Work Sharp

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Work Sharp

Post by tomsalwasser »

Greetings fellow sawdust makers,

I was walking around Fleet Farm last night and saw the Work Sharp knife and tool sharpener for the first time. The tool seems well liked on Amazon. Anybody own one? It's basically a and held strip sander. Thanks for your thoughts!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IT5F14

Best,
Tom
Bruce
Platinum Member

Re: Work Sharp

Post by Bruce »

The Work Sharp 3000 is more of a woodworkers sharpener in that it will do your chisels and plane blades using a circular piece of plate glass that you attach sanding disks to. There is also an attachment to hold your tool at a predetermined angle for sharpening. I have not personally used either tool, but I'm sure someone on the forum will comment that has used them.
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

I have the Work Sharp knife sharpener and like it. It does what they say and does it well. I only sharpen kitchen knives with it.
sswoodworker48
Gold Member

Post by sswoodworker48 »

I also have the Work Sharp knife sharpener. It works very well. I use an old 600 grit belt with compound to hone after the progressing through regular belts. Use it on all sorts of knives. Got it at Woodworking Show for special price/deal.
friscomike
Gold Member

Post by friscomike »

I love the Worksharp 3000. I easily sharpen chisels, plane blades, etc with it. I prefer it to any of the other methods of sharpening woodworking tools. I highly recommend it if you work with hand tools.

have fun,
Mike C
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

bettyt44720 wrote:I have the Work Sharp knife sharpener and like it. It does what they say and does it well. I only sharpen kitchen knives with it.
sswoodworker48 wrote:I also have the Work Sharp knife sharpener. It works very well. I use an old 600 grit belt with compound to hone after the progressing through regular belts. Use it on all sorts of knives. Got it at Woodworking Show for special price/deal.
Thanks bettyt and sswoodworker. A lot of people seem to like this tool and it's good to know you do too.

Best,
Tom
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

friscomike wrote:I love the Worksharp 3000. I easily sharpen chisels, plane blades, etc with it. I prefer it to any of the other methods of sharpening woodworking tools. I highly recommend it if you work with hand tools. have fun, Mike C
Bruce wrote:The Work Sharp 3000 is more of a woodworkers sharpener in that it will do your chisels and plane blades using a circular piece of plate glass that you attach sanding disks to. There is also an attachment to hold your tool at a predetermined angle for sharpening. I have not personally used either tool, but I'm sure someone on the forum will comment that has used them.
Thanks Bruce and Mike. I did not know about the 3000 but I think I need to look into it.

Best,
Tom
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

tomsalwasser wrote:Greetings fellow sawdust makers,

I was walking around Fleet Farm last night and saw the Work Sharp knife and tool sharpener for the first time. The tool seems well liked on Amazon. Anybody own one? It's basically a and held strip sander. Thanks for your thoughts!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IT5F14

Best,
Tom

I have the knife & tool sharpener as well as a 3000. Like them both. The K&TS does give a slight convex edge which some purists criticize, but I haven't noticed any problem with that. Being able to sharpen a dozen or so kitchen knives in a half hour or less is awesome.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

roy_okc wrote:I have the knife & tool sharpener as well as a 3000. Like them both. The K&TS does give a slight convex edge which some purists criticize, but I haven't noticed any problem with that. Being able to sharpen a dozen or so kitchen knives in a half hour or less is awesome.
Thanks Roy. My wife and I spent the weekend with our and daughter and her family. We had a drawer full of dull, cheap knives. I sharpened a few of them with my new K&TS and got out of the way. Over the course of the weekend I got several "hey this knife is a lot sharper" type comments. And these gals are pretty stingy with a compliment. As you say, the tool is not perfect but it's fast and easy and I like it a lot.

One thing I don't like is the cost of the replacement sanding loops. Over a dollar for maybe 5 cents worth of raw material. Anybody make their own or find alternative sanding loops?

Some day when I get a round tuit (round tuits are as elusive as a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow) I would like to make a Shopsmith SPT based on the simple and clever design of the K&TS. I don't think it would be hard to do at all.

Best,
Tom
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange