How to Post a Picture

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Shown
Bronze Member
Location: https://mini-militia.com/mini-militia-m ... d-version/

Re: How to Post a Picture

Post by Shown »

garys wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:42 am Why do you want to post from whatsapp or any other app? The simplest way is to just post directly to the Shopsmith site the way it is set up to use.
Hi there I am newbie here and I think may be there are having an issue with directly post there pictures to the shosmith site so may be that's why there are trying to post it via [link deleted]or any other application.
Last edited by Shown on Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Shown wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:01 am
garys wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:42 am Why do you want to post from whatsapp or any other app? The simplest way is to just post directly to the Shopsmith site the way it is set up to use.
Hi there I am newbie here and I think may be there are having an issue with directly post there pictures to the shosmith site so may be that's why there are trying to post it via whatsapp or any other application.

Which is WHY we try to assist in getting pix posted permanently.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
kirito
Bronze Member

Post by kirito »

JPG wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:14 pm
Shown wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:01 am
Hi there I am newbie here and I think may be there are having an issue with directly post there pictures to the shosmith site so may be that's why there are trying to post it via whatsapp or any other application.

Which is WHY we try to assist in getting pix posted permanently.
Thanks for trying and assisting us. i'm glad to see the efforts you put for helping us. also the image of the steps how to post the picture is a huge help. I hope we will get the same support in the future.
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

Using an iPhone for taking and including photos in your posts:

Yes, it’s a bit of a challenge to add photos to our posts, but once you figure it out it will be worth it! Photos make a lot of difference in both getting and giving help. Plus it makes this forum a lot more interesting.

Here are a couple of tips I’ve discovered that allow me to consistently post decent photos. As noted above, there is a limit on the photo file size and the number of photos in each message posted. Keep that in mind as you write your posts, the phoBB app will let you know specifically what is allowed as you are adding the photos.

I’m using an iPhone which takes high resolution photos, and therefore are typically a large file size, plus I haven’t found a way to edit them to easily reduce the resolution/ file size. I don’t know who suggested this previously, but I’ve learned to take the photo(s) I want to post and e-Mail it(them) to myself. As I send the photo the mail app asks me to select a photo file size I want to send, so I choose as large as I can while keeping it below the phpBB limitation. After receiving the e-mail I just sent to myself, I then save the attached photo(s) to my iPhone’s photo collection. This results in duplicate photos in the collection, but the duplicate is a much smaller file size. Even though the size is smaller I have found the image quality to still be very good.

Another important thing to remember is to be sure to turn the iPhone sideways when you take the photo otherwise when you post your photo the phpBB forum will place the photo sideways in your posted message.

If you remember these tricks, and follow the instructions found at the above link you will be able to include excellent photos.

Happy posting!!!
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

If you use a real computer, resizing photos is very easy. I use only Linux, and it comes complete with software for resizing photos. Windows also includes software to do the job. Apple I don't know about.

If you choose a phone or tablet, things get more difficult. Android devices have a resizing app included, but the controls are all in hieroglyphics, so if you speak English or some other known language, it can be a bit of a challenge. If you use an Apple device, things are even worse. You need a third party app as Apple is pretty backward. Once you have a better app, you still have the hieroglyphics problem with their menus. But, Apple has always been a few steps behind the horse.
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

While Apple certainly has its flaws, the phpBB forum software is really the culprit here. It’s still based on 1990s era programming, and that’s why it looks like BBS’s did in the ‘90s. Most forums accept photos and automatically resizes them to “fit”, and they understand the modern metadata to position them correctly. That said, it is a benefit to us to have more control over how our photos are inserted into our posts. But this power over our photos can create hassles.

It’s easy to blame Apple, or Microsoft for that matter, but they have rarely been known to be behind the technology curve. I’m a long time IBM PC Clone/Windows guy, having gotten my first PC in 1987, and have worked on Unix and Linux computers a little, and I can tell you that I hate them all! It does not matter what OS they have, they are still computers, each with their own particular flaws (as well as strengths). When I leave my work computer I never want to go sit at it to do non-work stuff, so I do most of my woodworking reading, research, and forum participation on my phone. It allows me to sit wherever I want, and not feel like I’m at work. It may take a little longer, but when I’m not at work I’m not in a hurry.

Anyway, to do this (photos), it helps to understand the system your working within, and the phpBB is a step back to the ‘90s (which I would kind of prefer). :eek:
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Opinions do vary! I 'like' stuff that merely takes what it is given and does not mess with a bunch on ancillary(sp?) functions. i.e. pix orientation.

WYSIWYG.

I would like it if there was a way to eliminate all the stuff that has nothing ti do with alphanumeric character input from the KEYBOARD.

AND, what mental dwarf decided backSPACE should erase LINE.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Be really careful about anything you do on your iphone, ipad, or anything that uses the Apple cloud. They are scanning your photos and texts. If they see something they don't like, even if they misinterpret it as something they don't like, you might be getting a visit from the authorities.
https://www.npr.org/2021/08/06/10254027 ... se-privacy
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

Spammer who edited in a dangerous link embedded in the quoted comment?

Need an admin to check this one.

* Thanks for deleting that message. :)
Marc Jones

rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Majones1 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:41 am Spammer who edited in a dangerous link embedded in the quoted comment?

Need an admin to check this one.
Looks like it is already gone. :)

The best way to report spam is to click on the button with the exclamation point, upper right corner of the offending post.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,