Pending Private Messages

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cooch366
Gold Member

Pending Private Messages

Post by cooch366 »

Question for everyone:

Does everyone check to see if they have private messages on a regular basis?

I've sent some, and they remain in my outbox and not read, so I'm assuming that the receiver does not see, or know that they are there.

So instead of posting in a thread "check your PM" in scattered posts as we all have seen, does it make since to have a separate / one topic for telling members that they have a private message that needs to be read?

Just a thought.....
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Pending Private Messages

Post by dusty »

I am a BAD RESPONDENT. I offer nothing to help you resolve this issue and yes, the observation is real.

I check to see if I have unread PMs every time I login. I may not read them right away but I know they are there.

If I don't open PMs on a very regular basis it will be because I either cannot get to or cannot utilize my computer. My recent times in the hospital are prime examples.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Since the forum home page clearly displays the number of private messages unread, I do not understand why another place to look is needed nor more effective.
ScreenHunter_14 Dec. 21 17.50.jpg
ScreenHunter_14 Dec. 21 17.50.jpg (13.72 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
cooch366
Gold Member

Post by cooch366 »

dusty wrote:I am a BAD RESPONDENT. I offer nothing to help you resolve this issue and yes, the observation is real.

I check to see if I have unread PMs every time I login. I may not read them right away but I know they are there.

If I don't open PMs on a very regular basis it will be because I either cannot get to or cannot utilize my computer. My recent times in the hospital are prime examples.
Yes but by you reading them, you won't see them in your outbox, and the sender will know that at least you read it.

I assume that most of us read unread threads, if a new "sent you a pm" thread existed, folks would see it as an unread thread, and maybe have a Homer Simpson moment... :)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

cooch366 wrote:
dusty wrote:I am a BAD RESPONDENT. I offer nothing to help you resolve this issue and yes, the observation is real.

Yes but by you reading them, you won't see them in your outbox, and the sender will know that at least you read it.

I assume that most of us read unread threads, if a new "sent you a pm" thread existed, folks would see it as an unread thread, and maybe have a Homer Simpson moment... :)

????????? "you" "you" "your" Replace with "you" "the sender" "their"

A message remains in the senders outbox until read by the recipient.

If it is no longer there, the sender knows it was read.

That being so, the sender knows when a message has not been read and that is when the "read yer pm' messages occur. Consider that a wake up call. If there were another place, the sender would not have a clue as to whether it was read by the recipient. i.e. I see no advantage to another place.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
cooch366
Gold Member

Post by cooch366 »

JPG wrote:
cooch366 wrote:

????????? "you" "you" "your" Replace with "you" "the sender" "their"

A message remains in the senders outbox until read by the recipient.

If it is no longer there, the sender knows it was read.

That being so, the sender knows when a message has not been read and that is when the "read yer pm' messages occur. Consider that a wake up call. If there were another place, the sender would not have a clue as to whether it was read by the recipient. i.e. I see no advantage to another place.

That assumes the "receiver" is AWARE that they/receiver knows they/receiver have a PM. Which is why in my original question I asked if members check on a regular basis. Because I've seen numerous threads where senders ask receivers to check their PM's
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

cooch366 wrote:
That assumes the "receiver" is AWARE that they/receiver knows they/receiver have a PM. Which is why in my original question I asked if members check on a regular basis. Because I've seen numerous threads where senders ask receivers to check their PM's
I kind of have to agree with JPG. LOL Whenever you are logged in, you can see whether you have an unread PM or not. It is on every page at the top. You have a "notifications" flag and a "private message" flag where you can see either a 0 (no notifications or PM's) or the number of notifications/PM's. Pretty effective. I know I wouldn't check a thread for PM's, I always just look at the top of the page each time I log in ...

JMHO :D
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

rjent wrote:
cooch366 wrote:
I kind of have to agree with JPG. LOL Whenever you are logged in, you can see whether you have an unread PM or not. It is on every page at the top. You have a "notifications" flag and a "private message" flag where you can see either a 0 (no notifications or PM's) or the number of notifications/PM's. Pretty effective. I know I wouldn't check a thread for PM's, I always just look at the top of the page each time I log in ...

This is a non issue. One just has to learn how to use the forum.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
cooch366
Gold Member

Post by cooch366 »

rjent wrote:
Whenever you are logged in, you can see whether you have an unread PM or not. It is on every page at the top. You have a "notifications" flag and a "private message" flag where you can see either a 0 (no notifications or PM's) or the number of notifications/PM's.

I wasn't sure if that was the case for all "views" available. I've got my answer. Thanks :)

And now to our regularly scheduled program... :D
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

I believe there's a setting in the user control panel where you can have an email sent to you when you have a PM. Nothing else is needed IMO.