The Continuing Adventures of A Slow Boat to Nowhere

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: The Continuing Adventures of A Slow Boat to Nowhere

Post by RFGuy »

Alan,

Thanks for sharing...beautiful pics. Also interesting to hear about Gaia GPS and Zoleo products. Hopefully your canoe survived the cart on that trail with no damage.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

RFGuy wrote:Alan,

Thanks for sharing...beautiful pics. Also interesting to hear about Gaia GPS and Zoleo products. Hopefully your canoe survived the cart on that trail with no damage.
The canoe has lots of scratches and dings on it from last season and this season. I'm sure I added a few more dents and dings from the cart trail mishaps. I'll be re-varnishing over the winter and will probably find some things that need patching/repair.

The worst damage so far was I actually split out a section of inner gunnel back in June. I was standing, poling along in some flat, shallow water, when I lost my balance and fell back into the seat hard. But I repaired it and you can hardly tell it was ever damaged. Maybe I'll post on those repairs (thought i had but now I'm not sure). [Edit: Yes, I did post that work at the end of the build thread.]

The scratches and dings bothered me at first but not any more. I built it to use it and it's a well-used canoe at this point. Still beautiful to my eyes.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

A very short video of a Slow Boat to Nowhere on the Cacapon River, WV. The Slow Boat was moving a little faster than usual. The video just shows some typical Class I rapids, but there were three sets of Class II rapids, consisting of river-wide ledge drops about 3' in height. I was with 10 other paddlers from my local paddling club -- all in specialized whitewater kayaks or specialized solo whitewater canoes made out of virtually indestructible Royalex. Needless to say, they all thought I was crazy paddling around in a home-built tandem cedar strip canoe. But the Slow Boat took it all in stride. Or is that all in glide?

[youtube]https://youtu.be/iAYrHYGjchI[/youtube]
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!