Online Military Exchange Shopping for All Veterans

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Online Military Exchange Shopping for All Veterans

Post by jsburger »

This is from the latest VFW news letter. Nothing really new except maybe the web site to verify your eligibility.

"9. Online Exchange Shopping Eligibility to Expand: Beginning Veterans Day 2017, almost 13 million honorably discharged veterans will be permitted to shop online at all four military exchanges, but you have to first register with VetVerify.org, which will use Defense Manpower Data Center records to verify eligibility. On Veterans Day, eligible veterans will be able to shop online by logging on to the Army and Air Force Exchange Service, Navy Exchange, Marine Corps Exchange, and Coast Guard Exchange websites at, respectively, shopmyexchange.com, mynavyexchange.com, mymcx.com and shopcgx.com. Military exchange shopping is tax-free, plus your patronage helps to return more than $300 million annually to support on-base morale, welfare and recreation programs."

This is the web site to verify eligibility...

https://www.vetverify.org/

This is a good thing and a long time coming for all who served. I assume this new policy will make all vets eligible for the Military Star card. All orders regardless of dollar amount are free shipping when the Star Card is used for payment.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Re: Online Military Exchange Shopping for All Veterans

Post by reible »

It still didn't find me but they have a link to a bit confusing site where you can input more information and with any luck get your name in the data base..... I should here back with in 5 days as to if it was submitted to the right place and had everything filled out correctly........ I really think they went out of their way to make it confusing but it does attempt to keep your mind busy and alert.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
GeorgeM
Gold Member

Post by GeorgeM »

reible wrote:It still didn't find me but they have a link to a bit confusing site where you can input more information and with any luck get your name in the data base..... I should here back with in 5 days as to if it was submitted to the right place and had everything filled out correctly........ I really think they went out of their way to make it confusing but it does attempt to keep your mind busy and alert.

Ed
Ed, I agree -- very confusing. Where did you start? I'm going to have to do this also as I'm not found in their records.

George
wrdavis
Gold Member

Post by wrdavis »

I did the sign up and because (I assume) I'm already 100% VA disabled; can shop right now. But the bummer is I checked pricing and find at least on one camera Nikon Coolpix B500 16MP Digital Camera with Built-in WiFi and Bluetooth - Red is $267.99. Same camera at Amazon is $256.95. So for now not convinced there is any advantage to shopping at the online exchange. Maybe there are other things where the price is better, but not the first item I checked.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Well to be honest the path was so strange I'm not sure I can find my way back through it. And, I'm not sure I did what is needed, should hear this week. Don't want to have you waste your time if my path was the wrong one.

If it works out I'll try and post a few "hints".

Ed

GeorgeM wrote:
reible wrote:It still didn't find me but they have a link to a bit confusing site where you can input more information and with any luck get your name in the data base..... I should here back with in 5 days as to if it was submitted to the right place and had everything filled out correctly........ I really think they went out of their way to make it confusing but it does attempt to keep your mind busy and alert.

Ed
Ed, I agree -- very confusing. Where did you start? I'm going to have to do this also as I'm not found in their records.

George
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

wrdavis wrote:I did the sign up and because (I assume) I'm already 100% VA disabled; can shop right now. But the bummer is I checked pricing and find at least on one camera Nikon Coolpix B500 16MP Digital Camera with Built-in WiFi and Bluetooth - Red is $267.99. Same camera at Amazon is $256.95. So for now not convinced there is any advantage to shopping at the online exchange. Maybe there are other things where the price is better, but not the first item I checked.
I agree not everything is always cheaper through the Exchange. Then again Amazon is not always the cheapest either. However, there are a number of reasons I don't mind paying a few dollars more some time. It is not just about the price.

1. No sales tax. Yes many internet sites don't charge tax either but it is coming sooner or later. Some have already started. The Exchange on line will never charge sales tax just like their brick and mortar stores don't.

2. While the Exchange is not non profit per se, all the money they make goes back to the military Morale Welfare and Recreation program. That directly supports active duty personnel as well as us retirees and anyone else authorized to use the MWR program.

3. If you obtain the Military Star charge card all purchases are free shipping regardless of the dollar amount. No annual Amazon Prime fee or minimum dollar amount.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

At present active and retired military only. So just being a vet doesn't cut it. If that changed it would be a nice addition to us just vets. Did not see that change even hinted at........ so don't want to hold my breath.

Ed
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

reible wrote:At present active and retired military only. So just being a vet doesn't cut it. If that changed it would be a nice addition to us just vets. Did not see that change even hinted at........ so don't want to hold my breath.

Ed
I assume you are replying to my #3 above. At the present time active duty and retirees (and some others) are the only ones that can shop at the Exchange. That is what is changing, including all that served. If not please explain what you mean.

As for the Military Star card, I just got off the phone with the Exchange headquarters in Dallas, TX. I talked to an Exchange Credit Program Representative. If you are eligible to shop at the Exchange you are eligible for a Star Card. As for not being hinted at, my assumption was correct. If you are an eligible shopper regardless of actual military status (Active duty, retired, Vet, Purple Heart recipient, 100% disabled, etc.) you are eligible for the Star Card.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I was just out at the star card site and it says active and retired, as of what ever it was 30 minutes ago. Now there might be other provisions if you have the proper ID which is what you need when you apply.

"You must meet eligibility requirements to receive a Military Star Card. You can apply for a card if you are currently a member of the armed services. It doesn’t matter which branch you serve. You will need a military ID or Common Access Card (CAC) to start the application process. If you are a retired member of the military, you can also apply for a Military Star Card."

quote from:

https://www.usmilitary.com/29539/the-mi ... star-card/

Ed
dynabase
Gold Member

Post by dynabase »

All your questions will be answered on Nov 11 2017 after the program changes.