YouTube Videos featuring Shopsmiths

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: YouTube Videos featuring Shopsmiths

Post by JPG »

everettdavis wrote:As you watch that second video, it shows him measuring it with a tach at just over 210 RPM at the quill.

Everett
I was referring to the first video. Ratios(ignoring sr for the moment) of what appears to be 5-4 as set up in the video.
Notice the cone pulleys are not flipped(small/large pulley) as is 'standard'.

Standard setup is 4-2 and 2-4.

SR ratio range is approximately 1:3.7.(using 0-5 range only).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: YouTube Videos featuring Shopsmiths -10ER Speed Control

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
everettdavis wrote:10E /10ER Speed Control Running https://youtu.be/L3vhOK-FqVU

Tried this embed code but not working....
[youtube]https://youtu.be/L3vhOK-FqVU[/youtube]

Here's another that is interesting
https://youtu.be/-Zk51fhHq-0

Everett
Wonder what speed ranges are obtained with that unusual/reversed pulley arrangement?

Appears to be an 'early'(0-8) version.
Here is a quote from the 10E preliminary manual that Everett is restoring.

"SHOPSMITH is equipped with a three-step cone pulley on the headstock, and a mating pulley for the motor. They will provide the three basic speeds required for nearly all operations. If an intermediate speed is desired, the motor can be moved on the motor bracket to align the pulleys for other ratios. For this condition, it will be necessary also to adjust the distance between pulley centers if the same belt is to be used."

I don't think that made it into the final 10E manual. It is not in the speed changer manual but there is no reason this would not work with the speed changer both with the motor pulley in normal and reverse position and by moving the motor on the mounting bracket. Most of the ranges would overlap but you should be able to get higher or lower than the standard configuration.

Maybe I should buy a digital tach and play.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
everettdavis wrote:As you watch that second video, it shows him measuring it with a tach at just over 210 RPM at the quill.

Everett
I was referring to the first video. Ratios(ignoring sr for the moment) of what appears to be 5-4 as set up in the video.
Notice the cone pulleys are not flipped(small/large pulley) as is 'standard'.

Standard setup is 4-2 and 2-4.

SR ratio range is approximately 1:3.7.(using 0-5 range only).
:confused: :confused: With the speed changer the motor pulley is reversed. That is the way he has it in the video. Yes it is a 4 step pulley.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:
everettdavis wrote:10E /10ER Speed Control Running https://youtu.be/L3vhOK-FqVU

Tried this embed code but not working....
[youtube]https://youtu.be/L3vhOK-FqVU[/youtube]

Here's another that is interesting
https://youtu.be/-Zk51fhHq-0

Everett
Wonder what speed ranges are obtained with that unusual/reversed pulley arrangement?

"SHOPSMITH is equipped with a three-step cone pulley on the headstock, and a mating pulley for the motor. They will provide the three basic speeds required for nearly all operations. If an intermediate speed is desired, the motor can be moved on the motor bracket to align the pulleys for other ratios. For this condition, it will be necessary also to adjust the distance between pulley centers if the same belt is to be used."

I don't think that made it into the final 10E manual. It is not in the speed changer manual but there is no reason this would not work with the speed changer both with the motor pulley in normal and reverse position and by moving the motor on the mounting bracket. Most of the ranges would overlap but you should be able to get higher or lower than the standard configuration.

The 'standard speeds' using the two 234-432 pulleys are 875/170/3500.

The only other two combinations possible yield 1313 and 2333.(3:4 and 4:3)

Yeah I think I had the 'pulley reversal' reversed! :o
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:

The 'standard speeds' using the two 234-432 pulleys are 875/170/3500.

The only other two combinations possible yield 1313 and 2333.(3:4 and 4:3)

Yeah I think I had the 'pulley reversal' reversed! :o
But by moving the motor on the mounting bracket you can align any one of the motor pulley sizes with any one of the head stock pulley sizes. Also you can align all three of the motor pulley sizes with the speed changer.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Can't seem to delete this post???
Last edited by reible on Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote: . . .

But by moving the motor on the mounting bracket you can align any one of the motor pulley sizes with any one of the head stock pulley sizes.*** Also you can align all three of the motor pulley sizes with the speed changer.
You might want to think that through! ;)

*** there are only 5 possible combinations of 432 and 234. :) Ahem! make that 7 :o Add 2625 and 1167 to my previous.

I think it is time for a new thread.http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 28#p229528
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:

But by moving the motor on the mounting bracket you can align any one of the motor pulley sizes with any one of the head stock pulley sizes.*** Also you can align all three of the motor pulley sizes with the speed changer.

*** there are only 5 possible combinations of 432 and 234. :) Ahem! make that 7 :o Add 2625 and 1167 to my previous.

I think it is time for a new thread.
Argh, you were posting when I was. However, what is that above? It should be 3-2 and 3-4 by moving the motor. What does that do vis-a-vis the speed with the standard pulleys and/or the speed changer?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:

I think it is time for a new thread.
Argh, you were posting when I was. However, what is that above? It should be 3-2 and 3-4 by moving the motor. What does that do vis-a-vis the speed with the standard pulleys and/or the speed changer?
I agree, 7 is correct. Again what does that do with the speed changer?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

everettdavis wrote: Tried this embed code but not working....

Everett
The embed codes don't work, use the actual URL instead. ;)
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3vhOK-FqVU[/youtube]
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,