuse for doing less than our bests would be accepted.

Somewhere out here is a kid with a pen knife that he can use to build a cabin. A ShopSmith, in his hands, might sit and rust. He prefers the knife and does good work.

That'll do for me.