Mark V Greenie with 510 Upgrade
Mark V Shorty
Bandsaw, Pro Planer, Jointer, Belt Sander, Jigsaw
P.M. Tuscarawas Lodge #59 F.A.& M. Dover, Ohio
dynabase
Gold Member

Re: Are you a powerpro owner?

Post by dynabase »

Not yet. The only thing that is stopping me is money. I got retired a year earlier than I had planned.
rudy49
Silver Member

Post by rudy49 »

Owned mine since 2014 and I love it. It was my introduction Shopsmith and I have never regretted it.

How many does that make now?
Emil
Bronze Member

Post by Emil »

I bought a 510 in '88 and upgraded to the 520. I fixed my broken 520 headstock and keep it for a spare. Bought a new power pro headstock in April or so. The quill feed mechanism/depth collar was not installed correctly. ShopSmith walked me through fixing it, then gave me some free dust collector bags and a 16 foot clear dust collector hose for my trouble (since I did save them $300 in shipping charges as it was under warranty).

The electronic speed control fell off last week as I nudged it to move the headstock a couple inches... The 2 "wood screws" that holds it on only grab about 3 threads. I have to take out the motor in order to get to the screws, which I will be replacing with longer ones. A bad design... They should have found a way to use threaded inserts and real machine screws. Overall I like it though.
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Yep, I did my DIY PowerPro 10 years ago this Labor Day weekend. Still going strong and precise!

Chris
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Pushing against a plastic(I assume) part to move several pounds worth of headstock?

What is wrong with this vision??
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Been a PowerPro owner for years, just recently became a user. Haven't done much with it yet but I love being able to punch in the exact speed or use the chart. I am worried by all the reports of failures. Sounds mostly like the electronics and not the motor, but it's still a hefty repair bill. I wonder what the future of these is, the other machines continue to survive because they are nearly indestructible. I'd be very hesitant to buy a used PowerPro machine at a reasonable price.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Emil wrote:...The electronic speed control fell off last week as I nudged it to move the headstock a couple inches... The 2 "wood screws" that holds it on only grab about 3 threads. I have to take out the motor in order to get to the screws, which I will be replacing with longer ones...
Do be careful. Remember that there is a circuit board inside, and a screw that is too long may be worse than too short. (Original should be 8-18 X 1/2", IIUC.) I think they are sheet metal screws into plastic standoffs. I'd consider some strategically placed pads of two-sided tape before going too long or too large on the screws if I felt is was not strong enough. My first step would be to confirm that the screws used were the correct ones.

- David
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I have had the upgrade finished shortly for awhile along with the double tilt. I really like it!!
BPR
JEvans3
Bronze Member

Post by JEvans3 »

I upgraded my '77 500 to a 510, then to a 520, and then finally the PowerPro in 2014 which I did myself. The PowerPro has been wonderful; it draws less current on startup, and the additional power is really useful for sawing hardwoods. I have no regrets with any of my upgrades.

Jim
Northern Virginia