Windows 10 "update" kills sd drive???

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Bruce
Platinum Member

Re: Windows 10 "update" kills sd drive???

Post by Bruce »

Seems to me they should be paying you to use it. :D
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I am not seeing this issue on either of my windows10 machines. I'm on the latest insider build 11082. It has a couple of issues like not being able to see a progress window when coping or moving files but not the card reading issue. I don't use the card reader to much, mostly for the game camera card as the camera I plug in to the usb port. But it has not ever stopped working.

Perhaps you need to supplement your experience with something like the I/O Bit Driver Booster 3. I buy very little software so I use the free edition but it takes care of the old driver issues.

http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

I run several of their products and even purchase the Advance Care (now at version 9). I think of this as a must have so even the free version of this is a big help keeping your system running smoothly.

I don't depend on Microsoft to do everything. BTW my experience with 10 has been very very good and yes I like it.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Aside from my lack of being able to print multiple copies of documents, and my video editing software not working right (3rd party), it has been good for me as well. Just have to learn where a few things have been moved to. Not very much different in feel from Windows 7. Has not crashed once (yet). :)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:
ERLover wrote:As I have stated here in the past, I am a better Wood Worker then computer jock, but my lap top has 10 on it and it drives me nuts compared to 7 on my PC.
Free nothing is free, rumor has it they intend to charge an annual fee for 10, not just a one time buy like in the past.
Now where did you hear that. References please.
Did you read the 'free upgrade offer' back when you accepted it? The offer was for a 'free trial' IIRC.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

If you guy are hung up on the "free" status please feel free to buy a copy. The version I use will run you $199.99 from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msu ... 22191629:s

Feel free to spend the $$ or make do with the very same product as a free upgrade (if qualified), the choice is yours.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

SURPRISE!!!

Fired the computer up using Ubuntu(Linux) and it could read the SD drive.

Restarted using W10 and SD is now back to normal! :) :) :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

So the problem was most likely with the previous SD driver ?????? and the driver was ?????
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:So the problem was most likely with the previous SD driver ?????? and the driver was ?????
Not saying I understand even a smidgen of this, but I think it was 'deeper' than a driver problem. Nothing recognized the SD 'port's' existance under W10. Not W10, not Speccy, not Belarc Advisor.

I retrospect, I just remembered I also initiated booting differently for Windows*(I do not comprehend the different options I acquired after adding Linux as alternative boot). I have several options and do not have a clue as to what differentiates them. The options refer to W7 but actually load W10.

I perhaps may be invoking a less than desirable option.

* I aborted that boot part way when it mentioned W10. My reason for the different 'option' was to test doing something entirely different.

Accidental fix, but I will take it! :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

JPG wrote:
dusty wrote: Not saying I understand even a smidgen of this, but I think it was 'deeper' than a driver problem. Nothing recognized the SD 'port's' existance under W10. Not W10, not Speccy, not Belarc Advisor.

I have no experience with Speccy, but I found Belarc Advisor basically useless for identifying hardware and drivers. If Windows fails to identify hardware and put in a specific driver, Belarc finds nothing. Belarc apparently is only capable of reading the driver information that Windows installed, and if Windows fails, Belarc fails too.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

LINUX is starting to look better every week.

On my brief use of it, I really really noticed the speedy response.

I have it on a usb dongle and it also boots up faster.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝