The Continuing Adventures of A Slow Boat to Nowhere

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: The Continuing Adventures of A Slow Boat to Nowhere

Post by JPG »

RFGuy wrote:
algale wrote:It's canoeing season again and I'm working on some new skills, as seen in this video.

https://youtu.be/lxszJwNlLCQ
Nicely done!

Hope there wasn't any "B" roll of you falling in the creek... ;)
+1
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

This was the view from A Slow Boat to Nowhere today. As I was sneaking up on this Great Blue Heron, it was sneaking up on sunfish.

https://youtu.be/Qb-YavDwY7c
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

algale wrote:This was the view from A Slow Boat to Nowhere today. As I was sneaking up on this Great Blue Heron, it was sneaking up on sunfish.

https://youtu.be/Qb-YavDwY7c
Absolutely beautiful.

It reminds me of a time when I was Moose hunting in Quebec. I was by my self and had portaged the canoe over a beaver dam. I got up in the pond and saw a beaver. I was between him and his lodge. I just sat there in the canoe. He would swim up close (6 or 8 feet)and dive and come up on the same side of the canoe farther out. This went on for about 30 minutes. Finally he came up dove down and came up on the other side of the canoe and swam to his lodge. Priceless!

The thing about your wood canoe and the cedar strip and canvas canoe I was in is that they are QUIET. Even if you bump the canoe with the paddle it is wood on wood, a natural sound and very subdued. Aluminum or fiberglass canoes ring like a bell in the quiet of the forest.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I’ve snuck up on Great Blue’s several times — I leave the motorboat anchored and swim to to the shore. I can breaststroke very silently, but they’ve never let me get that close.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

jsburger wrote:
Absolutely beautiful.

It reminds me of a time when I was Moose hunting in Quebec. I was by my self and had portaged the canoe over a beaver dam. I got up in the pond and saw a beaver. I was between him and his lodge. I just sat there in the canoe. He would swim up close (6 or 8 feet)and dive and come up on the same side of the canoe farther out. This went on for about 30 minutes. Finally he came up dove down and came up on the other side of the canoe and swam to his lodge. Priceless!

The thing about your wood canoe and the cedar strip and canvas canoe I was in is that they are QUIET. Even if you bump the canoe with the paddle it is wood on wood, a natural sound and very subdued. Aluminum or fiberglass canoes ring like a bell in the quiet of the forest.
What a great experience that must have been to see!
BuckeyeDennis wrote:I’ve snuck up on Great Blue’s several times — I leave the motorboat anchored and swim to to the shore. I can breaststroke very silently, but they’ve never let me get that close.
There must have been a half dozen Great Blues at this little lake today and I snuck up on three of them. But this was the closest. I thought it was getting ready to fly off when it went for the fish!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

We had 2 Sand Hill Cranes behind the house last month. First time I have ever seen them on the property. Those are really big guys.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
wrmnfzy
Platinum Member

Post by wrmnfzy »

This is my back yard and my wildlife photo ( have shared before but saw another today). About a 6 footer.
Attachments
811326A1-8E80-4E8B-AD53-FBC34569A786.jpeg
811326A1-8E80-4E8B-AD53-FBC34569A786.jpeg (123.8 KiB) Viewed 22496 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wrmnfzy wrote:This is my back yard and my wildlife photo ( have shared before but saw another today). About a 6 footer.
Maybe it saw the remax sign and wanted to look things over. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Night paddle on the Pocomoke River on Maryland's eastern shore.
IMG_E1C31B2169F1-1.jpeg
IMG_E1C31B2169F1-1.jpeg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 22362 times
And a couple of videos of the same river much further upstream, passing through a bald cypress swamp.

https://youtu.be/L3TMkVdi0jY

https://youtu.be/j-nXGB5xEE0

rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

algale wrote:Night paddle on the Pocomoke River on Maryland's eastern shore.

IMG_E1C31B2169F1-1.jpeg

And a couple of videos of the same river much further upstream, passing through a bald cypress swamp.

https://youtu.be/L3TMkVdi0jY

https://youtu.be/j-nXGB5xEE0
That is fabulous that you are enjoying your creation so much. Well done.

To this Westerner of blue skies, open country, and fast running water, that spooks the hell out of me LOL. Ever have any snakes drop out of the trees .... :D
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin