Lots of loose allen wrenches

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sawwood
Gold Member

Re: Lots of loose allen wrenches

Post by sawwood »

One of my part-time jobs is assembling RTA furniture. I was doing mostly Office Max until Office Depot bought Office Max and they now use Office Depot's assemblers. I now just do Staples and Wayfair.

People have flat blade and philips screwdrivers, but when the manufacture decides to use a screw with a hex head, ie all chairs, ect. they provide the customer with an allen wrench figuring they probably don't have one. Even leaving most of the allen wrenches with customers, I noticed my tool bag was starting to get a bit heavy. Upon finally emptying my tool bag, I now have a rather LARGE collection!!! :D :D
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

As for organizing them, I have not done it yet myself, but a magnetic strip would keep them all in line at least.
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

I've taken a few of the extras which were "L" shaped, cut off the shorter leg to use in my powered screw driver with the adjustable chuck. Had a couple shelving units that used hex screws for assembly and the powered driver made assembly very nice.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I think what I ask might have be misconstrued to people thinking that was my only source of allen wrenches and had to pick through the pile when I needed one. Well that is not the case. I have an abundance of allen wrenches. I grabbed a few and put them out for a picture. I think I could add about half again that many if I took them all out and collected ones I have stored with other tools etc. So no I'm not going out to buy more.

I think I will go through the batch and find ones to fill up my sets and keep a couple of extras and part with the rest. As has been mentioned companies often pack a wrench in with things that need them and they add up that way as well as a possible worm hole for them ending up in my garage.
IMG_0372sc.jpg
IMG_0372sc.jpg (130.09 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
For those who are not familiar with the "ball-end" style this is a picture of one. They, as has been mentioned have advantages and disadvantages so you use them when and where the advantages are and don't in the other situations.
IMG_0373sc.jpg
IMG_0373sc.jpg (86.63 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

reible wrote:I think what I ask might have be misconstrued to people thinking that was my only source of allen wrenches and had to pick through the pile when I needed one. Well that is not the case. I have an abundance of allen wrenches. I grabbed a few and put them out for a picture. I think I could add about half again that many if I took them all out and collected ones I have stored with other tools etc. So no I'm not going out to buy more.

I think I will go through the batch and find ones to fill up my sets and keep a couple of extras and part with the rest. As has been mentioned companies often pack a wrench in with things that need them and they add up that way as well as a possible worm hole for them ending up in my garage.
IMG_0372sc.jpg
For those who are not familiar with the "ball-end" style this is a picture of one. They, as has been mentioned have advantages and disadvantages so you use them when and where the advantages are and don't in the other situations.
IMG_0373sc.jpg
Ed
LOL!!! You either have great place to store stuff or you work around clutter. No single human being could ever use all those wrenches! LOL!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ed in Tampa wrote:
reible wrote:I think what I ask might have be misconstrued to people thinking that was my only source of allen wrenches and had to pick through the pile when I needed one. Well that is not the case. I have an abundance of allen wrenches. I grabbed a few and put them out for a picture. I think I could add about half again that many if I took them all out and collected ones I have stored with other tools etc. So no I'm not going out to buy more.

IMG_0372sc.jpg
IMG_0373sc.jpg
Ed
LOL!!! You either have great place to store stuff or you work around clutter. No single human being could ever use all those wrenches! LOL!
Not at once anyway.

Now you know why Ed often posts storage solutions. :D :cool:

His garage/shop is not large either.

He does not have 'clutter'. Just a lot of stuff in a small space.

Now my shop on the other hand :rolleyes: .
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (259.8 KiB) Viewed 1754 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (180.86 KiB) Viewed 1754 times
Not sure what this type of wrench is called but I have a ton of them from my computer days.
Anyone know what hey are called
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Ed in Tampa wrote:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Not sure what this type of wrench is called but I have a ton of them from my computer days.
Anyone know what hey are called
I guessed "spline wrench", and got a Google hit for a Snap-on L-Shaped Multi-Spline Wrench Set. If you "view larger" their photo, it appears to be the same kind of wrench.

I've never seen one before.
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

close
Template:Screw drives
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Part of a series on
Screw drive types
Screw Head - Slotted.svg Slot
Screw Head - Phillips.svg Phillips
PH
Screw Head - Pozidrive.svg Pozidriv (SupaDriv)
PZ
Screw Head - Square External.svg Square
Screw Head - Robertson.svg Robertson
Screw Head - Hex External.svg Hex
Screw Head - 12-Point External.png
12-point flange
Screw Head - Hex Socket.svg Hex socket (Allen)
Pin-in-hex socket screw drive 003.png Security hex socket (pin-in-hex-socket)
Screw Head - Torx.svg Torx
T & TX
Screw Head - Torx Tamperproof.svg Security Torx
TR
Screw Head - Tri-wing.svg Tri-Wing
Screw Head - Torq-set.svg Torq-set
Screw Head - Spanner.svg Spanner head
(Snake-eye)
TH
Screw Head - Clutch Type G.svg Clutch
A & G
Screw Head - One-way Clutch.svg One-way
Double-square screw drive 001.png Double-square
Screw Head - Triple Square.svg Triple square
XZN
Screw Head - Polydrive.svg Polydrive
Screw Head - Spline.svg Spline drive
Screw Head - Double Hex.svg Double hex
Screw Head - Bristol.svg Bristol
Pentalobular.svg Pentalobe
This
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

The pics did not paste :confused:
So go here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Screw_drives
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)