Power Scooter advice

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cincinnati
Platinum Member

Power Scooter advice

Post by cincinnati »

Starting to look for a power scooter for my mother and, knowing nothing about them, I need some advice.

Looking for something for her to use when we go out shopping at places that do not provide a motorized cart, Church festivals etc.....
Looking for something that can be easy to unload from a car. I will always be the one to unload and set up, not her.
Just as a starting point at what has me interested (and her) Price, size, easy to transport etc...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GPGKN4G/...=IKJ1IELNI4L36
About the only thing of concern for me is this model has solid hard wheels. wondering how it would do in a patch of gravel in a parking lot. Reviews say rubber tires are not available.

Can anyone recommend a type of scooter, brand name, any features I may want to look into ?

Thanks.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Power Scooter advice

Post by JPG »

cincinnati wrote: . . . Reviews say rubber tires are not available.

. . .

Thanks.
The 'rubber' tires are actually foam filled since a punctured tire(flat) would leave the occupant 'stranded'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
lv2wdwrk
Gold Member

Post by lv2wdwrk »

I have a GOGO ELITE TRAVELER PLUS (the 4 wheel model) with the hard rubber tires. Have had it for almost five years and it has taken me anywhere I have wanted to go. It will break down into 4 parts for transportation (no tools required). If your mother is on medicare, she might get them to help pay for one if recommended by her doctor. I did.
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

Old post from last year but wanted to update if anyone is interested.

Purchased the scooter in my link above about a year ago. Best money ever spent. My Mother just loves it. she can now go to the mall and ride all around and shop. Last fall took her to the Flea Market for the first time in years. We are often asked about it when out because others see how compact and easy it is to unload from the car.
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

First, I am sorry I missed this thread as I could have posed questions that you should ask for the user.

Second, I will share what I have learned over the past 20 years. My wife has MS and is not able to walk.

Where do you have to go and where do you like to go will help with the decision of width of tires. If always on a hard solid surface, a narrow tire will do. If you plan to be out doors, you need the wider tire that is foam filled. The wider tire will negotiate better in gravel, roots and uneven ground.

Can the patient sit up by themselves? If not, you may adapt one seat belt.

Does the patient need a head rest? Another option available only on some models.

Scooters are great for those who have balance and can negotiate the turns. Power chairs with joy stick control may be necessary for other. In either case, all you access to stores, restrooms, dining and other facilities need ramps and doors that are minimally 30". Some scooters and power chairs will take the full 30 inches. The ideal ramp elevation is 12" run for each 1" elevation. For a step 6 inches high, you need a run of 6 feet.

Medicare will, upon a prescription from a doctor, provide up to 80% of the cost and will repair every 5 years. If the doctor will help the patient in the interval, you can also get necessary (medically needed) attachments such as an attendant control.

Since we are all headed in that direction, I thought this may give a basic understanding of what to look for and what to negotiate for. Please, for safety sake, do not drive the scooter/power chair in the street. Yes, it is more comfortable than the seams in the sidewalk, but these devices and passengers are not very safe in the street. Too many phones in the hands of drivers.

I am thankful that you have this devise. There is one that break down and folds to fit in the trunk. I can't find it right now. But, this link will provide information to know about some choices. These are not the only ones available, but gives some overview. http://www.pridemobility.com/

If you have specific questions, please PM me. I'm not an expert, just experienced with 20 years of helping my wife.

Steve, Pensacola, FL