Dead brand new Powerpro

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Dead brand new Powerpro

Post by JPG »

Kinda hard to throw manpower at anything when you do not have any 'excessive' personnel.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
sawmill
Gold Member

Post by sawmill »

I would be pulling it off and sending it back. I think for the amount of money he spent and the length of time he has waited is long enough. It is not his fault that it does not work and ShopSmith shoud have been on ths problem several days ago. On another web site last week there was a question asked about shopsmith and 2 of the comment were don't buy one beuse you cannot get parts for them. I don't know wat that as about and the posting was taken down because it was not a wood working site. As I said on ther I have never had a problem and they have always been more than helpful
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I reached out to Teknatool International to see where similarities exist in troubleshooting the same things. When (If) they respond, I will update this.

For those intrested in the historical aspect of the PowerPro and how it came about as has been touched on in the preceeding comments, you may find the two links below of interest.

To read about Nick's original bean spill of sorts regarding the PowerPro in 2009 read:
http://www.nickengler.com/Forum/vanilla ... ssionID=72

In 2010 Admin posted info on the PowerPro in:
http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 011#p58914

I didn't have a lot of time to research this but did find the Teknatool support page at: https://teknatool.freshdesk.com/support/home

Under the Publicly Posted FAQ section there are 14 entries in the General DVR group - I listed only the first two 2017 documents where they discuss similar issues to those we might see.

These are NOT Shopsmith Documents nor are they listed to help you repair yours as these are for another application in other equipment. I list them to illustrate that the issues some have experienced with Shopsmith DVR systems are not unique to Shopsmith alone. Take no action to repair your Shopsmith without direct instruction from Shopsmith Support. These are for educational purposes only to illustrate similarities of symptoms.

The mounting mechanisms, and mechanical construction of the headstocks they discuss are for other products. Some things may be similar in appearance, others not. The underlying technology is very similar however. - Everett -

(1) FAQ DVR RPS ERRORS
Modified on: Mon, 10 Apr, 2017 at 11:50 AM

Typically RPS ERRORS are a wiring connection or dust obstructing the optic sensors, or a faulty sensor. After clearing the obstruction the lathe may need to be reset.

These pictures show what to expect inside the headstock. Attached are FAQ help sheets on the RPS state error symptom you are getting and how to clear or replace the sensor.

There are four files attached. The first three are relevant to your symptoms. The fourth one is there of illustration purposes to get to the sensor, and replace if necessary. These are PDF's

DVR.FAQs check Run Low RPM
DVR0 ERROR DVR RPS State Error0
DVR1 ERROR DVR RPS State Error1 STAGE 2
DVR2 ERROR Replacing the RPS Rotor Position Sensor

RPS0 means the connection is open from the 5 pin ribbon cable on the board to the sensor board. The cable is usually zip tied to the sensor board so that connection is not like a problem, just the one on the board. RPS1 means something obstructing the optics (dusty).

If you have verified the connection and cleared the sensor, the sensor and/or the cable needs replacement. We sell the sensor assembly for 42.00 + 8.00 s/h.

If your DVR lathe is less than two years from date of purchase from a dealer, it falls under the electrical warranty.
Please reply with your ship to address, serial number of the lathe, and if under warranty, dated proof of purchase receipt. If out of warranty, give us a call with a credit card.

(2) FAQ DVR STOP/START Fault/Error/No Voltage/Low Voltage
Modified on: Tue, 31 Jan, 2017 at 10:03 AM

Typically Fault/Error/No Voltage/Low Voltage is a wiring connection.. Check the power receptacle first. Then unplug the power and remove the four screws to the control panel. Check the control panel connections to the interface board. Unplug and replug both ends of the grey ribbon cable from the interface board to the keypad panel, and from the interface board to the main board. Retest with power.

If necessary, examine all of the 4 sets of connectors pictured, especially the 6 pin molex. It may have connectors inside the plastic that have expanded with time/heat/fatigue.

There are four files attached relevant to your symptoms. One explains how and how to check connections. The other three how to remove the board and panel for inspection or replacement.

FAQ DVR POWER FAULT INTERMITTENT 6 pin molex
FAQ DVR Change the DVR CONTROL BOARD
FAQ DVR Change the Control Board DVR 3000
FAQ DVR Removal and Installation OF NOVA DVR XP CONTROL PANEL
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I received an answer from Teknatool:

"Wouldn't have any further information regarding their use for the DVR as it is purchased from us and used in their machines but all service and support for such machines will be going through Shopsmith and not Teknatool. This includes warranty, tech support, servicing all of which will be done though them. All very valid questions, I have listed the service line for them for you below."

I suspect that is by contracted terms negotiated previously.

They are showing support info on the Nova at their site, but not the Shopsmith. I don't know if that is something that Shopsmith wants to consider, or if it is even an option with Teknatool.

My point in posting the above illustrates that the error codes, programming and functionality is applicable to systems made for Shopsmith and others. It does clarify that they are directly supporting it themselves.

I don't know what is the cause of the specific problem the new owner is experiencing.

Perhaps Admin could weigh in on these issues as something is clearly taking a long time for them to respond to this current failure.

Shopsmith has always been engaging and trying to help me in every way possible, but I don't personally own a PowerPro yet. I definitely plan to though.

Everett
number3456
Gold Member

Post by number3456 »

i called back this afternoon and Brooke said she had not heard back from the engineers. Will try again tomorrow. In the meantime I have a rather expensive potential boat anchor in my shop. If this is how they intend to resolve issues I wonder how long the company be around.
520 now upgraded to Mark 7, 520 "shorty", 500 converted to a dedicated drill press.
2 - bandsaws, jig saw, belt sander, strip sander, 4" Jointer, planer, air compressor.
ClearVue dust collection system.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

JPG wrote:Kinda hard to throw manpower at anything when you do not have any 'excessive' personnel.
Folkerth is still around, if nothing else he could call and say, hey we are having .... but rest assure we will stand behind this product and you can either wait for ... to change or ask for a full refund.

At his point someone needs to be contacting this customer.
videobear
Gold Member

Post by videobear »

Initially, my PowerPro upgrade would not power up at all. I partially disassembled it and traced the problem to a loose ribbon cable...it had come off the pins during assembly. This cable is NOT held on very securely, and maybe your initial test run caused it to vibrate loose?
number3456
Gold Member

Post by number3456 »

No it is not a loose connection. Good suggestion but been there and done that.

I received an email from customer service this morning and they are looking into sending me a carton to ship my headstock to them and they will put in a new motor and make sure it works and then send it back to me.

So we are getting there...
520 now upgraded to Mark 7, 520 "shorty", 500 converted to a dedicated drill press.
2 - bandsaws, jig saw, belt sander, strip sander, 4" Jointer, planer, air compressor.
number3456
Gold Member

Post by number3456 »

No it is not a loose connection. Good suggestion but been there and done that.

I received an email from customer service this morning and they are looking into sending me a carton to ship my headstock to them and they will put in a new motor and make sure it works and then send it back to me.

So we are getting there...
ARCretired
Gold Member

Post by ARCretired »

Occasionally my PowerPro lights up, but no error message or other display. This doesn't happen very often (once or twice in the last 6 months), but did happen a number of times when the machine was new (early this year). I found that holding down both ON and OFF buttons while turning on the master switch, then releasing both buttons at the same time, always makes it start up normally. I mentioned this to SS early this year, but didn't hear anything from them - as far as helping them diagnose the problem. They did send me some service materials when I first contacted them. Since this is a rare occurrence, I haven't looked into loose connections, dust, etc. If this becomes a more regular problem, then I'll probably dig deeper.