The Continuing Adventures of A Slow Boat to Nowhere

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Re: The Continuing Adventures of A Slow Boat to Nowhere

Post by algale »

rjent wrote:
That is fabulous that you are enjoying your creation so much. Well done.

To this Westerner of blue skies, open country, and fast running water, that spooks the hell out of me LOL. Ever have any snakes drop out of the trees .... :D
The snake in a canoe thing (almost sounds like a sequel to Snakes on a Plane) has not happened to me although I have heard of it happening. The only snakes I saw on this trip were the black rat snakes I saw in abundance crossing the roads between farmers' fields during my drive.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

algale wrote:
rjent wrote:
That is fabulous that you are enjoying your creation so much. Well done.

To this Westerner of blue skies, open country, and fast running water, that spooks the hell out of me LOL. Ever have any snakes drop out of the trees .... :D
The snake in a canoe thing (almost sounds like a sequel to Snakes on a Plane) has not happened to me although I have heard of it happening. The only snakes I saw on this trip were the black rat snakes I saw in abundance crossing the roads between farmers' fields during my drive.
That is good to hear. I had a friend who lived in Louisiana, was an avid fisherman like me, and fished the bayous regularly. Had it happen a couple of times. LOL

I have seen rattlesnakes swimming on the surface of our local lake, but at least I could out run it LOL.
Beautiful country, looks very isolated and wild.

Your canoe is gorgeous. :cool:
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Just back from 3 days/2 nights with the Slow Boat to Nowhere in the Adirondacks on Little Tupper Lake!

The canoe, as usual, was great! The new thing on this trip was tent camping with my pup (3 year old Airedale Terrier named Berkeley). He's gone on a few day paddles with me but never overnight or in the tent before. He ended up being very well behaved -- even when a bear tried to come into our camp at 1 AM! Luckily the bear stayed just outside camp and nobody and no one was hurt!

The NYETI cooler performed great too. Although I think I will build a smaller one. It was sized to provision 2 adults for a week with fresh food. My trips are generally solo, or solo with a dog and more like 2-3 days. A smaller cooler would be easier to portage....

A few pics.
IMG_0719.JPG
IMG_0719.JPG (573.48 KiB) Viewed 22188 times
IMG_0720.JPG
IMG_0720.JPG (326.69 KiB) Viewed 22188 times
IMG_0721.JPG
IMG_0721.JPG (280.17 KiB) Viewed 22188 times
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

algale wrote:Just back from 3 days/2 nights with the Slow Boat to Nowhere in the Adirondacks on Little Tupper Lake!

The canoe, as usual, was great! The new thing on this trip was tent camping with my pup (3 year old Airedale Terrier named Berkeley). He's gone on a few day paddles with me but never overnight or in the tent before. He ended up being very well behaved -- even when a bear tried to come into our camp at 1 AM! Luckily the bear stayed just outside camp and nobody and no one was hurt!

The NYETI cooler performed great too. Although I think I will build a smaller one. It was sized to provision 2 adults for a week with fresh food. My trips are generally solo, or solo with a dog and more like 2-3 days. A smaller cooler would be easier to portage....

A few pics.

IMG_0719.JPG
IMG_0720.JPG
IMG_0721.JPG
Man I miss those days!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Al, even beer commercials don’t look THAT good! :cool:

The Swedish Bikini Team excepted. ;)
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:Al, even beer commercials don’t look THAT good! :cool:

The Swedish Bikini Team excepted. ;)
LoL! Weather was perfect! (Could have done without the bear, however).

algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Just back from a 5 day trip along the Penobscot River Corridor in Maine between Lobster Lake and Chesuncook Lake. The Slow Boat performed perfectly and the NYETI cooler did it's job quite well -- we had fresh food for 5 days (although the cool evenings meant it wasn't a huge challenge).

This photo was taken our first night at Ogden North campsite.
IMG_0911.JPG
IMG_0911.JPG (352.13 KiB) Viewed 19395 times
The highlight of this trip was the moose and its calf we surprised as we paddled up Lobster Stream on our way out of the lake. The wind was blowing in our faces so the moose didn't smell us or hear us until we were quite close. Amusingly, while I was filming this, I looked to my left and there was a beaver in the water, not three feet from the canoe, looking at me!
IMG_0912.JPG
IMG_0912.JPG (964.94 KiB) Viewed 19395 times
IMG_0913.JPG
IMG_0913.JPG (820.93 KiB) Viewed 19395 times
The footage in the videos below is shaky in place sbecause I was filming with one hand and paddling with the other to keep the canoe from turning in the wind.

Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

Very nice.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Thanks for sharing
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

algale wrote:Just back from a 5 day trip along the Penobscot River Corridor in Maine between Lobster Lake and Chesuncook Lake. The Slow Boat performed perfectly and the NYETI cooler did it's job quite well -- we had fresh food for 5 days (although the cool evenings meant it wasn't a huge challenge).

This photo was taken our first night at Ogden North campsite.

$matches[2]

The highlight of this trip was the moose and its calf we surprised as we paddled up Lobster Stream on our way out of the lake. The wind was blowing in our faces so the moose didn't smell us or hear us until we were quite close. Amusingly, while I was filming this, I looked to my left and there was a beaver in the water, not three feet from the canoe, looking at me!

$matches[2]

IMG_0913.JPG

The footage in the videos below is shaky in place sbecause I was filming with one hand and paddling with the other to keep the canoe from turning in the wind.

Way cool. Reminds me of my 4 years stationed in Quebec. 4 of the best years in my life.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT