Shopsmith Shortcut to www.shopsmith.net

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I have previously been able to access this forum by clicking on an icon on my desktop.

Last night, I heard my computer constantly accessing the network. I discovered that Microsoft was doing an automated system update. All seemed to be going well until this morning.

When I clicked on the icon I got an error message: "This file does not have a program associated for the requested action. Create an association in Folder Options".

Can anyone tell me what I am suppose to do at this point or point me to a source of info that will help me create this association.

Fortunately, I can get to the forum the old fachion way - by entering the URL.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Depending on what happened it might be best to just reinstall it.

http://www.shopsmith.net/c_icon.htm

Should get you to the download page and after that see if that fixes it.

Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Shortcut

Post by dusty »

I tried that per your suggestion and this is what I get:

[DEFAULT]
BASEURL=http://www.shopsmith.net

[InternetShortcut]
URL=http://www.shopsmith.net?username=dusty ... &upw=xxxxx

INSTDIR\ssi5.ico

This is on an Internet Explorer web page whose address is:
C:\Program Files\Shopsmith\shopsmith.url

Incidently: If in Internet Explorer I point at (http://www.shopsmith.net?username=dusty ... &upw=xxxxx) I get the shopsmith webpage just as I used to by clicking on the Icon.
dusty
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Shortcut

Post by dusty »

This is an update to my immediate previous post.

If I close out all programs and go back to my desktop and click on the Internet Explorer icon I come up on Shopsmith.net just as I used to when I clicked on the Shopsmith Icon on my desktop.

I suspect that I am going to need directions from someone who knows a LOT more than I do about getting around on this computer.

All of this happened, I think, as a direct result of Microsoft doing an automated update of my system software.:eek:
admin
Gold Member

Icon

Post by admin »

The issue is due to a Microsoft Internet Explorer update, I am looking into a new software system to install the Icon.

If you want to use an Icon to access this site, or any other - you can select the address bar in internet explorer and "drag + drop" it to your desktop and that will accomplish nearly the same thing, just without our logo as part of it.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Thank you for your timely response and your recommendation.

Looking for the good in all things, this has been a real teaching experience for me. I have learned all sorts of things about Internet Explorer and my desktop that I would not have learned if no for this experience.

:) Making Sawdust Safely:)
rolands
Gold Member

Post by rolands »

admin wrote:The issue is due to a Microsoft Internet Explorer update, I am looking into a new software system to install the Icon.

If you want to use an Icon to access this site, or any other - you can select the address bar in internet explorer and "drag + drop" it to your desktop and that will accomplish nearly the same thing, just without our logo as part of it.
When I go to download the Shopsmith Icon I get the following message: The target"" of this internet shortcut is not valid. Go to the internet shortcut property sheet and make sure the target is correct. When I go to properties it says the target is "C:\Program Files\Shopsmith\shopsmith.url". I have no idea if this is correct or if not what it should be. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong. Thank you.
admin
Gold Member

Icon

Post by admin »

You are not doing anything wrong, Microsoft has made a security update in the new Internet Explorer 7 that is keeping customized internet icons from working properly, we are looking into a way around this update if possible.
rolands
Gold Member

Post by rolands »

Thank you for your quick reply.